LG home theater/Blu-ray -- no audio!

Username: Sarah_b

Post Number: 1
I recently bought an LG home theater/Blu-ray system (HB905PA) and am having some trouble with the setup. I connected to my TV (also LG -- model 42LG30) with an HDMI cable, and while the video looks fine, there is no audio. The speaker test function also produces no sound.
I know the speakers work, because if the TV is unplugged, the iPod function on the HT system sounds good. It just seems as though the TV audio output is not getting to the HT system. I made sure to change the setting from TV speakers to HT speakers, with no luck.

Any advice would be appreciated. (Also should mention that I know very little about electronics!)

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 365
Sarah you have to set upthe reciever through display
On your tv I'm sure the manual tells you how
To do this.
DVD sound work?

Post Number: 2
Hi Vince,

Thanks for your reply. I found one line in the manual which states that for SimpLink connection (used to connect two LG devices), you need to use an optical cable to get the TV audio to connect to the speakers. I just assumed that since HDMI does audio and video, it would work fine. I will buy an optical cable and try that out; if it doesn't work I will post back here.

Thanks again.

Post Number: 3
Just tried using the optical cable, with no luck. I have been able to get some audio signal, but only for about 4 seconds, and then it cuts out(and this is only occasionally). The TV is recognizing the HT system; I can access the menu through the TV, etc, but still no sound. A movie played on the Blu-ray player has video but no sound. Bizarrely, when I unplug the HDMI cable but leave the optical attached, the TV sound goes to the HT speakers. If I try plugging the HDMI back in, it cuts out.

I'm just about ready to return it to the store, unless anyone has any suggestions.

Cheers,
Sarah

Silver Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 547
Try talking to people at the store. If it's any kind of store, they should be able to help. It might just be defective, in which case, you can exchange it.

My suggestion: Stay away from home theater in a box. Buying the equipment seperately will cost a little more, but sound better and last longer regardless of brand.

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 369
sarah jazzy's right this system you have is lame,
maybe defective
bluray is built in you should have sound on that
optical cable from tv to reciever i never recommend.
go to setup on reciever so it shows on tv then play with audio setup.

Silver Member

Post Number: 573
Thanks Vince!

Yes, if blu-ray is built in, there should be no problem. Trying the optic cable is a good way to test, probably not the best perm connection.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for your responses.

I took it back to BestBuy and the guy at the store agreed that it was probably a lemon. I'm going to do what you suggested (buy a receiver and speakers separately) - I was leaning towards that option anyway but it's nice to get advice from people who know what they're doing!

Thanks again guys.

Sarah

Silver Member

Post Number: 597
Yw! Always glad to help!

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 371
Sarah no problem
I know best buy sells Boston acoustics
Speakers
And at least Denon reciever that you can
Afford is a fantastic start
Used both myself on plenty of installs.
Take care
theaudioguy.ca

Silver Member

Post Number: 644
What do you think of Denon Vince? I have one of their stereo receiver and I personally think it's the best 2 channel receiver on the market. However, a lot my fellow audio guys don't like Denon very much.

Username: Electronicchamp

Seattle, Washington

Post Number: 4
I feel happy if i help others

For your problem you have to get receiver for your display and You have to rad and implement the manual for your work.
I think it work your you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us