I have two 12" V-max subs, what kind of amp do i need?

Bronze Member
Username: Dabeast34

Post Number: 26
i have just bought two 12" Cerwing Vega V-max subs, i am really new to all of this car audio stuff and i have no idea what kind of amp that i need. Here is the site with all the information on the subs that i have

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13950

so if u could look at this site and all the info about the subs and tell me what kind of amp i need for two of these subs
-Thanks-

Silver Member
Username: Heavyb

Hopkins, Sc Usa

Post Number: 139
i would get a good mono amp since u got the svc version. get a jbl bp600.1 for about 200 dollars new. alternatives are a kicker 600.1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
whats does the svc version of the sub that i have mean? i realized that it was this version but i did not know what it meant.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1868
Just different impedances. The SVCs are 4 ohm and the DVCs are dual 4 ohm, meaning the DVCs can be wired for a 2 ohm load, two SVCs will present a 2 ohm load in parallel and two DVCs will present a 1 ohm load when wired in parallel.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
what does all that jibberish mean!?!? im really new to all of this car audio stuff and i have no idea what you just said at all. please help me out

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 224
SVC mean single voice coil. DVC means dual voice coil. Vmax's use voice coils with 4 ohm impedance(kinda like resistance). Your subs are strictly 4 ohms but the dvc version can be wired either as a 2 ohm or 8 ohm sub. Since you have the 4 ohm version you're really limited to an amp that produces its best power into a 2 ohm load(your subs wired in parallel).

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
so it would be better to take back the 4 ohm SVC subs, to get the DVC subs of the same brand? Will this give me more options with the amp that i could buy, if i had the DVC version of the sub?

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 234
You can if you want, but you've got limited choices either way you go. The subs you have now would "require" a monoblock stable to 2 ohms, a 2 channel stable to 2 ohms bridged(1 ohm stereo), or a 4 channel amp stable to 4 ohms bridged(2 ohm stereo). With a pair of the DVC's you'd need a monoblock stable to 1 ohm or a regular 2 channel stable to 4 ohm bridged(2 ohm stereo).

Lotsa numbers, huh. I think you're ok with what you have. There's plenty of monoblock amps out there that peform well into a 2 ohm load. Thats what I'd be looking for. Didn't I give you a list of a few in another thread?

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
yeah you did, but i was wondering what the different between DVC and SVC were and i was wondering if i went with one sub or another if i would have more options on the selection of an amp, but you said that either way i do no have a big selection?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us