How to choose right subwoofer and speakers?

Username: Skalavala

Post Number: 1
Hello:

I need a little guidance here as I am new to this Home Theater setup.We are finishing our basement, and I bought Onkyo RC180 receiver (based on several reviews and recommendations). I need to shop for speakers and sub-woofer.

The question is - what specification should I look for in a subwoofer and speakers based on my receiver's output? The receiver output is 110 watts/Channel @8 ohms. The receiver supports 7.1 channel, and I was thinking of going to 5.1 initially and have additional two if required (later). When I buy a sub woofer, should I buy the subwoofer that supports 110 watts? What is the 110 watts used for? Is that same for speakers too?

Also, what are some good brands I should look for? I am willing to spend around $800 (max) to a $1000 stretch.

I currently have Bose Lifestyle 12 series, and I don't want to use the same in our basement as it is not compliant with third-party receivers (I know it sucks, I am not making that mistake again!).

Here is the link to the receiver specifications.
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-RC180&class=Receiver&p=s

Any response is highly appreciated. Please refer me to any other post if this topic is already covered, which I may have overlooked.

Thanks in advance!

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 383
lets see yes bose is shite!
way to start off on the right foot with us SK!

paradigm,cinemas etc
boston acoustics
tannoy, ht200or 100
Do you want them small how big is your room?
wall mountable like ahem bose?
psb ht1 5.1 setup is good value.

vince
theaudioguy.ca

Username: Skalavala

Post Number: 2
Thanks Vince.

My room dimensions are about 23ft long and 14 ft wide. I would like them to be small, but flexible. I read online somewhere that the front-left, front-center and front-right speakers should be at your ear level, so I'm thinking of getting the front left and right on floor standing ones, and the front-center I'll keep it on the floor level. The rest of the two speakers are going to be wall-mounted, and not in-wall.

I am still not sure what power sub woofer I need to get based on my Onkyo receiver. May be I need to make a trip to the nearest audio store and best buy.

Thanks,
Suresh

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 385
Go with affordable Boston acoustics
Price
Cost performance
No one compares

Go to amazon and research these
Read reviews
Cs series not cd
Doesn't exist
So cs model numbers

Front 2
Cd 226
Center
Cd 225 cb
Rears
Cs 23b
Sub
Cs sub 10b
Less then $1000
Use audioquest Spk wire
14 or 16/2 flex

You'd be amazed

theaudioguy.ca

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 386
Cs 226
Cs 225cb
Cs 23b
Cs sub 10b

Silver Member
Username: Nency

Post Number: 123
First establish where the speakers will be placed. Will it be in your home office? Or will they be used for your home theater? Think first about how you will be using the speakers and what you want out of them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us