Cutoff frequency, phase & Level Setting for Jamo S200

Username: Goof5275

Post Number: 1
Greeting AV community,
I recently bought a Jamo S 416 HCS 3 and Jamo S200 subwoofer system hooked up to a Onkyo TX-SR304. Front speakers are S416, Center are S41 CEN.1 and Rear Spkrs are S412. The basic setup has been done. However the manual is quite vague in showing tuning settings. Here are my queries:

1) What suitable cutoff frequency, level and phase settings must I use for the speakers?

2) Judging from sound when I adjust "Level" gives the depth of bass. "Cut off frequency" gives the humming vibration effect of low frequency sound. Can someone give me some guide on which are the suitable setting for these 2 parameters?

3) I tried turning the "Phase" knob but could not feel the difference in sound. How does this work and how do i tune it?

4) Cross over setting is put at 150Mhz on the Onkyo unit. The front speaker cone diameter is 6.5inches. Is this ok?

5) The technician gave me a component cable which consists of 3 head. He used one of the cable to connect the coax connection between the amp and the Phillips DVD player. I get the DTS & Dobly surround sound. However I would like to know if a proper coaxial cable should be used and what type/brand?

6) There are many discussion regarding the superiority of coaxial and optical cables. Any comment on this?

I would appreciate some light shed on these enquiries as I am a first time newbie buying home theater system. Thank you.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 869
Greetings Chris,

Please see if this helps you with some of your questions:

http://www.customconnectionsonline.com/faq5.html

http://www.customconnectionsonline.com/faq6.html

Post Number: 2
Hi Jim,

Thank you for the reply regarding the speakers. I will try it out and see how it works out. One more thing, any info regarding the cables?

Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 870
Specifically to question 5 I would suggest that you try a proper cable but if it is a relatively short run you may not be able to detect the difference in the sound.

Question 6 will likely get some debate going but the coax will be cheaper and once again I can't imagine that you could hear the difference.

Some more info:

http://www.customconnectionsonline.com/faq7.html

regarding speaker wire:

http://www.customconnectionsonline.com/faq10.html

Please let me know if this helps you at all.

Post Number: 3
Hi Jim,

Been busy the past week. The information provided by you is very informative and useful. I will test the settings for the crossover and phase angle and posted.

One more thing I noticed that the bass sound when I am at different position from the system. How come I can hear the deep bass sound (Low Frequency sound) more when I at the back of the system adjusting the subwoofer rather than when I am sitting right in front of the main speakers on the sofa? Is this normal for a 5.1 system? The sound is much richer when I listen to same music in front of a normal 2.0 hi fi system. The subwoofer is located at the left hand side corner of the wall. The Left main speaker is beside the sub woofer. The TV cabinet is in between the two main speakers. The distance between main speakers and sub to the sofa is 2 meters

Silver Member

Post Number: 880
Hi Chris,

The science of low frequency sound is rather straight forward but is entirely different that that of high frequency sound. Several things are different with one of them being the directional effect that you are experiencing. High frequency sound travels in straight lines and is best heard while right in front of the source (speaker). Low frequency sound travels in what is called an omni-directional fashion that can be very hard to determine exactly where it is coming from. What you hear while behind the subwoofer in your system is a reflection off the wall and may or may not be desirable.
From my point of view this is where the fun starts! Try moving the sub slowly to different locations, both further from and closer to the wall/corner, to see how the sound changes at the sofa. You will be surprised at how small changes in location can make large differences in sound.

More help is available at this FAQ:

http://customconnectionsonline.com/faq4.html

Post Number: 4
Yo Jim,

Thanks for the tip. I am doing what you said. Guess what, the bass sound best when I change phase angle directly opposite of 0 deg which is at 360 deg. I am tweaking around the position of the sub to get the balanced bass sound when I am sitting on the sofa.

Its fun by the way. Crossover I have set it to 150Mhz at the moment. The max is 200Mhz. Is this ok for 6.5" cone?

About the reflection sound when from the back of the sub and speakers, can my neighbours hear the deep bass sound over next door? I do not want to bombard my neighbours when I am blasting my sub and speakers especially during exciting movie parts!

Post Number: 5
Hi Jim,

I am considering getting a Blu Ray player. However can my amp Onkyo TX-SR304 support the new DTS-HD? This amp basically supports the basic DTS and Dobly 5.1, Neo6. It has the analogue 6 RCA connector jack. Is this possible?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us