Echo when playing DVD with Dolby hooked to Receiver with Dolby and DTS decoding

Username: Kharper

Post Number: 1
I have a JVC DVD player which I used to have hooked up to just a two-channel receiver. Due to other changes in my home theatre, I moved the JVC to my other system, because I added an HDTV and the JVC is capable of 480p output. It also has a digital coax output for multi-channel sound. When I checked the connections out, everything seemed fine (watching my daughter's Miss Congeniality as a test DVD).

However, last night my daughter started watching Pirates of the Carribean. My Sony receiver detected the full array of Dolby sound and LFE (low frequency something), and the display on the receiver looked appropriate; but the sound was horrible. There was an echo effect on all of the voices, and a subtle hissing sound as well, as I recall. Can anyone help me decipher what settings on the DVD player, or on the receiver, or both, need to be changed?

I'd like to solve this problem before hooking my TV's optical digital output to the other digital input on my receiver.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 359
You probably just had the receiver on the wrong DSP setting. If that's the problem all you have to do is set it on any normal mode that's not concert hall or something like that. If that's not the problem then I don't know.

Post Number: 2
That's what I thought at first, so I cycled through the various settings, starting with A.Dec. (for automatically decide), and various concert hall, stage, theatre, and some film-related "sound stage" variations, but the echo was pretty constantly there; nothing resulted in a good sound; and when I left it on A.Dec. it still had the problem. Thanks anyway, though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 360
Yeah I guess that's just the way things go. Did you have a problem with the other dvd player?

Post Number: 3
I think I did on at least one occassion; so I think there is some setting somewhere I need to change; I have also developed a theory that there may have been a DVD-specific setting to check as well.

Post Number: 4
Well, now I feel pretty stupid. I got home and tested this issue with a DVD I had played when setting everything up, and encountered the same phenomenon. When I went to check on whether the TV had the same problem, I discovered the TV speakers were on and the receiver was on; the miniscule lag between when the TV processed the sound and when the receiver did created the echo; muting one or the other eliminated it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 373
Well that goes to show how those little things can effect the sound!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us