Decoding questions

Username: Rgathany

Post Number: 9
As I try to decide on a system upgrade, I am relying on information that is probably about 15 years out of date. Can anyone answer the following to help me catch up a bit?
1. Are there multiple encoding/decoding technologies on different DVD movies, such as Dolby, DTX, THX, others? If so, do I need a decoder for each technology if I want to get the full audio effects on every movie? Is the answer the same on Blu Ray as it is on standard DVDs?
2. Where does the decoder go in the system? Presently I have an old Yamaha receiver that only has Pro Logic built in. Do I put decoders in a processor or tape monitor loop, or should I be looking at a new head unit that has decoders built in?
3. I now have Panasonic Blu Ray (560?) and plasma TV, both with HDMI. Is there an already decoded signal that comes out of that somewhere that I can feed into my 5 audio channels?
Thanks in advance. When I have enough info to know what to ask, I'll be wanting to know more and will post additional questions then, but if you anticipate something that I don't know that I don't know yet, you can throw some of your wisdom at me in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1084
Decoders are built into the players

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
So, will a current player (ie. Panasonic Blu Ray) have a decoder for all the current and past audio formats that may be available on various DVDs? If so, will the player "know" what the format of the sound on the DVD is and automatically decode it? My only experience in this area is Pro Logic, which is built into the preamp (receiver) and is engaged by pushing a button. However, if the movie is not Pro Logic encoded, it will not play out of some of the speakers and it sounds like crap. What is the actual difference between Dolby digital and DTS and THX? or whatever other formats may be out there? By the way, how many audio formats are there on DVDs, and am I even using the right term in calling them "formats?"

Gold Member

Post Number: 1087
If I only got paid by the question...

There are several formats as you have noted and if the player can handle them there is usually a logo on the front of the player somewhere.

More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surround_sound

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Thanks. I used to pay for the answering of questions by buying from the salesman that gave me good information. Now it seems that salesmen that know anything are few and far between.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1088
The big box stores and the economy combine to probably make that very true.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us