NEED HELP: Choice of Picture or Sound

Username: Seahag

Post Number: 1
We have a Panasonic DVD sound system (Mod. SC-HT67) and recently purchased a Magnavox LCD HDTV (42MF438B). We had the previous TV connected to DISH via the VCR & DVD sound system. If we connect that way now, the picture is snowy. If we connect directly to the TV as suggested by DISH, we can't get the sound through the DVD sound system let alone figure out how to include the Panasonic VCR. Hook up instructions as provided by both manufacturers aren't working. Anyone have any ideas?

Bronze Member
Username: Rmammerschuber

NY USA

Post Number: 39
Your best bet now is to connect directly to the TV then feed the sound out to the Aux input on the HT67 (assuming this is connectable). If you want to record from the feed then you'll likely have to split the dish signal to feed both the TV and the DVD/VCR.

All this would be so much simpler if the FCC required cable / sat companies to allow production of digital signal ready TV and components. I mean really; other than them making money off of me for the "box" why do I need a set top box in the 21st century??? I ought to be able to pop a card into my TV or HT and call it a day!

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1018
Your ideal connection would depend a lot of the cables you are using. My idea would be to send video to the tv and the audio to the HTiB. Taking audio out of the tv can cause all kinds of troubles.

Best bet, HDMI from the cable box (sending both audio and video) and an optical or digital coax to the HTiB.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your help, Robert & Jim. Here's the latest in the saga:
We have DISH connected directly to the TV and the picture is great. Tried to connect to the DVD/sound surround using the AUX input; still no sound other than through the TV.
Re the cables, we're using component (yellow, red, white) and have also tried S-feed with the RCA audio jacks. We haven't tried HDMI as DISH told us we couldn't use an HDMI connector unless we subscribed to HD and had a special box. Is this inaccurate?
Amen to this being ridiculously more complicated than it needs to be - what a pain!

Bronze Member

NY USA

Post Number: 41
Hi again JK

I must admit I have never had dish so I am unfamiliar with their equipment... Seems to me that if the box has an HDMI connection then it should be connectable but I could be wrong.

As for the audio I assume you connected aud LR out from the TV to the aux LR in on the HT67? If this is the case you may want to check the settings on the TV to see if you need to instruct it to turn on aud. output in fixed or variable modes. Also make sure you have the correct source selected on the HT67 (aux).

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1020
Since you spent the money on your new TV you would be doing yourself a huge favor by getting the HD box from DISH. You think the picture looks good now then you are REALLY going to like what HD will do for you!

Bronze Member

NY USA

Post Number: 42
Uh oh, I just did some research and it would appear you only have digital audio out on that TV:
Below from Phillips WWW
1.The TV only has a digital audio output (coaxial) and does not have an RCA audio (red and white) output. The audio equipment must have a digital audio/digital coax/spdif input in order to work with the TV.
2.If you have analog audio equipment without a digital audio input, you can connect the audio output from the cable/satellite box directly to the audio equipment. (click here for connection)
3.You can also purchase a 1/8" to 2 RCA Y cable. Plug the single end into the headphone jack at the side of TV and match the red and white cables up to the input on your audio system.

So if the HT67 does not have dig. aud. in your only option would be split the aud. and video from the dish or go with headphone y-RCA connector.

Bronze Member

NY USA

Post Number: 43
OK JK, looks like this HT67 ia a pretty basic unit with no coax, hdmi or digital audio input or output for that matter. You might want to consider getting yourself a new reciever / HT amp.

As it looks now you'll only be able to get audio from the tv to the HT through the headphone jack on the TV into the aud LR on the HT67.

Now taking Jims thought above You could possibly by a couple RCA audio Y cables and split the audio signal from the dish box to two feeds connecting one feed to the TV and the other to the HT???

Post Number: 3
Hi Robert & Jim,
Thanks so much for doing research on this, guys. I'm getting pretty lost.

The DISH box is on the upstairs TV, the setup for which is working great so no plans to tempt fate by switching anything up there. No plans to get HD; DISH is already getting it's pound of flesh.

Next step will be to get an RCA audio Y cable as suggested, connect it to the headphone jack on the TV and run it into the HT in audio. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks for your help!

JK

Post Number: 4
Robert, you're a genius! The RCA "Y" cable connected to the DVD/HT is channeling audio through the sound system. I was then able to connect both the DVD & the VCR (audio to DVD/HT; video to TV) and am good to go. Thank you SO much for your help!

JK

Bronze Member

NY USA

Post Number: 44
Haha I keep trying to tell my wife that! Glad to help and happy to hear you have what you were looking for.

That setup does cost you some quality in the fidelity but unless you're a perfectionist you should be pleased enough with the results.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us