Best B&W Rear Speakers

Username: Tallqball

Post Number: 1
I'm new, but am building up a nice system. I just got a house with a 15x20 dedicated Media room. It will be equally split between Music and Home Theater use. I have:
Denon AVR-3600
Nautilus 804s Front
HTM1 Center
ASW750 Sub

The question is: DS8s (dipole/monopole) for rears, or 805s? I really can't manage sides too, as one side wall is all fireplace and bookshelves. Your thoughts?

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15367
Welcome to eCoustics tallqball!

Usualy the best is to use the same speakers for rear and for front but the 805s match very well with the 804s.

Try the 804s like front speaker to see if it match better with the sub. It will more respect the phasing.

Post Number: 2
I don't quite understand your last sentence. I currently have a set of 803 Matrixes that will be leaving soon. I'll try these as rears for a bit. My only concern is that the room is actually 13.5 by 21 feet. I am limited as to how far behind the rear speakers will be from your ears. So the 805s would either be on stands against the walls, or on shelves built on the walls. I am still sorting out the fronts, they are about 2 feet from the front wall.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15372
Maybe a little plan of your room would help me to answer correctly.

Post Number: 3
application/pdfUpload
HT.pdf (54.9 k)

Hopefully this upload works of my sketch. There is a door and a doorway on the right side, windows behind the sofa, and fireplace and bookshelves on the left side. Thanks for your help!

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15384
OH I see!

You can put your speaker like this direct on the floor for the 805s or the DS8s on the wall, I prefer the floor solution but you are the only one to know if you want them on the floor.
Upload

Post Number: 4
I was working on a deal on some close-out DS8s, but one advantage of a floor solution is they can go in front of at least one window. Think I need to look into some good heavy drapes too... Thanks for your help!

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15387
Tallqball

I prefer the floor solution for 2 reasons, you can directed the speakers to you ears then you will have no reflection on the wall like a wall solution.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 807
You have a very nice set up but the receiver may be your next upgrade. A new Denon with HDMI switching and a Blu-ray player may be in your future.

Post Number: 5
Yeah, I know the Denon is now dated, but it does a good job of driving the speakers. Because I have an international family, I need to get a Blu-ray that is not region specific. Any tips?

FYI, My old Ohm C2s on stands sounded pretty good for rear speakers. The Matrix 803s match better, but are a bit obscured by the sofa.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us