DTS-HD

Username: Skiiermike

Post Number: 6
I just purchased Avatar on Blu ray and I am trying to use the DTS-HD master audio. I have a Harman Karden AVR 3550 receiver which is capable of playing DTS-HD. The only DTS setting on my receiver is NEO6.

How do I set it to DTS-HD or how do I know if it is already playing DTS-HD?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2710
Mike, first make sure your BD player's HDMI audio output is set to "BITSTREAM". With the HK's audio set to "AUTO SELECT" it should automatically decode the DTS-MA bitstream. You should see either "DTS-HD" or "DTS-MA" or "DTS-HD MA" on the receiver's display panel.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2712
I see you are also having problems with DTS audio interruptions. Not much I can say except to make sure the HDMI "handshake" is good to start with, assuming your problem is with an HDMI input. As your manual states, you should turn on your system in a specific order: TV first (switched to the proper input), then the HK (also switched to the appropriate input), then last, the BD player.

Post Number: 8
Thanks for the quick response. I am using a PS3 for a BD player and when I checked the output options It doesn't have an option for Bitstreem only for Dolby, DTS and a bunch of PCM's. I set it to DTS and then set my amp to Auto select and it only picks up the stupid logic 7.

Should there be a manual way to pick DTS-HD on the amp?

Also is it possible to set this up properly with the PS3/

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2714
Mike, when the HK receiver sees either analog or digital (PCM) stereo coming in on one of its inputs, the unit defaults to Logic7. The problem is not with the receiver. The PS3 isn't feeding the right signal to the HK.

Try this: Make sure the PS3's "AUDIO MULTI-OUTPUT" in the sound setting menu is set to "OFF".

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2715
Sorry Mike, I don't own a PS3 so I keep forgetting that older PS3's (except the new PS3 Slim) will not bitstream the advanced audio codecs. It will decode internally and output multichannel PCM signals only. This means that you will not see confirmation on your HK receiver "DTS-HD".

"Today [Apr, 2008], SCEA announced that the latest PS3 update, 2.30, would bring the ability to decode DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio tracks, that is to say, Blu-ray audio at variable bit rates up to 24.5Mbps, and 7.1 streaming of 96K/24-bit tracks. Does this make PS3 the best Blu-ray player ever? If you've got a receiver that can take an uncompressed audio stream of that magnitude via HDMI, then we think it does. UPDATE: To be clear, this decodes the DTS formats--plus Dolby's formats, including Dolby TrueHD--and outputs all channels via HDMI to a receiver that can take a 5.1 or 7.1 PCM stream. It won't do 5.1 or 7.1 analog output. Also, as some of you have noted, it does NOT bitstream the DTS or Dolby data to a decoder inside a newer decoder-equipped receiver."

Again, this means you will not see the receiver acknowledging "Dolby TrueHD" or "DTS-HD MA" on its front panel because they will have been decoded by the PS3. I think this means you should select "5.1 PCM audio" on the PS3 setup menu. All this is assuming you have the latest upgrade.

http://gizmodo.com/378180/playstation-3-firmware-update-230-brings-dts+hd-master-audio

Post Number: 9
Thanks again. I just tried your latest post and everything seems to be working ok. The PS3 says DTS-HD and the receiver picks up the L-PCM.

Just to be clear will I get the same audio quality if the ps3 decodes it as apposed to the receiver decoding it?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2716
There you go. Sorry I was so slow on the uptake. All reasonably new BD players will bitstream the advanced audio codecs on HDMI so that any 1.3 receiver like yours will do the decoding. Except any (non-Slim) PS3. You should be hearing a difference in the sound now.

There is no difference in sound quality between decoding DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD in the PS3 or in the HK. You just don't have the satisfaction of seeing it displayed on the receiver's display panel. BTW, the Dolby/DTS HD codecs exist because the data is "packed" in a smaller space, whereas if they used uncompressed LPCM -- as with many early BD discs -- it would take up much more space on the disc.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us