Hide an amp from my wife.......

Username: Mememegetgetget

Post Number: 1
I want to hook up an amp to power my full range 6*9's on my rear deck, but want to be able to switch the amp off with a simple toggle switch in the remote turn on lead which will then leave the speakers powered by the head unit... can I leave the speakers wired to the head unit and connect an amp that will sometimes be on without doing too much damage? Or am I going to need to create some kind of ellaborate swtching mechanism that cuts the head units power to the speakers when the amp is on? If the latter is required, any recomendations would be appreciated....

Username: Noblemobile

Van Nuys, CA USA

Post Number: 8
Face the music with the wife. To much work

Big D
Unregistered guest
Yea quit being a wuss about it, you got bigger problems than what a switch can take care of

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1909
Yes, it'll be louder and cleaner, but if she doesn't care about audio that much she's not going to be listening for a difference, or notice that she doesn't have to turn the volume up as high. The addition of an amp isn't going to change the sound characteristic as much as it changes just the true raw power. She'd notice an amp taking up space in the trunk itself or that toggle switch before she would notice the actual sound of it.

Bronze Member
Username: Sas

Post Number: 40
not trying to put u down but if your wife dosnet support u and your passon for car audio, and then she dose not appreciate you trying to share it with her, then you do have bigger problems then trying to hide the amp. BUT if u wanted to hide the amp good. it may take a good day, but it will be relaxing. find a spot on the back deck and mount the amp there. to make it look even beter build a plate that will cover it (perhaps some fiberglassing), kept in mind that you need to make sure it has plenty of breathing space. unless your wife is really looking hard for it in that spot, i think you will be just fine. :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Ctx

Post Number: 65
put a toggle switch on your remote wire and mount it under you seats(also works good when your trying to tell police officers that you dont have a loud system)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1917
Just out of curiosity, why are you trying to hide the amp in the first place? Just a money thing, like she'll kill you if you spend it or something?

Post Number: 2
I'm trying to hide for a number of reasons really..but mostly its because I don't feel like having the "I put my amp back in the car" discussion with my wife.

I've had 3 set ups ripped off, which is another reason the wife would object, even though I have no intention of throwing a sub in the trunk this time.

And no it's not the money thing, I allready have an amp laying around.

It's also not so much me being a wuss as it's me being "non-confrontational", she doesn't know about it, we don't have to disagree about it enough said.

And about the too much work comment... I don't care about that I've now got it in my mind I want to try this set up so if anyone knows how or has any other suggestions, Cool, if you just want to flame me for my motivation then don't bother replying at all.

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 165
what kind of car?

Post Number: 3
It's a 99 hyundai Elantra GLS, I have an Aiwa head unit and some JBL 3 way 6*9's in the back, the amp I have laying around is junky and old, but it will cost me nothing and put out more power then they are getting now it's an Advent 4x50watt (rms I think) bridgeable to 2 channels which is how I'll run it. Hooking up the amp is the easy part I've got it all run allready from previously stolen set ups... my concern is making the amp not function at the flip of a switch, and having the radio power the speakers after that flip... I figure a relay setup powered by the amp turn on remote lead will work I've just never used them and don't have much knowledge in that realm.... toggle switch on the remote line gives/cuts power to the relay(s) (I'd love to be able to use just one)...when relay is powered it switches the the speaker inputs from the head unit to the amp, when power is cut (via the simple toggle) the relays switch back and the speakers get input from the head unit...

I know it will work, does anyone have any suggestions on type of relay that will cause the least loss/interference, know of any other concerns, or have any suggestions about my proposed set up?

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 169
i agree with Jonathan. just hook the thing up. Mount it upside down to the rear deck. (Kinda outasight) and hook er up. Chances are she'll never see it. Just remember to turn it back down when You are done driving it. Good luck, but I don't think I would try to pull one. Honesty is the best policy.

Post Number: 4
Well, now that I've done some reading it doesn't seem like rocket science.... now if only I can find a 4PDT 12V DC 30A relay (and socket)

After I actually install the amp and my "device" I may tell the wife about it... hiding it was my original inspiration for this project but it's turned into something else now.

Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Chevy_for_life

Post Number: 21
Guyz no matta what you do he's gonna do it so myswell help the guy i mean if nothin else he blows up his amp and he's the one that wanted to do it.. i mean..who cares its his stuff.. and he's the one askin for help..

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1923
That relay just seems like a lot of work for nothing IMO, but anyway, I think it'd be easier to hook up toggle switches. Use a double pole double throw slider switch (one for L channel and one for R), then run the pos of the head unit to one terminal and the pos of the amp through another, then wire the center pole to the speaker terminal. A double pole double throw slider switch allows you to control two different circuits(when one is on, the other is off), basically, and has 3 positions. Then use a single throw switch to control the remote wire. Much simpler than diodes and still easy to use.

Post Number: 5
Problem is, from my understanding is that the circuit must be broken between the amp & the speaker or Head Unit and the speakers, at any given time. If I were to use toggles, they'd have to be trunk mounted or I'd have to run wires all over the place... with the relay (sitting in the trunk) I get to utilize wiring that's allready run, the remote turn on lead, and just splice a toggle in it somwhere up front. The remote line with the toggle set to "on" then powers the relay which opens the circuit between the head unit and the speakers and closes the circuit between the amp and the speakers, the reverse of course happens when the toggle is switched to off.

My idea protects both components, I now just need to get the part(s) preferably a 4 pole Dual Throw Relay rated for 12V & 30A anyone know where I can find that?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1925
Well, it's just one wire(pos) from each side of the amp, but your relay idea up top will work. My idea isolates both as well. I just figured since you're gonna already have a toggle for the remote wire, two more wouldn't really be an issue. As far as the relay, a google search will land you one. http://www.bcae1.com/switches.htm
This explains a double pole double throw. It's either one or the other, it would perform the same as the relay.

Post Number: 6
I've been googling my relay for hours.... unfortunately I can't find a single relay to do what I want, I'll have to use 2 DPDT relays... not a hug issue but I would have preffered just one.

Relay's aren't actually difficult to hook up and I'd recomend them to anyone installing a external cooling fan, or other device that you'd want turned on with your amp rather then ruining a nice looking dash or console with switches everywhere.

Thanks for your replies Jonathan

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 238
Getting the amp to turn off is no big deal. The trick is cutting the connection between the h/u and the speakers. If thats not done and the amp is turned on you run the risk of frying the outputs on your h/u. I'd make sure that my system was idiot proof or be ready to explain to your better half the copious amount of smoke emanating from the cd slot.

Personally I'd just put the thing in but I guess it is kinda fun to pull one over on the ol lady.

:-)

-Fishy

Anonymous

you just need to men up!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
best thing and most secure thing, this is what i did. put a thick mdf board on the bottom of your back deck. to secure the mdf board use some thick bolts/nuts. now mount the amp on the bottom of the mdf board. now when you mount it this way it will be hard to see when your standing looking into the trunk. when they do try to steal the amp this will b differcult because you cant get into there and the amp is basicly secuured to the frame of the car. now your wife will feel 100% sure that this amp will not be stolen and you can play the 6x9's anytime you want

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1930
No, relays aren't that hard to hook up, but it's a more complicated circuit than the switches would be. And when dealing with audio, the simpler the better. Relays will have an internal resistance (of course switches will too, but less so) that will add to total impedance. I don't really know any online sites carrying relays, I get them at work (I don't really use them in car audio, but if I ever need them...)

Post Number: 9
I actually installed the amp last night, and by last night I mean like midnight no special tricks just did it. In the process I also re-wired my head unit (correctly this time) and managed to reconnect a bunch of things that got screwed up on my last break in...instrument panel clock, door ajar/key in ignition chime, map lights, & dome/door open light. The radio was bonking out because of a short so my wife was expecting me to be re-wiring, I added the amp at the same time... and she got some extras in the process.

Now though because it was soo late, after a full day of work and an evening of class, and I was tired I didn't do something right because I'm getting some engine noise #@%%$ (Which she did in fact notice this morning) I can't mess with it this weekend because I'm getting surgery, which is how I justified doing the re-wire so late last night, she of course didn't care but was curious about my choice of hour. I figure she may notice the amp, she may not, I'm not hiding it from her, although I didn't consult her before doing it, which is kind of disrespectful in my opinion but I'm not a little bitchboy that has to ask for permission from my wife before doing stuff. anywho it's in, now I just have to tolerate the engine noise for a week or so.

I decided that my above schematic was correct and would have worked just dandy, so I don't need to go through with actually doing it, it was fun to puzzle out though and now I know about relays woo hoo...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
alternator noise. are your rca's ran along side your power wires? are power wires vcrossing the rca wires....is the ground secured. tell your wife right when you wake up, you will b to out of it to argue and if she hits u the pain medicine willbe kicking in.....jp :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us