Subwoofer is Rattling - Can A sub be repaired Manualy ???

SubRepair
Unregistered guest
I played my sub for about a year and now its rattling... How can i repair the sub ???

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 140
What do you mean by rattling? and what sub do you have and what are you powering it with?

-Fishy

SubRepair
Unregistered guest
When the sub moves upwards the rounding makes a noise like it has a leak or like its touching to somewhere. I have an ID MAX 12" V2... The rattling makes bass BAD SQ...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1779
May be a misaligned voice coil, in rare cases I've heard it about it happening with the V2, they improved upon it with the V3. Push on the sub and see if you hear anything, then you can troubleshoot from there once you find out where it's coming from.

SubRepair
Unregistered guest
Yep Jonathan i press on the middle of the cone and the sub doesn't rattle any more... What can i do to solve it without sending it back to the factory... ???

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 153
I think Jon might've meant for you to try pushing with the sub OFF, lol.

If the voice coil is misalligned you may be able to hear the voice coil scraping inside the motor when you push it up and down somewhat vigorously. Try a lil side to side pressure if necessary.

-Fishy

SubRepair
Unregistered guest
What was that again (try a lil side) ?

What must i push with the sub off ?
The middle part ?

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 154
Yeah push on the dustcap straight up and down, but not hard enough to squash anything. If you don't hear anything try pushing a lil off axis. i.e. down and off to one side or the other.

-Fishy

SubRepair
Unregistered guest
Ok i'll Try that 10x any more suggestions ???

Bronze Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 58
take the speaker out of the box and look to see if the spider has come unglued from the cone or basket, btw, never push on the side of a speaker, the voice coil will rub the top plate and scrape off the non conductive coating on the windings

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1793
Yeah, I meant when the sub isn't playing lol. You should push on the sub in a linear fashion, and also try letting it go to see if the suspension walks off, you'll hear noise if it does. If the VC is misaligned you should hear it when pushing linearly, pushing side to side would just be forcing the sub to rub against the plate, and wouldn't get you very far. Also will damage the voice coil windings like Zac said.

Silver Member
Username: Maxkilla

Malta

Post Number: 117
So now want must i do to repair my problem ?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1801
You have to determine the problem first. If the spider has come loose, or the voice coil has separated somewhat from the cone, you'll need to reglue it. Epoxy works well.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 173
oops, guess no side pressure.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1802
Only in certain other activities :-).

SubRepair
Unregistered guest
If i still use the sub as it is will i do furthur damage ??? BTW is there an alternative to epoxy glue ?

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 179
Have you figured out the problem yet? I'd be more worried about nailin that down than how to fix it. As far as playin it goes I'd say better safe than sorry.

-Fishy

SubRepair
Unregistered guest
So when i pull up the sub from underneat the cone the sub doesn't make any noise. When i push the sub from the middle part down i hear a cracking noise... What can be the problem ?

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 190
If your pushing straight down that sounds like voice coil misallignment. Is it like a scraping noise? If so the voice coil is rubbing on your motor. Your spider(s) may have come unglued or somethin.

If thats the case I don't know whether you'd be able to fix it or not. Lets wait and see what Jonathan has to say.

-Fishy

SubRepair
Unregistered guest
How come when i pull upwards it doesn't make any type of noise ?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1827
Because the voice coil is moving away from the top plate. When you push in, it's inside the top plate. Take a look at the spider and where the cone attaches to the voice coil.

Subrepair
Unregistered guest
How can i open the sub ? Must i remove the magnet ??

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 204
The magnet's not going anywhere. The only way to open the sub is to "unglue" the surround and "unglue" the spider from the voice coil. Is the voice coil separated from the spider(thats the thing that looks like an electrical burner) anywhere?

If you can't find anything wrong I'd give up and send it back to the factory. Call up a local stereo shop and see if they know of anyone who repairs speakers locally. You could try that. We have a place here that does.

If you can see a place where the spider(from the voice coil) or voice coil(from the cone) has become separated you may be able to fix it yourself. Otherwise I'd send it off.

Does that speaker have dual spiders Jonathan?

-Fishy

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1841
To actually get to the voice coil of the sub, you need to pop off the dustcap if I remember correctly for the v2. The majority of subs are like that. If this is really confusing you, you're probably better off having a shop fix the sub. You should be able to tell just by looking at the sub from the back (or listening to it when you push on it) whether the voice coil has come loose from either the spider or the cone, use a flashlight and really look hard to see anything that looks unusual. Push on the sub a little to see what happens, if you don't notice anything, or you're confused, then send it off for repair. It's a single flat spider, Fishy.

Subrepair
Unregistered guest
Ok 10x I'll try to find a shop which repairs speakers... I bought from america and i live in Malta so i don't know i i will find a shop which will help me in this type of work...

Tracy
Unregistered guest
Hey PPl I Have the same Problem with a power Aqoustik Mofo 12" What can i do to open the sub and repair it ?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us