How To Convert Digital Coax To RCA?

Username: Rmantler

Post Number: 1
I think I'm trying to accomplish something that may be impossible.

I have somehow managed to acquire a DVD player with a 5.1 digital coaxial audio output and a receiver with nothing but 6 plain-Jane RCA audio inputs.

Is there a converter box that will take a digital coaxial signal and convert it into six discrete RCA outs?

I'd be grateful for any guidance or suggestions- maybe even well-deserved mockery. This is some pretty lame gear I've gotten into.

Username: Gbbailey

Post Number: 2
Not uncommon. You need a decoder/processor, which will take a digital output (either optical or 75 Ohm coaxial)and covert it into the six channel 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS(Main R & L, Center, Surround R & L, Subwoofer or LFE). Try the Technics SH-AC500D or Yamaha DDP-2, you can find them reasonably priced on EBay.

Username: Rmantler

Post Number: 2
Thanks, George- much appreciated. I was starting to think I wasn't going to be able to find a decoder for less than $5000 (seriously).

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3579
Get a new receiver. You can get a receiver with DD and DTS decorders for $100-200 new if you look around, probably cheaper on Ebay. From my experience, the 6 analog inputs aren't as good as using coax or optical, even if the signal is straight from the DVD player.

Username: Ramsmoker

Enumclaw, Wa. USA

Post Number: 1
I just bought a Philips PH61155. I was excited when I got home, I want to listen to Sirius without the TV on. I'm going to again today, I have hooked it up by the instructions and split the coax and ran deadhead into the unit. I think one of us is on drugs and it ain't me. No lights are even coming on. I will post when I beat this.

Bronze Member
Username: Nency

Post Number: 80
A coaxial cable used to be the standard way of connecting VCRs and cable hook-ups to your television set. It is a single cable with a metal pin in the middle of it. However, there are now more options of cables, such as RCA cables. If you have an older television that only has a coaxial cable output and a DVD player that only has RCA outputs, you need a way to convert the coaxial cable to RCA.

Silver Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 801
You need a 5.1 channel DAC (digital to analog converter). Run the digital output from the dvd player to the DAC and the 5.1 channel output to the receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us