Speaker location.

Bronze Member
Username: Cartandpeg

Post Number: 20
Hi All,
Hopefully the posted pics will come out ok.
I would like to set my HT up as 7.1,it is currently set up as 5.1,the thing is I am stuck for space to put speakers,in pic 1 I was thinking of adding presence speakers but they need to be 500mm to a mtr away from the existing speakers and due to the door and space it does not seem feasible,also in pic one you can see the sub woofer sitting in the cabinet,if u look carefully you can see a small sub on right side of pic,this is for the comp,I was thinking of putting the HT sub there,again space space and the fact my 15 mth old grandaughter,loves to climb,would the sub still be ok where it is or do you think there could be another location by looking at the pic.

In pics two and three you can see both rears speakers,they are 600mm away from the rear wall,when the two chairs are pulled away from the wall they too are about 600mm away, so your ears are basically in line with the speakers,I do not have the speakers butted up to the wall as they have the holes in the back.

My question for the 7.1 in regard to adding two more rear speakers is,could i put shelf speakers up rather than floor ones for my extra two speakers and if so where should I locate them,I would imagine if so they would have to go above the height of the back of the chairs to get the sound.But where?

I can not really place anything along the side walls due to the lounge suite and also the other wall has huge opening into the kitchen.Also I can not rearrange the lounge either as nothing will go anywhere else,small lounge room.

Thank you for your time all any suggestions please,I would prefer two speakers to the rear.
Thank you
Andrew.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Just a note as well I had to resize my pics to put them on here this is link which I found in case someone else has same problem.

www.picresize.com

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 16367
Sorry Andrew but your picture does not help us to found a good location, can you made a sketch under Paint with all your doors, windows then TV location!

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 891
To be honest 7.1 is not going to help until you get your 5.1 set up done right. Get rid of everything in that room that is not HT. Spread the front speakers out and get a rael center channel. Spending more money on more speakers is not the answer getting a better set up with 5.1 will make more of an improvement then 2 more speakers will.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Thank you Plymouth and Casey,Plymouth hopefully below the diagram from paint is ok.As you can see I have limited places to move things around,if you need further info please ask.
Casey,when you say get rid of all HT stuff I would assume that would be all speakers, as I have just updated my receiver to a Yamaha RX-V 667.I realise the speakers are prob not the best for me to achieve what I would like to produce in regards to sound and I will have to save the dollars to upgrade the speakers,I had to compromise with the good wife to get my new receiver,but I am open to all suggestions for either now or the future,I have never been one for movies or music,but since upgrading the receiver and up to a Blu-Ray DVD Player I have sort of got the bug.
Thank you both again.
Ok no image I need to work out how to resize it to make it work for this post,I will try to work it out and re-post it under this.Ty
Ok looks like it worked I had to email it to myself so it was a reduced for size email.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Sorry forgot to mention that center speaker sits in front of tv on tv stand and I have moved the sub woofer to the spot between the large doorway and the comp.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 16385
Hi Andrew!

I suggest you to buy 6 new speakers and put it near the ceiling, those one sound great for the price and made in Canada:

http://precision-acoustics.com/hd4.html

You can positioned the speakers like this:
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Hi Plymouth,
thanks for the info,so looking at what you are suggesting is to mount those speakers up on the wall below the ceiling,a couple things,would the height be a factor as my ceiling is 3mtrs up in height and I also forgot to mention(not thinking of wall mounted speakers) I have a reverse cycle air conditioner unit that sits right above the window leaving no room directly above the window itself,I suppose worst case I could mount some type of bracket to extend the speaker out past the air/con unit.Also would I angle the speakers down some.I suppose I was hoping to stick to some form of floor speakers,mainly for simplicity of wiring up etc as if I was to mount any speakers on the wall I would run the wires through the wall cavities.Looking at it at present I suppose it would not be feasible for me to go that way owing to the fact that not long ago I had to repair the ceiling and I fear walking up on the ceiling area will create the cracks etc that I have had to repair prior.I suppose positioning and speaker quality is my downside here,exp if I want to achieve 7.1.I am still open to suggestions and I appreciate your input.Thank you

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 893
Andrew you miss understood me. I said get rid of everything that is not for the Home theater. Move out the computer and the fish tank so you can have more room for your home theater equipment. Your front speakers are crammed against your TV spread things out. The center channel is the most important speaker in home theater it produces the dialog. You just got a new Yamaha, great now continue to build your system with the best stuff you can afford one or two pieces at a time. I like Paradigm speakers maybe you could start with anew center channel speaker. Hang the TV on the wall and you will have room for the center speaker on top of your stand under the TV.

http://paradigm.com/products/paradigm/center/monitor-series/cc-190

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Ah Casey lol now I see what you mean,good thought,I have been looking about for an upgrade in speakers,but bit by bit,I have moved the subwoofer and spread the front speakers out a bit from the TV,not much maybe a foot and have noticed a slight difference.I will go have a look at the link you sent me thank you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Drifting off the subject briefly, this site below is here in Australia,situated in my home State,if anyone has a few mins to spare and have a browse I would be interested in your thoughts for these speakers,basically seeing as I would like to upgrade and finding a dedicated site here and not just a hi-fi shop is becoming difficult.

http://www.dway.com.au/store/pricelist/

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Casey you mentioned I should I get rid of my existing center channel would this be any better sorry could not paste the link.

Yamaha NS-C310BL 2-Way Bass-Reflex Center Speaker

Thank you.

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 895
I never heard of Dream speakers so I can't comment on them. I am not a fan of Yamaha speakers, you can do better. Look for a Paradigm dealer near you, here is a link.

For the name of your nearest dealer in Australia please contact:

Paul Clarke

Distributor :
Audio Active Pty Ltd.

Australia

Phone :
+61 3 9699 8900

Fax :
+61 3 9699 8955

Email :
paul@audioactive.net.au

www.audioactive.net.au

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Thanks Casey will do some research.Cheers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Sorry to bring this post up again,but it is more than likely that I will be able to upgrade my speakers,however I have a problem locating the center speaker.
I will not be able to put it on my TV stand as it is just to big in height and depth,at present I am a bit reluctant to mount my TV on the wall which would enable the speaker to sit on the TV cabinet.
My listening height is 1.050 mtrs ( 3' 5") and the top of my TV is 1.3 mtrs ( 4' 3"),would I be able to mount the speaker just above the TV on the wall and then tilt the speaker down towards my listening height.

Thank you.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 16449
Andrew

No problem to mount your center speaker above your TV even if it is not at your height, no need to tilt also!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Hi again,
ok I have purchased new speakers and I am going to rearrange my lounge room to make them fit in,so this diagram is a bit different from the others,but here is my problem.

Setting up the Tv and the front speakers should not be a problem,I have plenty of room,its the surrounds which is causing me a headache.

In the diagram my viewing/listening area has now changed,I have purchased a pair of ceiling speakers for my surrounds,where I will sit, is on the back wall,the wall length is 4 mtrs long,my chairs are side by side,the left chair is about 2 feet away from the fish tank with the other chair next to it which in turn ends next to the door frame.As you can see I can not put the chairs in the center of the wall.
My dilema is where to mount the ceiling speakers,they are not mounted yet,could I put one in the left corner of the ceiling( not under the alcove)the alcove part of the ceiling has a bulk head built there, so basically this speaker, my left surround will be about two feet away from that seat and the other in the right corner of the ceiling this will be about 7 feet away from the chair next to the door,this being my right surround.Should I bring the right surround in closer to the right side chair,I can pull the chairs out a bit so that the speakers are basically behind me a bit.Ceiling height is 10 feet.
I will be setting up the speakers with YPAO microphone.
The speakers have a fixed tweeter bit I can rotate the actual speaker around,to bring the speakers out from the back wall in the ceiling presents a problem also,hence having to be fitted more so into the corners(saying that in regard to being aware of sound reflection off the walls).
Any help would go along way.
Thank you yet again.
Andy.

Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts