Need to hookup new plasma TV with only digital audio to 2-channel receiver

Username: Papillon01

Colorado

Post Number: 1
Hi - I am new to the forum so will throw this out to you all. I have recently purchased a Panasonic Viera plasma TV to replace a Samsung LCD that we moved to our basement. With the Samsung I was happily using an Onkyo 100W 2-channel receiver with some decent 2-way front speakers and an NHT subwoofer and thought it sounded pretty good, even though it wasn't surround sound. Now, after setting up the Panasonic plasma, I discover that it does not have analog audio outputs, only a digital audio output. My dilemma is this: do I spend $150 to buy a digital to audio converter (found on Amazon) so I can use the 2-channel receiver I already have, or should I spend $250-$300 to buy a decent 5:1 A/V receiver which will accept a digital audio cable, even though I would only use it for a 2:1 speaker setup? My room layout does not make it "wife compatable" to run three more speakers in the room, so I need to make due with the 2:1 speaker setup. I am just now getting up to speed on the latest audio/video trends, so am learning as I go along. Thank you for any suggestions/comments you can share.

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 284
2.1 ron I understand!
wife does have a say if you wanna stay married,

Ron,
just keep using the reciever you have and connect a cable box to reciever not tv audio out..
not the
best sound that way[tv out] believe me.

is a hd cable box out of the question.?

vcr?

that will have audio out

then connect dvd ,
audio out to different input on back of onkyo ,,

dvd video out to tv.

vince
theaudioguy.ca

Username: Papillon01

Colorado

Post Number: 2
Thanks Vince. We currently have the most basic cable we can get from Comcast (trying to limit the junk my teenagers can watch!), so we haven't used a cable box yet. But, I have looked to upgrade to Comcast's basic digital package which would require us to use a cable box, and those do have RCA audio output connectors. However, I want to use my 2:1 setup mostly for DVD's, so I'll check the DVD player for the audio outputs as you suggest. I currently have my (upconverting) DVD player connected to the TV using an HDMI cable, so I could still use that connection for the video and use the RCA outputs connected to the receiver for the audio, right?
Thanks,
Ron

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 286
bluray ron and

even refurbished around 100 bucks,,
really incredible picture and will play all your old dvd's ,cd's,
and bluray.

upgrade to hd cable box please that viera is going to waste
or not at its best not even close if you don't do these suggestions Ron.

theaudioguy.ca
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us