Adire brahma 12 vs Image Dynamics IDMAX 12

midtown
Unregistered guest
im looking at both of these subs and im wondering which one would be a better buy?

justaninput
Unregistered guest
The Brahma has more xmax, I believe Brahma 27.4mm and idmax 24.9mm, so brahma is louder, but I also believe idmax is one of the best sq sub out there.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1982
Actually, the ID Max displaces more air for the same given sub size. Sheer surface area benefit. Choose SQ according to your ears, both are great.

justaninput
Unregistered guest
Sorry the Brahma has 29mm xmax not 27.4.
Surprise that idmax displaces more air with a shorter xmax, would you please explain. I'm still new all this, thanks

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1985
There are two ways to move air, surface area (cone size) and excursion. It has a TON more surface area due to the peak roll surround. Adire Brahmas surface area is 436 cm^2, ID Max is 545 cm^2. Big difference. Basically, the ID Max has 25% more surface area than the Brahma, and the Brahma has about 15% more excursion than the ID max. I believe the ID Max actually has about the same or more mechanical excursion than the Brahma, x max is just a figure within linear limits. Can't remember, though.

Justaninput
Unregistered guest
Cool. does the brahma has a better motor than idmax? xbl^2 technology for brahma's motor, I'm still in search of more tech info on the idmax. I'm leaning idmax as of right now. Going to ported 2.5 30 hz box, I'm think just getting one instead of 2. as for amp 6500d mtx, on the side note, my test sheet say 2ohms 603 watt at 12.5, how does it put out 775 watts at 2 ohms as it claim on the box? Thanks for your input Jonathan, it's really helpful.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 253
That 775 watt rating is at 14.4 volts.

http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/archive/thunder6500d.cfm

-Fishy

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1991
Well, if your amp is mono and 2 ohm stable, then ID Max d4 is your choice. The Brahma is a dual 2 ohm subwoofer, meaning it can only be wired for either 1 or 4 ohm loads. Your amp puts out 603 watts at 12.5V RMS, it is capable of 775 watts of dynamic power at 14.4V. Basically, it can put out 775 at 14.4 because the supply voltage is higher. As far as the XBL^2 motor, it's a fantastic design. The ID max uses more old school ways for SQ, by low moving mass, good linearity, and a strong motor to hold the coil in the flux. The ID Max is more efficient due to suspension design and low moving mass. Brahma keeps a little more linearity at high volumes. Both are excellent subs, I wouldn't say one design is "better" than the other, both designs accomplish their purpose exceptionally.

Just aninput
Unregistered guest
I'm sold on the idmax. I had just finishing reading the other post about the idmax voice coil problem, I called idmax support, they says that the new v3 had corrected the problem, is that true?
new sub, new component speaker, new deck...just notice how stupid I was investing in sony(deck), poineer(speaker 3 ways), and SPL sub. Now have ot replace them all, it's almost everything..lol

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1998
I've posted on that thread. Go to the link where the post originated and actually look at the guy who started the topic, not the brightest cookie. The voice coil problem was mainly v1s, v2s had them rarely, but the v3 has corrected them, yes. Only "issue" I've heard from the v3 was surround ripple(it's actually designed to ripple), resulting in a little degraded SQ at higher volumes.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1999
I wasn't talking about sean, I meant the guy that started the topic on the link I posted, by the way. Don't want to start beef that's not deserved.

Justaninput
Unregistered guest
I see what you mean, thanks for clearing that off the air.
I thought it's differernt, how that ripple surround of the cone moves, it's little rare that 1st but it's very cool.

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 789
Thanks Jon looking out for best intrest of memebers here as you. And you are right the guy was blasted for not being too bright; but i figured someone else posted with this prob on a v2 so i figured mention it in case v3 might be an issue

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2003
hehe that guy is quite humorous if you read some of his posts lol. Anyway, it was a major issue with the v1s, v2s improved, the v3s are a drastic improvement. Not a problem anymore.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us