All of a sudden...

Bronze Member
Username: Thecigaretteman

Post Number: 12
I got a nice new system a few months back and its working good thanks to the help of most of you guys but...all of a sudden im having a huge problem,my cd deck is dimming when my bass hits,it always has done this but now it is doing it really bad to where a bass hits and it looks like its turning off...and speaking of turning off,a few times while i was at a stop light the deck would just turn off...now i can deal with dimming lights,but now its starting to effect the quality of my music,when i turn it up past half way the bass gets so distorted that its harsh to listen to,i have heard that i should get a new alternator...power cap...yellow top battery...all of those things,but i need to know which one i need cuzz i just dont have the money to experiment with all of that,anyway if you guys have some imput i would apreciate it.

RERT
Unregistered guest
A cap is useless. New alternator is the best way to go, but for certain cars, it can get pricy. A yellow top battery along with an isolator will do just fine (under $150).

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 213
Alternator.

The reason it was doing this at a stop light was because your alternator was producing less current due to lower engine rpms. I turn my system down at stop lights for a couple of reasons. If you insist on keeping it cranked while stopped rev your engine up above idle a tad. That may help.

A new battery or cap is not going to help your situation. A better battery just means you can play your system longer with the engine off without killing it and a cap will just make things worse by putting a bigger load on an already stressed alternator.

Upgrade that alternator or turn down the tunes before you find yourself driving along at night without headlights. If your head unit is dimming that bad your battery is probably on its way out with your alternator possibly not that far behind. Once your alternator can't provide enough current the voltage drops and your battery takes over the power supply duties. Remember stock car batteries aren't deep cycle and don't hold up well when drastically discharged and recharged repeatedly.

Once you get an adequate alternator then you can start thinkin about "caps" and "yellowtops".

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 215
Oh a yellowtop battery on an isolator is great if you don't plan on using your system while your car's running. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend it. It just means your alternator has the added task of charging an extra battery as well as running your system.

What make, model, and year vehicle do you have? A high output alternator is not necessarily that expensive an item. I got a remanufactured 170 amp alternator for my Explorer for 180 dollars shipped.

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 596
You are having serious voltage dropage problems. You need to get this fixed, listen to the previous posts. If your system is taking that much from you car- which is causing its audio componets to shut off, it is probably effecting other things in the cars electrical system to, to loose power.

Bronze Member
Username: Thecigaretteman

Post Number: 13
My car is a 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis,and i just got a die hard battery for it not too long ago,some guy that i know was fixing my power steering and and he told me that my alternator is weak for the system im running,so he gave me one that he said would be good for my car,i still have not installed it,but im thinkin thats something i should get to doing.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us