How to set up surround speakers for 6.1

Username: Daveee

Post Number: 3
Hey guys,

I hope one of you can help me out. I got a Marantz SR4400 6.1 receiver and I'm trying to figure out the best positions for my surround speakers in a room that is approx. 17'x10'. I figure I can spare 2 maybe 3 feet of space behind the couch if needed. For the SL and SR I have the Monitor Bronze Bfx (bi/dipole speakers) and for the back centre speaker I have a single Paradigm (direct speaker) from a previous setup.

Question #1: Should my SL and SR be directly on the sides of the listening position or slightly back and angled toward the listening position and how far from the back wall should they be?

Question #2: Would it be better to place the centre back speaker at the same level as the SL and SR or put it closer to the roof and angle it down toward the listening area?

Question #3: Since the back three speakers work together to produce the surround effect would a different brand of speaker (i.e. the paradigm speaker) work out of phase or frequency slightly from the Monitor SL and SR? And even if it did would you really be able to notice it causing a problem in creating a smooth surround effect?

Last Question: Do I switch my SL and SR to bipole or dipole for the best effect? The Monitor Bfx speaker has the mid range facing directly out and the highs (tweeters) face in opposite directions to the sides.

Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us