Buying online VS buying retail/in-store

Bronze Member
Username: Comet345

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 20
Like some of you may have seen in a few of my previous posts, here is the dilemma.

Buying stuff online is a lot cheaper then in stores.

Buying it from websites (ie. www.onlinecarstereo.com) is about 200-300 -- sometimes more -- cheaper then MSRP.

Buying it from an ebay kind of website (ie. ebay, lol) could be almost half the amount of the retail purchase price.

Here is the redundancy from one of my other posts but, when you buy retail you essentially are paying more for the warranty and stuff.

I was thinking about buying most of the components that I would buy for a/my system online instead of the store. But, I would have it installed and the box custom made as planned.

If installation is done properly from a certified place, what are the chances of the equipment (either from the store or bought online) blowing or shorting, etc...

Would it be cheaper to buy online and just get it replaced by paying for it as needed? Or would it be better to just buy all from the store to go along with the preconceived notion of this being the "right way"...

Obviously, if I were to buy online from an ebay user I would buy only from a person who has great feedback from buyers.

No Question that I am going to get a custom made box and have the installation done professionally, but the equipment I am contemplating buying the majority of it online. Hopefully, from your responses I can make an informed decision as to if this is the better choice financially.

What are your opinions?

-- Also, I have bought stuff online, but have any of you guys bought something for your system(s) online and not have a successful outcome?

Bronze Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 45
in my opinion, go to your local shop and have them set you up with the system, they'll sell and install somethin for you that more than likely will not blow, they want you to have a reliable system because then you will be less likely of bringing it back for warranty, however, if indeed it does blow, then well there you have it, a place to actually go and take care of your needs in preson.

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 166
i have boght my subs, deck, amp, wiring, and box all online. everything was shipped very promptly and came factory sealed. however, i was on a limited budget. i bought what i could with what i had. if i bought my stuff from a local shop, i wouldnt of been able to buy half of what i have for the price. if you have the money to purchase local, and the place your buying from has the equipment you want, then go for it. but i will tell you that most (not all) products from top online car audio websites sell their products factory sealed and provide warrantys along with them. id suggest looking for places out of state if you go online so your not stuck with being taxed. if you find what your looking for online, post the website and im sure people will give reviews about their service and reliability. good luck!

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 148
also even on Ebay a lot if not most of the time on a used part, the seller will give you a guarandtee on the part. He can't give you a warranty. I agree with Ryan stay with out of state stores to save the tax, which in your case since you are from Calif. will be hard. Seem most, but not all are from there. Good luck in your ONLINE search.

Silver Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 270
Most of the places online offer their own warranty provided that the items are professionally installed. I would buy it online, and have yor local shop install it. Even if they go over normal install costs a little, you'll still be getting a better deal. Plus they will guarantee the intsall (or should).
Then if anything happens you can just send it back for replacement/repair. I guess that sounds like the best deal to me because I've never had anything that was (a)installed properly and (b)wasn't abused, break on me.

Bronze Member

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 23
yeah, I think that is the road I am going to take... Buy most of the equipment online and then have it professionally installed...

Bronze Member

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 24
anyone that has ordered any stereo equipment online, can you guys post some reliable online stores?

As I previously mentioned

www.onlinecarstereo.com

another one ->

www.crutchfield.com

anyone have any others ?

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 167
www.acaraudio.com and www.topedgeonline.com i think that onlinecarstereo has the best deals out there, and they ship free for purchases ringing in over 99$ pretty good deal if ya ask me
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us