Awesome question ---------!!

Silver Member
Username: Erik123456

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 114
you just won a million dollars and you can get anything you want build your dream system

and then see if you can match it with something affordable

my dream:
johnathans eclipse hu
mcintosh amps
rainbow components
2 eclipse pro 15's titaniums
all custom install using box ideas from sean the inventor

affordable to compete:
eclipse 3434
infinity perfect components
eclipes amps
1 eclipse aluminum 12 or diamond tdx
cheap ported box

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 361
I'd inport the Top Secret Skyline from japan, gut the interior and redo it with black velvet all around, throw in 2 bride seats...for the system...

Headunit: Clarion VRX935VD

Speakers: Rainbow audio all around...

Speakers amp: Depends on the power ratings, not familiar with power ratings just with the quality of the speaker...probably somewhewre around 80x4...

Subs: 2 12" Resonant Engineering X.X.X's

Amps: Mcintosh

boxs all custom....boy that car would be nice....and still have money left over to buy a desent house...

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 115
black velvet lol :-)

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 648
thanks for the complement erik to my box designs as far as my system ill have to think on it and get back to you

Bronze Member
Username: Wrestlertreece

Post Number: 55
How bout we just say screw the Skyline get a real mans car.. American Muscel baby...Get A Nice Stingray corvette in the year of lets say 69.. put the 572 big block in it..with strait pipes.... with a Ratchit shifter..ooo...that sounds like a ride..hell even if you didnt have a radio it'd sound good just listen to that engine rumble..

Anonymous

Man, that Skyline will burn that lil Vette of yours!

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 118
is there even a 572....? i have seen 427 and 454 and they were fast but if thats a real engine it must be insane

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
yes there is a 572 now its the Biggest Big Block motor made by any manufacture and yes its made by the best company Chevrolet..and buddy.. the fastest car right now is a Vette in the drag races and it dont even have any nos. look up the blue angel

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
there is 3 diffrent types of 572 the top stage 572 motor comes strait from the factory with 720 horse power..but cost around 13 grand

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 119
can it fit in a vette?

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 189
Chevy 2500 HD
3in. suspension lift
nitto tires

take out the back seat.
put in 3 12" X.X.X.'s (vented boxes bout 2.2cuft each)
eclipse HU
rainbow components
mcintosh amps
2 200A alts
3 optima batts in the tool box in the bed

oh...and with a little more of the cash, buy an 19" X19 xpress bass-boat w/ a 200HP 4-stroke yamaha, whole new set of tackle, some G-loomis rods (7ft, 6.5ft, and a 6ft) Calcutta reels. also, new yamaha kodiak 4-wheeler, and a Sako 7mm STW w/ a 40mm Leupold scope... :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
see there we go theres a guy that knows not to go with that dang Import crap for a car...We Build Our Cars with our hands not chop sticks!

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 131
lol, G-Loomis = the "Macintosh" of fishing rods. I own a GL2 Muskie rod I use for bottom fishing.

If I had a mil I'd get my Explorer painted, drop it off at Jonathan's, hand him a wad of bills and say "Have at it".

I would insist on adjusting the gains myself, however.

-Fishy :P

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1741
A car I'm considering next is a 69 Fairlane, nice musclecar I'm planning for a little bit of power/cruisability. Jet black and black leather inside (of course with aftermarket A/C lol)

Alpine F#1 Status CDA-7990 head unit.

Rainbow Audio Reference 6.5" components(retail for $7,500, lifetime warranty, fantastic SQ and craftsmanship), active system, mounted in kick panels.

Zapco symbilink processor, leading to EQ-30SL equalizers, then leading to a SLX-4 active crossover, 2 Zapco C2K 6.0 amps for the components, one amp for mids and one for tweets(this is a lot more power than they need, but will provide a TON of headroom and great SQ). Zapco C2K 9.0X amplifier for the subs, bridged to 4 ohms for 2000W RMSx1.

Dual ID Max d4 10" subs, in aperiodic membranes in the package tray of the vehicle. Subs voice coils wired in series, subs wired parallel to amp for a 4 ohm bridged load, giving 1000W RMS to each sub.

Comparable system for less? Not many really. You could do this:

Eclipse 8454 head unit
JL Amps in place of the Zapcos, with Audiocontrol EQT's. Dynaudio or Focal components (considerably cheaper, still sound as good, but of course it's subjective)
ID Max subs aren't that expensive, so you could keep those. Hey, wait a minute, that's my setup :-)

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 243
Id buy a geo. Strap a few (like 4-5 ;) 15" brahmas to the rear. take off the back door. remove the passenger seat to put in a few batteries. custom fit some HO alternators. and use the brahmas to push my car down the highway.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 132
lol, will that all fit in an Explorer Jonathan?

And wth is an "aperiodic membrane" anyways?

I think I want one.

-Fishy

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1743
It'll fit, but aperiodic membranes won't work in an explorer, at least not without a TON of work porting the rear wave outside the vehicle. With an aperiodic membrane, you use insulation between two metal grills, and tune the thickness of the material to mechanically control the resonant frequency of the subwoofer, thus getting a flat response, but with a loss in output (it's quieter than sealed even). It's for pure SQ use. It also puts resistance on the sub, kind of like breathing through your shirt. The rear wave of the sub HAS to be totally seperated from the front, hard to do in an explorer. Works best in vehicles that have a trunk, because you can totally separate the trunk from the cabin. Read up on aperiodic membranes here: http://www.elitecaraudio.com/article.php?sid=18
And what's with that gain crack above...lol?

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 133
lol, I'd have to be involved somewhere in the process.

-Fishy

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1745
hehe, I think we're straight on the issue now, though, I use a scope anyway. Did you see the pic on that site with the 12" subs in the doors of the S10? Pretty cool. I'd like to try 10s or 12s in the doors of a car if they'd fit w/o issues, then components in the kick panels. I think it'd work pretty well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
to put them 12's in that s10's doors would have been a pain in the @$$... i had to cut holes for a guy that was doin that before...dang. thought it would be easier for me to just make him a new door

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1748
Quite a bit of work, but it could be worth it if done correctly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Yea but do me and some of the boyz a favor dont come to a mechanic to cut out half your door..

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 134
So aperiodic membranes are only used in "Infinite Baffle" applications and you'd have those 10's playing in the rear deck of that Fairlane with the membranes venting into the trunk? or would you have the membranes in front of the cone.

I was wondering if you could build such an enclosure into a "large" box that would be like having a smallish trunk. I built a gigantic box for my 10w3d2's(2.8cuft/side) that had a flat response almost all the way down to 20 Hz(according to WinISD). Although it really goes low is kinda sloppy at certain frequencies and doesn't seem to have good power handling characteristics. The group delay gets pretty serious below 30 Hz(25ms+).

Well anyways the box is not acceptable and is just taking up space in my garage and I was wondering I could just seal the ports and use this size box as an IB setup with a aperiodic membrane in front of the cones.

If I get that Xtant I'll have access to a one band parametric EQ but will 500 watts even be enough for this setup? I don't have an RTA dealie so I'd have to tune by ear. Nah this won't work.

But would a box this size be ok theoretically? or does it really need to be a "free air" situation.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Fishy Just try it out i mean u got plenty of money dont yu...LOL

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 135
Nah I didn't see that S10, gonna go look now. An average door is like what 1.5 cu ft or so? I'd think 2.8 cu ft would be plenty. My box definitely dwarfs my doors or do you "vent" the doors outside in such an application?

I'm kind of interested in what bass in a car is supposed to sound like even if its not loud. I don't know if its my tired PPI or or my 1.625 ft^3 ported box, but my 10w3's occasionally irritate me so much I just turn off my system. I swear my old 10w5's sounded better.

Hopefully its the amp. I can't afford to replace both.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
LOL.. I dunno i think the guy that i cut out the door deal for..when he had em all hooked up.. sounded like someone had a dang hammer hittin the side of his car.... I just said i'd make it so he could put one in never said i'd sound good..

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 136
lol @ Jacob.

Yeah I have ACCESS to a bit of cash, but I have no business spendin it all on my truck. I went that route in my younger years. Bought scratch n dent stuff like crazy just to hear what it sounded like. When it comes to car audio a lil curiosity sure can get you in trouble with the credit card companies fast.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
yea.. thats why i only use CASH.. Fishy u gotta be smarter than what ur workin with dont trust somethin u cant take apart and put it right back together is my motto and they wont let me take apart the credit card machine.. i tried..LOL j/j

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 137
Well back to diggin ditches then. Been told a few times that I act dumber than dirt.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
lol i just always told everyone that..

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1750
The reason it works with a trunk is because some air will leak out of the trunk, and when the trunk is totally sealed from the cabin, the air pretty much has to go somewhere, so it'll go past the trunk seals, hence "infinite" baffle. If the air is in a box, you'll still have resonance and defeat the purpose of the membrane altogether, plus the efficiency will be lower. Same with a door, a little air will always leak out via the windowsill and in other places (it usually will, anyway, if it doesn't leak out you have to make it do so). Anyway, you need to mount it such as infinite baffle, it won't really show benefit in a box. The good thing is that it doesn't take up near the space of a box, and it works very well in a package tray if you can fit subs in there. Leaves you a lot more space to install amps, processors, etc.(you can install them where the sub box would have been, looking nice and also losing almost no trunk space) It will also allow you to show off the woofers magnet if you do a front loaded membrane, and you can cover the front up with breathable cloth, etc. for a stock appearance inside the vehicle(that's what I plan to do if I ever do the Fairlane, so it looks like it could have been stock). You can do the membrane either in front or behind, it's just preference. This site gives pros and cons of front and rear loading of the membrane. http://www.maximacar.com/aperiodic.htm

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 143
Yeah thats what I figured. I just thought I'd see what they'd sound like. It seems that trunks/doors would add some resonance. You'd still be effectively increasing the stiffness of the driver some. I mean a leaky sealed box sounds "similar" to a well sealed one. I know I've built them :P.

I was thinking about covering my subs with with grillcloth like in home apps. How does that effect ports? My B&W 602's ports are covered that way, but I've never seen that for subs in mobile applications.

I'm worried. Those JL Audio logos just scream "Steal Me!".

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 578
Fu*k rice burners, f a r t cans/ pipes. The only reason there 'fast' is because of NOS. No other reason! Plus they look like sh*t. I hate them (even though i own a CRV). Its all about muscle, i mean real engines, A f a r t can has as much muscle as a 2 year old boy.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1754
Shouldn't affect it too much really, depends on what kind of cloth you use. You could go to a junkyard and get the fabric used for speaker enclosures from certain cars. As far as the door, it depends on how much it leaks out to start with, but I haven't done AP in a door to know how much of a difference it would make, I'd think you'd have to open a port somewhere to get a pretty good bit of air out, especially with cars that are tightly sealed, but remember most car doors have holes in the bottom of the doors to drain water out to prevent rusting. You have to consider that with a membrane controlling the cone, the rear wave is slowed down a lot, the air in most doors is a pretty large amount, and it'd be so slow that it wouldn't make a huge amount of difference. In a trunk it would be even less so.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1755
Pat, you're leading yourself into an all out war here lol, I've been there. Just be prepared to combat hp/liter comments, etc. There is one import I like(or did like), the 90s model Toyota Supras (I liked them BEFORE the Fast and the Furious craze). Now that the movie has come out it ruined me on them, though, now everybody wants one. Plus these days if you have a Supra that is stock, people look at you like you're driving your mom's Honda Accord grocery getter, wondering where the vinyls and body kits are. They expect a performance import to look the part (even if it has absolutely NOTHING to do with performance). To each his own, I'm not into showing off like that, I prefer clean lines on a vehicle. What turned me on to the Supra in the first place was it's clean lines, nice interior, all around good performance. I drove one that a friend had, 6 speed, turbo, extremely nice car. You have to consider that it's not the typical import, though, it has much more displacement than most of the imports out there b/c of the inline six, so low end torque is a lot better than 4 cylinders, and a lot smoother ride. Import cars can make a lot of power, but what I don't like about them is that you have to push the limits of practicality to get this kind of power, such as with 30+ lbs of boost, NOS, and using ridiculously high RPMS. I don't like the idea of paying for racing fuel, and dealing with basically a time bomb as far as reliability goes. It's all in who's driving it, if you want a lightweight, fast corner carver, an import works well, but for a powerful, reliable daily driver, or a drag racer, an older musclecar, IMO, is a better choice. It'll also hold more resale value as long as you don't hack it. I prefer older musclecars, easy to work on and in most cases makes a better power/daily driver combination since they can make a lot of power on pump gas, plus the power comes on in more usable everyday RPMS because of the low end torque. Not saying a V8 can't have great high RPM performance and excellent handling, I built a 427 SOHC engine making nearly 800hp, and had it in a 67 Mustang fastback, no it wasn't a grocery getter nor did it have any kind of gas mileage, it did run well on 93 octane fuel without detonation, and it would tach up to around 7,000 if I let it. Also held the road like no tomorrow, a V8 powered car can have extremely good handling if you know what you're doing, and can balance out the front/rear weight ratio. I miss that car now :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 37
jonathan, sounds like it was a fun car, i have a 69 mach1 thats fully tubbed, all aluminum int and dash, full roll, 513gear w/a spool, 5500 stall and a very excited small block, if your interested in buying a mustang again drop me a line via e-mail or PM.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
How many times i gotta tell you guyz screw all these Fords and Jap cars.. Get a ReaL mans CHEVY!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
well, i bought a 84 monte carlo for the drivetrain to put in the 67ss camaro i'm building, it has a ford 9"spool w/456 gears, 3300 stall, line locker, trans brake, msd two step, 350 .060 over scat stroked too a 388. world product heads studded n girdled with all arp studs throughout including block, fed by a pro form center section/metering block with holley d.pumps, and oh ya a fresh squirt of nos compliments of edelbrock and she'll run low 10's. all that is goin in the camaro.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1757
Very fun, I hit high 10s in it, never got to get the full potential out of it, got kicked off of Atlanta dragway b/c I didn't have a rollcage. Didn't think it'd do near that. Should have kept it for future mods, would have liked to add a blower, gut the interior, add a rollcage, and do some weight reduction. I would have done better with a built C6 and a higher stall converter, plus some lower (numerically higher) gears. That car pulled HARD past 5,000, top end was just scary, gotta love the 427, bigger bore and shorter stroke than the other Ford big blocks. From what I hear it's still running, it's been quite a few years since I sold it. 69 Mach was a sweet car, my uncle had a 71 Mach I, Grabber Yellow, flat black hood, 351 Cleveland and a 4 speed(close ratio if I remember correctly). I'm looking more for a daily driver than an all out warrior on the track, getting older I guess. My last car was nice, 69 Mercury Cougar XR-7 convertible, but at the time I REALLY needed a truck for work and didn't have the money to have both. That was a sweet cruising car, that's more what I'm looking for, I'd like to find another one in the future, but it's gonna be a while until I get another car. I'd like either another Cougar or a 69 Fairlane, more of a cruising car, probably a 351W with about 350-400 hp, T-5 transmission from the newer Mustanges and 3.73s in the back, pretty balanced package, good all around daily driver.

Silver Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 254
Jacob, if you haven't notice, the past few years for Chevy haven't exactly been stellar. They dropped the F-body and the 5.7 in their pickups. Since then the Pickups have gone to sh*t, even the Duramax has lots of issues. Right now, I'd say Ford has a lead (as much as I hate to admit). Pontiac is going to be respectable again I think though. The new GTO is much more than I thought it would be. Drove one a couple months ago. It screams Z28. The new G6 sedan ( the one Oprah gave away) is said to the the best Foreign competition the US has come up with for a while in a mid size sedan. Anyway, enough on that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
GET THE 572 HIGH OUT PUT BIG BLOCK!!!!

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 145
Any of you guys ever play this?

http://www.racingnationonline.com/article.php?story=20031019205103774

If you didn't all you gearheads missed out.

Oh and thanks for that last link Jonathan. I think I got the aperiodic membrane thing down pretty good. You get awesome sound quality because your simply adding the right "shock absorber" to achieve a critically damped system. This translates to a system with superior transient response that excels at reproducing musical "potholes" as smoothly as possible.

-Fishy

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1758
How bout the original Corvette smacker, the AC Shelby Cobra 427, Jake?. Also the GT-40 mark IV, and the newer Ford GT. Name a stock Chevy that'll beat them in acceleration and handling. In the 1960s in Nascar, Ford and Dodge OWNED Chevy, until Nascar ruled against hemi-headed engines and Chevy finally leveled out with them. The fastest Corvette in 1/4 mile was the 1990 ZR-1, and it ran a 12.8 by Motor Trend, stock 1966 427 Cobra was 12.2 ran by Car Craft. You'd think after 20+ years, they'd be far past the capabilities of these older cars. Stock AC cobra did 0-100-0 in 10 seconds flat. Not knocking Chevy, but you can't overlook Ford and Dodge either, all have come out with fantastic vehicles.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1759
No problem, you should try AP if you can. Fantastic SQ and midbass transition. One of the few types of "enclosures" that counter resonance, the only that does so with fantastic control of the sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
Dodge just got into nascar for real about 5 years ago so dont be sayin that crap Jonathan u may know your audio but i know my cars.. Ford is junk thats only thing kept my grampa in busness during the great depression...and ur wrong the fastest corvette is the Blue Angel and it dosent even have nos lets see you say that bout your crappy fords..and plus all ford dose is copy of chevy..chevy had el camino ford comes out with ranchero.. its stupid to argue with a mechanic man just dont do it you will lose!!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
i can appreciate that post jon, i grew up around my dads custom body shop, when he wasn't buildin a customer car he was gettin ready for the strip, he raced mopar, 440 six packs, 426 cudas, challengers, all of'em, but the one he regrets most is the "acid dipped" 65 426 dodge cornet that he sold to pay off the house ($5000)due too the wife(mom), (i was too young to remember this one though) but i remember one of the few times he has ever mentioned that car, and he said, "You know the last time i actually cried i was sittin on the front porch watchin my 65 dodge go down the road on a trailer and your mom looked at me kinda laughin sayin "Buddy, its just a car!"....and i told her, "Carroll, you don't have any idea what just happened."
and she didn't, all she knew is that the morgage was now payed off.
the car was called "cookies n cream", it was virgin with very few passes on it, as you probably know those were factory race cars that were chopped up mostly by big daddy don for their aluminum heads, yes aluminum 426 hemi heads in 1965, if she only knew today it worth well over 150k.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1762
I clearly was talking about Dodge in the 1960s, if you know anything about Nascar you'd know Dodge was in their prime in the 1960s in Nascar with the 426 hemi. Like I said, STOCK vehicles that are made by the manufacturer, not aftermarket drag racers. Aftermarket vehicles MIGHT be 5% Chevy, Ford, whatever once it's over with. Ford came out with the Ranchero BEFORE the El Camino idiot. Chevy copied Ford with, hmmm... the Camaro!!! If you're a mechanic, you truly need a history lesson.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
Yea i know what you mean zac in away just makes me sick though my grampa has like 60's and 70's chevelles sittin everywhere rottin and wont let me fix one of em up

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
Yeah Jacob...Jon knows his cars. He's got a few years on ya to know stuff before you were even born....what are you 15, 16? Better let this one go...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
Nah budy.. I've been workin on cars since i was born i can build a car outa nothin but scrach medal and make my own parts even.. aint no one gonna talk down on Chevy not round me.. i'll fight bout it.. and i dont care how big yu are

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
I'm not meaning to disrespect no one on this eaither though so dont take it the wrong way i just know what my car and what Chevys can do...I dont wanna Disrespect Jon cuz he is a gold member in will prolly give me alot of help on information bout audio.. but.. i gotta disagree sorry man..

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1763
I know that feeling, I've had to watch a lot of great cars go down the road. Just plain out sickening, feels like you're going to throw up and cry all day long, especially after you put so much heart and passion into a vehicle like that. Man, I bet he cried after losing that one. You should have seen the look on my eyes when I found that 427 in a junkyard, I was in disbelief. I bought it the same day, couldn't risk letting that one slip past me. The car was so smashed up I didn't even realize it was a Cobra, but the motor was in great shape. My boss is working on a 69 Roadrunner convertible, 340 in it I think, it had hay growing through it so it's going to take a LONG time to get it going. I think it's awesome though, giving a car like that a second chance. That's what this hobby is all about. Roadrunner was one of my favorite Dodge cars.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
I rebuilt a Chevy 409 last summer.. thing was sittin in the back of the shop for like 20 years.. all chromed out i just got done rebuilding it.. and my Grampa sold it for 5 thousand dollars i'm like u could have gotten like 10 outa that but.omg bout made me sick..

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1765
Taking no offense on this one, I'm not leaned for Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, they have all made great cars. I'm not putting down Chevy or any other car for that matter, I drive a 1983 Chevy C10 truck everyday. My point is that it's cool that you like Chevys, but you can't put down every other vehicle just because that's your preference, that's just ignorant. I prefer Fords, especially the musclecars, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna say Chevy and Dodge suck, they all have had their good and bad eras, and they all have made great vehicles throughout the years. IMO Chevy has totally gone down the tube lately, ugly cars and reliability is horrible from what I've seen so far, they need to really evaluate their standing and make some improvements, especially with the trucks. They killed themselves when they stopped using the 350. There's a NAPA dealer in my town that has a 62 Impala SS convertible I wanted, but he wouldn't sell it and just let it totally rust out to nothing, that just makes me sick. He has a LOT of cars just sitting in the yard, a lot of Stingrays, Chevy IIs, Fairlanes, etc that he won't let go of and just let's them die. The whole point of having a classic car is to drive it, show it, or put it to some form of use, not to put it on concrete blocks, they deserve a chance from whoever is willing to invest the time and money into them. 327 and a 4 speed in the car, would have cruised very well. I wanted to buy that car, restore it and give it to my dad, his first car was a 64 Impala SS with a 400 small block and a powerglide, I thought he'd like to revisit his youth so to speak.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1767
409 was a great motor. One of my uncle's friends still has one sitting in the shop, only thing that he did to it was clean up the heads and drill out the oil drain in the cylinder heads, he's had it since 1964, and wrecked 7 vehicles with it lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
they had weak cranks, gotta be carefull not to over rev those old 409's or you'd have a mess, but their low end torque is monsterous. i want to build a model a roadster with an old flathead, i'd like to keep original to the era, you know, painted motor, flat black body, white walls w/babymoons.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1772
That's quite a project, we have a lot of car collectors down here, a guy in our town has an A model that he and his dad built, runs very well, and unlike most people that have these cars, he even drives it every once in a while(small town, he wouldn't drive it in traffic or anything). His is hunter green. Had a T model before that, T and A models are the only cars that he restores. I love the sound of a good running flathead. There are so many cars I'd like to restore, if I did a flathead I'd like to try either a 49 Ford or 50 Mercury. This hobby has grown so much since I've grown up, it's just that when I was growing up I never thought that cars like the 60s-70s musclecars would amount to anything, back then people just saw them as old cars that you could drive the wheels off of, kind of like you would treat an early 90s Honda or Toyota nowadays. Just a point A to point B kind of thing.

Anonymous

Fvck any other car, Chevy is god and especially all box chevys, best cars ever made and thats all i drive, period.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1781
Note that you had to post anonymous to be brave enough to make a statement like that.

Username: Alpha_male

Post Number: 7
I'll let you guys argue about your old muscle cars while I slap a pair of RExxx12 behind the seats of a 2004 Ferrari 360 Modena with twin Norwood turbos. Silver of course. O yah and 2 Arc Kar 900x1s.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
I agree with the annomys guy but jonathan.. chevy may have gone down hill but look at fords..my dad just gota 2005 F-150 and he's hated it since he got it.. its trans is screwed up brand new and screwed up.. Never had that problem with his Brand new chevy..Alpha Male get a life..

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 120
wow this thread exploded....i emailed rainbow trying to get dealer info 7500 doesnt sound quite as bad with lifetime warantees lol but its still a mite steep

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1782
I've seen extreme problems with the Chevy vortec and duramax engines, more so than the Ford modular engines and Powerstroke diesels. Just my experience with them, my girlfriend's dad has an Avalanche, a lot of people at work have Chevy trucks and the majority of them that had trouble linked it to a similar problem, either valvetrain or the mains. I haven't seen near the problems out of the Ford modulars. Just my experience though, yours may be different. You have to admit that in the last few years Ford has put a LOT more effort into improving their design emphasis than GM has, plus have made a lot more improvements in their overall lineup. You've obviously made up your mind that Chevy is the best thing since sliced bread, and that's fine, but it's totally stupid for us to sit here trying to start a flame war over the issue. You've obviously got your opinion and I've got mine. I've maintained a neutral basis and stated that all of these companies have their pros and cons, and everyone is going to like something different, it doesn't make one better than the other and it doesn't constitute someone saying "everything else just sucks". If you can't handle that you may as well just stop posting. If you agree with anon above it just proves your immaturity.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1783
Erik, the Rainbow Platinums are very close in overall performance, they retail for a little over $2000. Easier to find as well, but I'm not sure what kind of warranty they come with.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
Yes Jonathan i will agree with you there when chevy went to the Vortec 350 they lost all there realiabilty..but.. i was never a fan of the regular 350 i always like the 327

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1788
Totally, I like the 327 better than the 350 also, 350s are EVERYWHERE, even in old Fords lol. The 327 just isn't quite as common(a lot of why I like it more), but a better engine imo. Both are some of the only small blocks that'll fit into nearly anything you throw at it. Cheaper parts as well. I have a 350 in my truck and it's been a very good motor, I got the truck from my dad and it had over 300,000 miles on the original motor when I got it. I've rebuilt it since, and have recently added some mods to get some more power out of it, while still having plenty of towing power. If you haven't tried them yet, Comp Cams Xtreme Energy cams are GREAT, awesome powerband on them, I've used the Magnum and High Energy cams in the past, and highly recommend the Xtreme Energy cams, I'm using the 256H. I also got an Edelbrock Performer Airgap manifold, Barry Grant Road Demon 625 cfm carb, AFR 190 heads, Thorley Tri-Ys, 2.5" pipe, leading to Magnaflows out the back. Also added alum. radiator and Edelbrock water pump, and changed the tranny out for a TH-350 and installed a B&M shift improver kit. I feel it's a great everyday driving engine combo, very torquey and responsive. The AFR heads are definately the best I've used on a Chevy street engine.

Post Number: 8
Jacob Treece- "..Alpha Male get a life.." Please explain how you justify that comment...

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
ok dude whats the fun of just buyin a fast car...???? why not build one up so you can say i put my sweat and blood into that...

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 174
Yeah I agree.

"My Dad's got an awesome set of tools"

-Jeff Spicoli (Fast times at Ridgemont High)

:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
Thx Fishy glad to see i'm not the only one that appricates a mans handy work.. some people just like everything givin to done for em.. dang whimps...spoiled is what they are

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1803
You're more likely to appreciate and take care of a vehicle that you put a lot of work into. It becomes your pride and joy, the downside is if you ever have to get rid of these vehicles that you'll nearly cry and you'll miss them forever :-)

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 180
lol, I put in a new alternator in my Explorer and thats about as far as this "gearhead" is gonna go. My toolkit includes a hammer, a couple wrenches and a pair of vice grips and a hacksaw blade.

Silver Member

Post Number: 275
I second that, minus the hacksaw blade! :-)

Post Number: 9
That is a good point but >I THINK< that the italians look so much cooler.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 184
Yeah, it takes a good while to cut out a hole for a 10 inch sub that way, but it can be done!

I got your steenkin router here buddy.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1810
lol. Alpha, you're entitled to your opinion as we are, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, I'm sure we've all drooled over a Ferrari at least once in our lives, I know I have, GTB/4s ring a bell. Out of the classic European cars, I love the 1954 Jaguar D type race models, just a sweet running car, along with the 550 Spyder from Porsche and the Aston Martin Db race models of the 1960s.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 581
Well, i just put my opinion on this thread about rice burners just to get a rise (to see how many ricer's were out there). I always like to laugh when they answer back all pi*sed and tell about how much money they spent on all that plastic (even though they say it fiberglass). I am a SS fan, I love Chevy. Not to get another rise out of people but i think the only good car FORD produced was Shelby Cobra, not anything else. I like it because Shelby built it (Ford slapped there name on it). I also like the Gone in 60 seconeds 'elenor' (has to be that exact car, no other GT 500). The only reason i like that is because Chip Foose and his team designed and built it. Other than that leave it to SS Camaro, Corvett, Chevells and what not!

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
Now see this man.. He is smart...I think I like you Pat Lorenz u are one smart man...

Anonymous

i would prolly nut myself if you was given a Chevelle!!!....lol

Anonymous

if i was*

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1813
You're talking about the Cobra, Ford had much more to do with the drivetrain of that car than Shelby did.

I'd take a GT-40 Mark IV or AC Shelby Cobra with a 427 long before any Camaro, Chevelle, or Corvette personally

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
I'd take any of those cars before i'd take the Shelby cobra Jonatahn.. just cuz i trust chevy more than i do any ford or shelbey..I've grown up round Chevy maybe thats why....Plus i know what they can handle.. and what they cant..Cuz if I dont then i gotta work on em.. All Fords my uncle owns cant compaire to any chevy... An S10 can out perform my cousins 1975 f100 tell me that ur fords are good after seeing that race, and the mud a flyin

-Cowboy Up

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1826
You are one of the most ignorant guys I've ever seen... I'll break it down to you S l o w l y
1)I could give a rats a$$ less what your cousins F100 did against an S10, or your uncles Fords for that matter. I could understand if you were your cousins and uncles mechanic, though(You did say you were a mechanic, right?). From what you claim, you seem to have had to do a lot of work on Chevys in the past.
2) I like Ford, you like Chevy. Get over it. I've stated my point in my last few posts. If you haven't caught on to that by now you truly need your head examined.
3) A Ford GT-40 can walk all over a Corvette, and no factory Chevelle, Camaro, or Corvette that came off the line can compete with a 66 Shelby Cobra 427 in either acceleration or road handling. Period, it's been proven, do a google search on "50 fastest musclecars". The only car that beat the Cobra in the 1/4 mile was the 1997 Dodge Viper GTS, which, ironically, Carroll Shelby helped design. With more recent matters, in case you missed the January 2004 issue of Car and Driver, the Ford GT stomped both the Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale and the Porsche 911 GT3 on the track. http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=7565&page_numbe r=1
To quote in a similar fashion "lemme see you do that wit your crappy chevys" Do that with a Corvette. A better and more authentic comparison than a S10 and a worn out 1975 F100. Also provides actual numbers instead of just word of mouth. Before you start, note that we're comparing factory cars. By the time a car is modified, it uses very few manufacturer parts, and you may as well be comparing Holley vs Edelbrock or Crane cams vs. Comp Cams.

"Dodge just got into nascar for real about 5 years ago so dont be sayin that crap Jonathan u may know your audio but i know my cars..chevy had el camino ford comes out with ranchero.. its stupid to argue with a mechanic man just dont do it you will lose!!!!"
I don't need my intelligence questioned by someone ignorant enough to make these totally wrong statements. Anyone that is worth their weight in knowledge of classic cars knows the Ranchero came out before the El Camino, and that Dodge has been in Nascar since the 1950s. You may know a little about Chevys but you've obviously got a long way to go before you truly know anything about other car manufacturers. We are all entitled to our opinion, but you just need to shut up because you're only making yourself look narrow minded and stupid with your "everything else sucks, chevy rules" posts.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
ford shelby cobra would have to compared not to the corvette but the callaway corvette, but who's counting?, kill this thread
ps hi jonathan

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1831
Yeah, it's getting kinda long lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
heeeeeey..there eh is!!!, good evening, looks like yopu've got alot on your hands tonight, i've got a little extra time so i'll try to help ya out with some "advice" for inquiring minds of the 24/7 car audio forum :-)

Username: Thurman

Champaign/south beloit, Il

Post Number: 3
what do you think of rockfords mids

Username: Thurman

Champaign/south beloit, Il

Post Number: 4
6x9s

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
shut up thurman, smart azz :-)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1832
thanx :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
Jonathan why dont u look up the Blue angel which as whooped the highest performing Shelby cobra and viper!! and ur a dumb @$$ so get over it...Fords always have sucked always will suck PERIOD..in the words of my o so loyal friend

>>FORGET ABOUT IT<<<

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1835
LIKE I SAID, STOCK VEHICLES YOU IDIOT. WHY DON'T YOU LEARN HOW TO READ.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
LIKE I SAID DUMB @$$ >>>FORGET ABOUT IT<<<

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 246
OK IM not here to bash anything. just want to get out my opinion here since noone seems to share mine.

I LOVE porsche. Im not gonna sit here and argue about its mechanics/past history/what beats what. But noone else on here said they are obsessed with Porsche like I am. I think they are BEAUTIFUL cars. For 1 im 17! Ok maybe I dont build cars. But who here could probably rebuild a Porsche anyway? Besides that you say the Ford GT smoked the Porsche I think Porsche probably has some of the best performance cars around, maybe its just me.

Had to throw in my 2 cents. Peace.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1838
My cousin actually used to have a 1978 911 Turbo 3.3L, awesome car, he got it wrecked. No doubt they are great cars, one of the most fun cars to drive actually due to the unique handling. It's hard to get used to with the cars tendency to oversteer on hard turns. They're actually not that difficult to work on besides the cramped working space, German made engines (of that time, anyway) were very, very simple in design. Of course with AWD and all kinds of control systems, I'd hate to have to work on the newer Porsches. Nearly everything on that particular car was mechanical. We didn't crack it all the way down, but we did a lot of work including the cylinder heads, intake, and exhaust.

Anonymous

LMFAO at jacob, jon made you look like a DUMBA$$!!!!!!you don't know sh*t

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
Notice how you post Anonymous...

Anonymous

hahahahahahahahahahahaha dont get all pissed cause you got schooled idiot

Silver Member

Post Number: 285
Jacob, you are an a$$. Do you know how stupid you look you punk kid? Just plain stupid, you're telling everyone else to drop it when you're arguing with pure bullsh*t you THINK you know. I could have told you the Ranchero came out before the El Camino, I certainly could have told you Dodge DOMINATED NASCAR before they veto'd the HEMI. And I don't have to post as ANON to tell you DUMB you look, in fact it was my pleasure.

Username: Mattellermets

Danville, IL US

Post Number: 8
lol i definitely just read this entire thread, and it is defnintely 2:30 AM... ahh the wonders of the internet.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us