Rear speakers making clicking noises ?

Username: Contactadam2002

Post Number: 1
I have a Yamaha RX-V2400RDS. The rear speakers have recently started making clicking noises. The clicking noise will pass from one rear speaker to the other on random occasions whether a source is being input through the receiver or not. It normally occurs on my DVD player (5.1 signal through optical cable) near the beginning of a film for a short while and then sometimes later on again.It has also occurred when I've been watching Freeview through my DVR. The obvious answer is of course to check the speaker cables at the recievers rear for any contact or crosswireing, but I want that to be a last resort because it'll take a while as it'll need to be pulled out and every cable removed from the banana plugs before being reinserted. The main issue is that it only occurs on the rears and not the center or fronts so any answers would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 299
Did this noise start after a significant amount of time working properly? In other words, have you had this system for a year or more and this just started happening?

I am trying to figure out if this was caused by the installation (wiring) or if something detrimental has happened to the receiver over time.

Post Number: 2
It's three and a half years old and worked fine prior to one and a half weeks ago. But it only happens for a short while. Never the less it's still irritating if I'm watching a film and I have ten mins of intermittent clicking.

Post Number: 3
After this morning it was fine for the rest of the day

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 300
MMM, well the good news is that I doubt it is the wires (unless you recently made a change).

Because of the intermittent nature of the noise the first thing to look for is a motor or large inductive device that might be running close to anything from the receiver on back to the speakers when this noise occurs.

If that doesn't make any sense then the news gets worse as we go along. Can you get to the back of the receiver?

Try temporarily plugging the receiver power into a different circuit in the house, then check again. If the problem goes away get yourself a good surge protector/line conditioner and you will solve the problem. If the problem persists it would be interesting to rewire (at the back of the receiver) the front speakers to the rears to see if the noise travels to the fronts. If so, the receiver needs to go see a Doctor.

If the cabinet the receiver is in is so tightly packed that wiring is difficult then we may have narrowed down the possibilities considerably. Heat kills receivers!

Post Number: 4
Thanks, I'll start crossing them off as I go one by one. I watched a movie recently and there was no clicking at all.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us