Bose Speakers compatible with Other Brand receiver?

Username: Ljmcc

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 12:07 pm:
Someone help! I have zero tech skills. I have a Bose Lifestyle 25 Series II System - back from 2002. It just has a CD player (broken) and a Radio -- no MP3s. The speakers and Acustimass Module work fine, but the "unit (or receiver)" is shot and not useful. Since this system is not compatible with Mp3's I always have to use the Aux ports on the Bose to play music through my old laptop. I want to ditch the Bose receiver, and buy a Pioneer receiver and a Blue Ray player (so I can stop using my old laptop to play music and stream Pandora), but I want to use my Bose cube speakers and Acoustimass Module. There is no need for me to buy new speakers, they are decent for my purposes. BUT, all the speakers connect to the Acoustimass Module and then it looks like that the Module has a proprietary connection into the Receiver. My questions are: 1) Is the Acousitmass cable that connects to the (old from 2002) Bose receiver proprietary or can I connect it to any receiver? 2) If not, can I ditch the Acoustimass Module and just use the speakers? Would I connect the speakers directly to the new receiver, or do I have to buy some kind of substitute Acoustimass/subwoofer? Does the replacement have to be a Bose that does not have a propietary connection? Thank you if someone can help me!!!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2768
Ditch the Bose subwoofer and get yourself a good self-powered sub of any respectable brand. Set the crossover on the new receiver very high -- no lower than 100 Hz. or better yet higher -- and connect the speakers directly to the new receiver.

Two things: Turn the subwoofer's crossover setting all the way up, and if you haven't already done so, replace that dinky Bose speaker wire with something more robust, like 16 gauge wire.

Username: Ljmcc

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the tips! I started to realize that I had to ditch the Bose subwoofer. Now I have to figure out what kind of receiver to get... apparently it's not something I should be cheap about or rush into... Thanks again!

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 782
I am not in the get rid of the Bose subwoofer club. The bass box that comes with a Bose system is actually a mid range box. Becausee of the high cross over point for the satellites (200Hz)and the fact that the sub only goes down to about 80Hz it makes a good midrange box. All the speaker wires connect to the sub box then to the receiver, you can still add a powered sub to a receivers sub out. Set the speakers to small and the crossover to 80 and all should be fine. The truth is ditch the Bose and get some real speakers since your going to rebuild the entire system. Paradigm, B&W, PSB,Energy to name a few.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 783
Recievers: Denon,Onkyo,Pionner, to name a few affordable receivers. Check out the link.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/buyersguides/avreceivers/

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2774
I remain in the ditch the "Acoustimass Module" club for the simple reason that there's no easy way to feed a 5.1 analog signal into it from a regular AVR. Bose has made this difficult by using a proprietary multi-pin (din type) connector as the signal input for the module. See page 10 in the owner's manual for LJmcc's old Lifestyle (love Bose's marketing monikers) 25 Series II unit.

http://products.bose.com/pdf/customer_service/owners/og_ls25.pdf

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2775
I do agree that the lack of any sort of mid-bass response in these Bose cube speakers presents a problem with integrating any conventional sub. I believe the average highest crossover setting in subs (and AVRs for that matter) is 120Hz. So there's bound to be a dip in the frequency response between the sub and the cubes. Will it be audible to a long-term Bose owner? Not so much in my opinion, because there's never been a smooth transition in the original Bose acoustimass/cube systems in the first place.

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 302
I'm with john on this but I'll add get rid of bose from your vocabulary .

how about?

http://www.dakmart.com/p11034/SLED-DENON-AVR-1709-7.1-SURROUND-RECEIVER-AUTH-DLR -W-WT/product_info.html

2 zones too

speakers

http://www.dakmart.com/Audio-Home-Audio-Home-Theater/c4_9_10/p11311/Boston-Acous tics-Horizon-Series-MCS100-MDNT-5.1-Speaker-System/product_info.html

speaker wire

most important next to spk, amp,

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_70316260/AudioQuest-FLX-16-2-16-Gauge-In-Wall-Speaker-Cable-60-feet.html

theaudioguy.ca
wire is not hard to find but best bang for the buck.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2777
Good deal on that Denon Vince. This Onkyo would work too.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXSR308/Onkyo/TX-SR308-5.1- Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2778
Looks like Crutchfield has discontinued that Audioquest wire in your link.

Username: Efalcao

Post Number: 1
Hi to All. Going back to the old posts about this subject I would like to get your opinion as I have a similar issue from LJmcc. I have an old Lifestyle 12 and bought a Pioneer VSX - 822k. If I understood correctly (I also have a very low knowledge of technology), I can move to the following direction:

1) in order to clean all my equipments (I have a mess on my table) I could plug my old subwoofer direct to the Receiver and start enjoying, controlling the speakers through the subwoofer;

2) in a second moment I have to buy a new subwoofer and cables, wire the speakers direct to the receiver;

3) finally, I should follow your advice and buy new speakers and enjoy a reasonable sound equipment.

Does this work? It is correct my understanding?

Thanks for any help you can send to me.
Edmundo

Username: Gemisan126

Saipan Northern Marianas, Saipan USA

Is acoustimas 10 is match with denon avr-e400

Username: Josephrohdes221

Post Number: 3
I found the information very useful and well expressed and written in this forum. It helps a lot. Highly appreciable tips and advice regarding the speakers. Thanks.

Username: Technically_challenged

I also have an old Lifestyle with inside and outside speakers all set to use together or separately. I also have the acoustimass /woofer, I had to move the system around, was working, now the outside speakers don't work, any trouble shooting will help. If I have to replace the receiver and acoustimass, is there a brand that will also be able to play the outside speakers as well? The bose store in Osage Beach, MO closed, everything works just can't get the speakers outside to work, they are 1 year old. Any help much appreciated. Thanks Technically challenged

Username: Copdoc

My mother-in-law's Bose Lifestyle finally gave up the ghost. I need to replace the console and the "Acoustimass" which is a mass of useless at the moment. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to the speaker wires to plug the speakers into a regular receiver instead of the "Acoustimass Module"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us