How do i hook up my surround sound system?

Username: Ntasha

Wilkesboro, Nc United States

Post Number: 1
i bought a surround sound system from a yard sale, but i don't know how to hook it to my tv...can someone help?

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 15
Can you post what the brand and model is? Also what you want it to do for you.
Also, what inputs do your TV have?

There are so many ways to hook things up it is hard to know where to begin without additional info from you.

Unregistered guest
Won a Curtis home theatre system with DVD how do I hook up sattelite receiver dvd and tv so I can get the surround sound from sattelite also. TV has rca, coaxial and S outputs. Sattelite receiver has the same DVD has the same also I can get the surround when playing a dvd but can't get it with the sattelite.

JPav
Unregistered guest
We just bought a JVC surround sound system (with DVD player), we currently have a Sony DVD/VHS player, a Sony 50' LCD TV, and DirecTV satellite. Is there any way to hook up the TV, DirecTV, and DVD/VHS so that they all come through the surround sound?

Unregistered guest
Just bought a Theater Logic L6 complete surround sound system. It has a amplifer in the sub. it has this for inputs: Left, Right, left surround, right surround, center and subwoofer inputs. I want to hook it up to my dvd player Which has one input and output channel, s-video, Coax,And stream video. My direct tv has one output channel. Please Help

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4980
You need a receiver.

Username: Amyj

We have a sanyo tv and just bought a Durabrand dvd surround sound all in one and if we have the dvd player on the surround sound works, but if we have the tv on the surround sound doesn't work. We have 2 inputs and 1 output on the tv. All we have on the dvd player is one output, but we also have dishnetwork. We bought a distribution amplifier from radioshack, but we still can't figure out how to get it to come through the tv. Please help, we have tried to hook this up right for a month!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Username: Artparra

I Have a Home DVD Player which has one video and audio outputs. My Tv has three inputs and one output is there any way to connect my surround sound to my tv or dvd

Username: Carjac8

Post Number: 2
want to hook up external spekers to a 1995 FP5220 W103 on screen instructions say to read manual(do not have) can turn off tv speakers or go to normal,but dont know how to get to surround sound set-up. HELP PLEASE!

Username: Jeaneck

I have a curtis dvd 5041 with surround sound system. It is missing the cable that goes from surround sound base to back of dvd. It looks like a s-video but a hair bigger is needed. the slot on base says 5.1 channel. CAN ANYONE HELP ME . is there another way to connect them.

Username: Cried

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 8
Talk to Berny

Username: Edgmaister

i'm in the same boat as jean eckhard, i too have a curtis dvd 5041, that is missing the 5.1ch input cable, what is the name of this cable, and where can i find it, i've looked online for it, but all i keep getting is the 6plug output that looks like the rca cables.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 582
Could you possibly contact the supplier of this unit? I cannot find ANY info on the Curtis systems.

If this doesn't help perhaps posting a picture of the connector might get some questions answered.

Username: Packer174

Monroe, CT

I have a Toshiba TV with 3.5mm audio hook up and I am tring to set up a Boston Audio speaker with the speake wire hook-up to my TV - how do I do this ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 650
The 3.5 is a headphone jack out of the TV?

If so you need something like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103400

with a pair of speakers.

Username: Guitarmisfit

Hello All:

I hooked up a basic KLH 5.1 channel home theater speaker system, but can't seem to get any sound out of the center-front speaker. I know it's probably something simple, but can't seem to locate the problem. My equipment is as follows:

Cable box;
JVC RX-6000 A/V Control Receiver;
Toshiba 27AF45 non-HD television;
Panasonic Omnivision PV-8451 VCR;
Magnavox MDV435 DVD player;
JVC XL-F215TN CD changer.

Any suggestions? (Be nice! LOL)

Username: Rmammerschuber

NY USA

Post Number: 6
The first thing I would check is your menu sound settings on your cable box and TV. You need to make sure your outputing surround sound to hear surround sound through your receiver / speakers..

Silver Member

Post Number: 723
Good point Robert and if the settings are available and then set to the proper output then, great problem solved.

If that doesn't work for some reason then a little more information would be needed from you Frank. It would be helpful to know the details of how you have all of this hooked up. For instance this issue could easily be caused by the cable box/DVD/VCR all connected to the TV and then taking the audio out of the TV back to the Receiver. If this is the case then Robert's suggestion comes in handy if you can adjust the TV sound output settings looking for things like a "fixed:variable" adjustment and a "Dolby:Stereo" setting. If not then some rewiring may be in order.

If all of the components are connected to the AV receiver then the question becomes, does this problem occur with all of the components (cable box, DVD, and VCR) in your system or just with one of them??

Silver Member

Post Number: 724
BTW - We should have started a new thread on this topic! This is actually the second time I was reviewing the posts above and started getting confused until I noticed the dates being from 2006. I am happy to announce though that it took less time this time than the first to actually come to that conclusion!!!

Hello Jim,

Sorry for continuing this thread...I'm new to this.

I'll check the menu settings on my TV & cable box, in the meantime, If YOU had the equipment as follows:

Cable box;
JVC RX-6000 A/V Control Receiver;
Toshiba 27AF45 non-HD television;
Panasonic Omnivision PV-8451 VCR;
Magnavox MDV435 DVD player;
JVC XL-F215TN CD changer;
& a basic KLH 5.1 channel home theater speaker system.

How would YOU set this system up? Or can you link me to a website that has wiring diagrams?

Thanks for all your help!

Silver Member

Post Number: 728
No problem Frank,

If this doesn't help you come right back here and continue the thread as long as you like:

http://www.ceaconnectionsguide.com/

Post Number: 3
Thanks Jim,

I guess what's confusing me is the cable box setup. It's s standard Time Warner Cable box (Pioneer), and the only thing that it's connected to is the TV: cable from outside goes to "cable in" jack, and I have a line going from the "cable out" jack to the TV.

There are input/output jacks on the rear panel, but I don't have them connected to anything. Do I start with connecting the cable box to the A/V receiver, then go from there?

I think I have to start from scratch, it seems. I'll try that link you posted, but I'm noticing that there isn't a tab for cable boxes. Or is that what they are referring to as a "set top box"?

NY USA

Does your TV have audio out?

NY USA

Post Number: 9
Toshiba 27AF45 Jackpacks
Front Panel A/V Inputs
Headphone Jack 1
ColorStream® Component Video Inputs
A/V Inputs - Rear
S-Video Input
RF Input
A/V Output

Looks like your TV supports MTS DBX & surround so you should be able to pass through from TV audio out to the KLH. I assume the HT also has Aux input which is where I'd connect the CD changer...

Silver Member

Post Number: 729
Yes Frank the STB or Set Top Box is either a cable box or a satellite box.

Using the coax out of the STB is giving you the least quality audio and video signal available and with your TV you would be doing yourself a big favor by at least using S-Video. The JVC receiver is really supposed to be the hub for all of your other components but you could certainly connect everything directly to the TV and then taking the audio out of it back to the receiver as Robert suggests. That should work fine with this set up but is not a good solution for newer HD equipment with the challenges having both analog and digital signals running amok.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the guidance, Jim & Rob. Please bear with me on this...LOL. I'm usually not this inept.

Page 2 of the CEA connections guide has me taking aud/vid from cable box out to receiver & VCR, then aud/vid out to receiver, then vid out to TV.

At what point can I sneak in my DVD player? I'm thinking between VCR & receiver?

Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 733
Basically all of your components are going to be connected to your receiver first so that you can use it's switching abilities then simply the receiver out to the TV. So the answer to your question would be that the DVD is hooked to the receiver in the same manner as the VCR (except that the VCR will have a cable from the receiver back to it for recording).

Make any more sense or am I confusing the issue even more?

Post Number: 5
[Make any more sense or am I confusing the issue even more?] Jim, you are being a great help, but It's just not clicking on my end, as far as the darn cable box/TV/receiver goes.

What I'm seeing is:

Cable in to STB. Now, from here I go...
STB cable out via s-vid (and red/white audio?)to TV or to the receiver?

This is where I'm getting overwhelmed a bit...which cables do I use? Just the red/white audio & yellow video or just s-vid?

What I'm getting out of the CEA Connections Guide, page 4, is the STB gets connected to the VCR via R/F coax, then out to TV via red/white/yellow connector, or to receiver via r/w/y connector, then from "Monitor S-video" out to TV?

Could it be that simple?

NY USA

Post Number: 10
LOL This looks like fun... The red and whit cables are your audio (right and left channel) The yellow RCA is your video cable as is ths s-video. The yellow and s-video only carry video signals with no audio so you need to connect red and white and either yellow or s-video.

Like Jim has said you want to connect your components to the receiver first for best sound processing.

Post Number: 6
Hello Jim,

Sorry, still no luck here getting EVERYTHING working properly.

I did manage to get the video & surround sound to work with the STB/TV (s-vid cable out of STB to TV). That was pretty simple, actually, but can't seem to get the DVD hooked up properly to get any video, and audio in surround. I tried s-video and red/white audio from DVD to receiver, then s-vid from "monitor" on receiver to TV, and nothing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 757
OK, now you have me confused!

Do you have your JVC manual?:

http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/00/96/LVT0380-001A.pdf

Directions on page 5 and 6 should help (I hope?!?!?)

Bronze Member

NY USA

Post Number: 15
Just a thought here but... are you selecting the proper source on your receiver when trying to view and here the DVD? If you have this setup the way it should be and has been suggested you need to make sure your receiver is outputting from the DVD inputs not the STB.

Post Number: 7
Jim & Robert,

Yes, I have all the manuals to my components.

Actually, I got everything working through the receiver (YAY!), even though I couldn't get the S-video out from receiver to TV to transmit a picture. BUT I did manage to get a picture using the yellow video cable from receiver to TV! I'm sure the non-working hookup with S-video is just a menu setting with either the TV or receiver. Any thoughts on this last peice of the puzzle?

Thanks a lot for your help! And your patience!

Silver Member

Post Number: 760
Do you have your DVD player connected tot he receiver via S-Video?

Yes, the DVD is connected to the receiver via S-video, but when I hook up the S-video out from the "MONITOR" port on receiver to S-video on the TV, I get DVD picture, but no regular cable TV signal. However, I do get a regular cable TV signal when I disconnect the S-video (receiver to TV) and replace it with the standard yellow video cable from receiver to TV. This leads me to beleive it's a menu setting on either the TV or the receiver.

In any case, the DVD is working fine.

Username: Johngreenlee98

i bought a surround sound system from a friend and i have no instructions on how to hook it up. my television has from left to right. video 1 in, yellow, red and white. video 3 in yellow red white. video 3 out yellow red white.monitor out yellow red white. and audio var/fix red white

Gold Member

Post Number: 1290
Greetings John,
The quick answer is to use the red/white var/fix out to an input to one of the inputs on your new surround system. The Var/Fix output (sounds like a Sony) can be adjusted in the menu settings on your TV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us