Can speaker run at 2ohm?Really need help

Anonymous

Im planing to get Infinity kappa 6.1 6.5" perfect component set. It said that its 100W rms @ 4ohm. Im just wondering if i can run them at 2ohm because my amp is 100x2 @ 2ohm and 50x2 @ 4ohm.

Username: Kenzbud

WA United States

Post Number: 3
I would say no. I'm guessing thats a single voice coil 4ohm speaker. Usually 2ohm and 1 ohm speaker are subs.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1539
You can't make a 4 ohm speaker run at 2 ohms. They only way is either a speaker that is 2 ohms, or hooking two 4 ohm of speakers in parallel.

Anonymous

o i see, thanks i guess i guess i use the amp to power the subs instead

likwid_dzign
Unregistered guest
They are extremely difficult to get a hold of but running a small 4 ohm resistor in parallel with the circuit will create a 2 ohm load. However the one thing to remember is that with many amps they are optimised for 4 ohm operation so at 2 ohms they are subject to a higher distortion.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1737
That would result in the same (or less) power getting to the speaker, and the resistor would just burn the extra power off as heat. With impedance regulated amps, such as the JL amps, you can run for example a 2 ohm load by connecting the front and rear speakers in parallel, and put a wattage resistor on the rear speakers, then you'll get all the extra power to the fronts. No other way to do it, though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us