I'm Having Problems With My Onkyo...

Username: Mannequin

Morristown, NJ

Post Number: 1
Within the last 8-10 weeks the audio with my HTIB has been giving me problems. I have the Onkyo HT-S755DVC which I bought a year and a half ago.

The problem is that the audio is ... dropping, so to speak. It doesn't always happen, however. It usually occurs midway through or towards the end of a DVD, and never when I'm watching television.

It starts with a very light "thumping" sound. Like the soundtrack is skipping evvver so slightly. I have a very sensitive ear so I pick up on it right away. It stands out enough for me to recognize when it's happening and when it's not. Then... the quality of the sound "dips" slightly. Voices become a little deeper, for example.

I was so annoyed by this that I rewired my whole system. I upgraded the shitty wire that it shipped with to 12 gauge speaker wire thinking that would solve the problem.

Sadly, it didn't :-(

So I'm now wondering if it may be heat problems. It's getting exceptionally warm here and I don't have air conditioning in my apartment. I also watch a lot of television and movies. Sometimes the receiver is on for long periods of time. (Occassionally, I leave it on overnight accidentally).

Could these be the cause of my problems or do you think the issue is more serious? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I sent in my warranty to Onkyo when I bought the receiver, so I hope that if it's a problem, they will fix it.

Audio Newb
Unregistered guest
Well, if it never happens when you watch TV, and it does happen about the same time when you watch dvd's, It sounds like something wrong with your DVD player. Possibly, Something wrong with the audio output or internally. If it was your receiver, it would happen all the time (with the TV). Try a different DVD player and see if that solves it.

Morristown, NJ

Post Number: 2
Of course, good point. How could I pinpoint the problem to audio output or internal? What would I have to do to test that? The audio output is pretty straightforward. I'm using an optical cord that plugs directly into the receiver.

Would I just replace this?

Audio Newb
Unregistered guest
no idea, I guess you try a different Optical cable. If that doesnt work, I would definately contact Onkyo for warranty service. If its out of warranty, i can tell you where to get a 6-disc Onkyo Refurb for $108 w/ free shipping. I just bought one and it's sweet.

Morristown, NJ

Post Number: 3
I probably have the same one. Does it play DVD-Rs and such, or just standard DVDs? Because I was thinking, if I have to get a new DVD Player I would probably get one that supports the new format.s
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us