Position of subs in box

Username: Dirtwarrior

Post Number: 2
I ordered 2 Infinity 10" DVQ's. I have a '98 Ford F-150 supercab.(3 dr). There is a rise in the middle of the floor in the back (behind the front seats)so i am building two custom boxes, one to go behind the driver and one behind the passenger.(the amps will go in the middle on the risen part) The dimensions for the boxes are as follows:
17" Wide
12" High
13" Bottom Depth
10" Top Depth

My question is how do i position the sub in the box. I am having plexi-glass on the top of the box so you can see into it(and to protect it from college books that i might accidentally throw on top of it). Therefor, i want the sub completely in the box. So, what position would have the best SQ and/or SPL, do i face it up, down, towards the back of the truck, or towards the front of the truck, and do you think having the sub completely in the box is a bad idea. And if not, if you think i need them, where to position the 3" or 4" air wholes???????

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 353
i'd say what to do, its just throwing an idea at you, make a square box but leave 2 of the sides say 2in longer then the other ones, have the subs mounted so the cone is towards the floor, and will still have the room it needs to have excursion. as for the plexiglass idea, you can make the back of the box out of a peice of plexigass, your gonna want about 1in thick...it'll cost a pretty penny but it'll look pretty nice....if you'd like me to draw up like a sektch or something, let me know...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1716
If you were to totally put the sub in the box and just put a couple of air holes in it, you'd be recreating a crappy version of a 4th order bandpass box, you'd need a LOT of holes to get the sub to perform correctly. Like Jeff said, a downfire would work well in your case.

Post Number: 3
Firing the subs downward is what i thought would have the best effect, and thats good you think the plexi-glass idea will work also, but where should i put (if any) air wholes, and how big should they be and stuff?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1720
No holes, just build the box where it'll stand taller than the sub will move (depends on the excursion of the sub, somewhere between 1-2 inches, I'd go 2 to be safe). Downfiring tends to work very well in trucks.

Bronze Member
Username: Mike_anthes

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 30
what bout speaker grilles

Post Number: 4
Ok, i got the idea, thanks for all the helpful information

Post Number: 5
o, one more thing, i know how good dynamat works, but do you think it would really be worth all the trouble and money to put in a truck, and if i get it, which i probably will, what kind do you recommend would work the best for my setup, 2 10" Infinity Kappa Perfect DVQ subs, 1980 watt power acoustik amp (for subs), infinity kappa perfect 5.25" components for the front and infinity reference for the back, 960 watt power acoustik amp (for speakers) and a pioneer DEH960MP head-unit. (Will be getting audiobahn or some other better amps for christmas)

Bronze Member
Username: Slap_johnson

Arizona

Post Number: 46
your overpowering everything w/ those amps and dont get audiobahn
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us