Blown JBL GT120?

Username: Yuper

Post Number: 5
Hey all-

I thought I blew a fuse but after a little trouble shooting, I linked the silence to the blown sub. If I push lightly on the woofer I can get it to play for a second. A friend told me that it was likely a torn coil. I have had the sub installed for about 3 months now and I have not overpowered it. Why do you think this happened?

Yup

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 141
Yeah I had the same thing happen to a MBQuart QW130(5 1/4" driver). It would play for awhile then quit. I'd bump the cone and it would start up again. I don't know why it happened either. I mean I wasn't even playing it loud when it first quit. They're like 200 bucks to replace so I said the hell with it and carefully took it apart and I got lucky. The voice coil had broken right next to where the spider was glued on(at a lead) so I was able to get at just one strand and solder it up. I glued everything back together with some contact cement(all I had, lol) and its been working great for like 3 months and I've been pushin it pretty hard.

I don't know if your sub is under warranty, but if its not and you don't have a speaker repair shop nearby they look pretty interesting on the inside........

:-)

-Fishy

Post Number: 6
I bought it from Ebay for about 70$ shipped. I have contacted the seller to see the warranty will be valid through him. I am really unhappy with the sub only lasting a short time. I thought it sounded good while it was alive. If I cant get it covered under warranty I may switch to Kicker comp vr. I know its covered here alot, but what do you guys think about the kicker woofer. What about Polk subs? anyone like any of these subs?

Yup

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 649
polks have much better sq than kicker comps imo but the polks would not touch it in the spl department if you want a nice mix of both do polks

Post Number: 7
I think I might go with the Kicker sub. I made a box and finished it up all nice with bondo and paint. I dont have the hart not to use it. The polk subs require more sealed volume then my box has.

Yup
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us