What is "rem"?

WVU bill
Unregistered guest
my buddy gave me a pyle 400W amp and two 200w 10's. I installed this in my car using 0 UWG welding cable. The positive is hooked to the positive post on the battery and the (+) on the amp. The negative is grounded to a bolt in the trunk and the (-) on the amp. The problem is that the lights on the amp won't even turn on. I'm pretty sure i have a good connection to the battery and a good ground.

There is a post on the amp labeled "rem"
what is this (besides a band?) and is the problem that i have nothing hooked to this?

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 619
It stands for Remote, AMPs are kind of like TV sets, you can plug it in but unless you click the power button nothing will happen. So, rem, is the power button. You need to either go to you Head Unit (deck) and splice the wire into the remote trigger or go to your fuse box and use the IGN or ACC fuse. Just kind of push the wire or splice it in with the small fuse. The remote wire only needs to be about 20 gauge wire, it only carries about 4 volts. So you will need to run another wire.

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 620
Also, 0 gauge wire is pretty heavy duty stuff for just a 400W amp. You only need 8 gauge wire or 4 gauge wire at the most. Usually 0 gauge wire is used for feeding distrubution blocks, and that is only about 1 ft of wire.

WVUbill
Unregistered guest
thanx for the info.

I just fiddled around with it and discovered that the power antenna line worked for remote.

will it hurt my amp to run it on 0 gauge?

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 623
Oh yeah, i forgot to mention that if you anntena is powerd then that works too. It probably wont hurt your amp (i bet you had troble fitting that huge wire in the small plug in port on the amp). If i was you i would just get some 4 gauge wire and run that. I say 4 gauge because if you ever decide to get a bigger amp, you will be wired up already. But i think 0 gauge wire is just to big to be running to a small amp like that. Plus it take more power to power a thicker line, especally when its going to the rear of a car.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us