Ports/aeroports?

Username: Redskin

Post Number: 34
Whilst trying to overcome a bout or boredness this afternoon I began reading an old book I have on Mini tuning (the cars in the original Italian Job) when I came across a chapter on intake tuning and the effect of different radii on the bellmouths of carbs. So I was thinking if an aeroport is regarded as better than a length of pvc pipe because of those nice flaired ends, and all the aeroports that I have seen seem to have the same radius on the ends what would happen if some more extreme flares and radii were used? Could this be something worth exploring?

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 613
flared or flanged ports are used pretty often for both round and slot vents on boxes.
the trick is calculating for that flare.

example;
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/flared.jpg

Post Number: 35
I was thinking more along the lines of a flared end section that would join onto the usual straight length of pipe at each end. Check out www.oldbrits.com/40_800101.html for the sort of end pieces I mean and http://pub26.ezboard.com/fcaraudioforum87927frm8.showMessage?topicID=539.topic for someone with a similar idea. I think it's worth a try so I'll have a go with a test box and report back.

Post Number: 36
Doh! trust my typing to muck up on the important bit. Should read www.oldbritts.com/40_800101.html

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 627
yeah I know what you meant with flared ports.
that's to reduce or prevent port-whistle, which is a very annoying high-pitched whistling sound you'll get at medium to high volume in vented boxes.
never hurts to use them if ya can.
also be sure you use large enough ports.
minimum 3"ID for 10" and smaller, 4"ID for 12" subs, and 6"ID for 15" and larger.
that helps tremendously in reducing whistle as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us