Samsung DLP Color Issues (Help Needed)

Username: Rabidtuna

Post Number: 1
Hello, I am having trouble with my Samsung DLP TV (HLR4677W)

Here is the issue that has been happening consistently for about 1 week:
The TV will run fine for ~30 minutes. After ~30 minutes the picture starts flickering and then the colors get all "messed up" (it looks blurry, with limited colors, and similar to "pop art" posters). Once this issue kicks in, it impacts all inputs (HDMI, component, AV, basic cable, etc).

If I turn the TV off at this point, it will not come back on. It tries to cycle on several times before shutting down, but a picture will not show. If I give the TV about 15 minutes, it will come back on, but I will start experiencing the same problem (usually within ~5 minutes).

I've tried a couple things with no luck:
- I made sure that the TV is plugged directly into a wall outlet to ensure proper cooling.
- I placed a large fan behind the TV to see if it would resolve a potential cooling problem.

I've read up online and I am questioning if this could be a color wheel problem, but these I haven't found matching symptoms yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Pjmaster

United Kingdom

Post Number: 11
The problem seems to be in your color wheel or Bulb. Check them both out....

Username: Rabidtuna

Post Number: 2
So I replaced the color wheel and this solved my problems. The old color wheel was visually damaged (wires were burned). Hopefully there is not a failure somewhere else at the root of this problem.

My symptoms were:
- Discoloration (limited colors)
- Duplicate images/screen flickering
- TV would not power on when symptoms were present.
- Symptoms showed ~30 mins after TV was turned on.

Username: Gilwe

Post Number: 1
Hi, I came across this thread as I was having the exact same problem in my Sharp PG-M20X projector, exact same symptoms. I was taking it apart assuming I would find burnt out color wheel wires, but they were perfectly new. Than I found no less than a dead BEE laying inside, just between the lamp housing and the color wheel ! I guess it was making the projector heat more than usual or the fans were blowing the bee over the wheel causing it to malfunction ?.... Anyway, let it run for 45 minutes in full power with no issues, hope this solved the problem (it used to start double-image flickering and loose colors after 5 minuted when in full power and 20 minuted in power save mode).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us