Help with setting up PS2 dolby?

Chad
I have my onkyo 500 for about 7 months now and finally got the dolby sound to work with my dvd, very impressive. Now I must figure out how to get dolby on Ps2 games, but havent found it any where on the net how to acomplish this task. I went into the menu on the PS2 and turned the optical out to ON, and turned the game setting to dolby, but still cant get it to work! I have the optical cable hooked up. Any help would be greatly, greatly appricated!!!
Thanks,
soonersz71@msn.com

Rob
Have you tried watching DD or DTS movies from your PS2? Did you get DD or DTS? If your movies work, then your games should, too. Perhaps, the games you're playing don't support DD or DTS.

Chad
Ok I tried a movie in the ps2 and it has DD. The game I tried is Medal Of Honor: Frontline, it says dolby surround on the back of it. I went into the game settings and selected dolby there, and it still doesnt say dolby on front of the receiver. I think I read somewhere that you have to turn on the dolby on the ps2 on the configeration screen but I cant find that screen?

Rob
Does the PS2 manual have anything to say about it?

Chad
Well see thats the problem, it probably would if I knew where it was,lol. I couldnt find it to download it off the net. Oh well I guess maybe someday I will figure it out. But thanks for the help Rob!

Anonymous
Have you gone to the audio menu on the PS2? You have to turn it on without a disk inside to get to the system menus.

Rob
http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/HardwareReviews/SonyPlayStation2/SonyPlayStation2.html

try this, not detailed but it might help.

Unregistered guest
What version of PS2 do you have? Remember that there are 7 different versions of the PS2 and Rob's link is clearly speaking of version 1. There likely were some improvemnts.

Troy
Unregistered guest
Dolby Digital is only used in the cutscenes of games, not the games themselves. Some of the newer PS2 games utilize Dolby Pro Logic 2, & DTS.

For more info check out www.Dolby.com

ab3451
Unregistered guest
is there any games that use dolby not only in the cutscenes but the actual games themselves and if so if theres something moving behind you in the game can you hear it in the speaker behind you too?

MarkOcena
Unregistered guest
As Troy mentioned, PS2 has support for Dolby Digital 5.1 ONLY in cutscenes that are prerendered. So you can't get get Dolby Digital 5.1 during gameplay. Most games now have Dolby Prologic II encoding, which allows your sound system to almost give you full surround sound. The surround information is actually stored in two channels of infomration (left and right) and then decoded with the proper piece of equipment (receiver). With Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS, there are as many as 6 channels of discreet information for each speaker, not just two. MUCH more immersive. Fortunetly, there are some games that do have DTS. You can find these listed at the DTS website:

http://www.dtsonline.com/home&car/gaming/

Two good ones are GTA: Vice City and EA's NHL and FIFA series. By the way, many believe that DTS sounds better than Dolby Digital, so it's good to have it in some games at least. X-BOX is the system you should get if you want Dolby Digital 5.1 in practically every game, during gameplay and cutscenes.

Later,
Mark

Chris Watkins
Unregistered guest
As everyone is saying,the Playstation 2 can ONLY play Dolby Digital while playing DVDs{you have to go to the setup option while playing a DVD by pressing Select on your controller to turn on Dolby Audio}or during cutscenes on certian games.The Playstation 2 can NOT use Dolby Digital during Gameplay{only Xbox can do that}.However,most PS2 games are compadiable with Dolby Pro Logic II.So only with the use of a Dolby Pro Logic or Dolby Pro Logic II system can you get Dolby Digital Surround Sound from your games concidering that PS2 does not actively support Dolby Digital 5.1

Tobias
Unregistered guest
If the Game says Dolby Surround, it is not the same as DD. Dolby Surround is just 4 speaker, DD is 5.1! So no wonder that it doesnt say anything about DD at your receiver

Unregistered guest
I hooked up my optical sound and put my receiver to automatic but the dolby icon still doesnt come on...the sound works fine but my subwoofer never even kicks in when i play games! Will it only work in cutscenes? Or can I get this to work in gameplay?

erhan
Unregistered guest
I can not watch DTS films in my PS2. I can not turn DTS option in the PS2 menu. What should I do? Can I find and update new firmwares?

Anonymous

Just managed to do it. If you start playing a movie, first choose 'dts' in the setup menu from the movie itself.
After that you press 'select' on your controller, which pops up the ps2 on screen dvd menu. Here you can choose some kind of setup icon, which gets you into a new screen with four icons. In this screen there's an audio icon.

Pressing this icon gives you a menu, where you can see that your digital output is turned on, but DTS is turned off. Switch DTS to 'on' and you get DTS-sound instantly.

Make sure your receivers audio in is put on 'auto' (I got a Yamaha receiver).

Good luck!

Menniac
Unregistered guest
Just managed to do it. If you start playing a movie, first choose 'dts' in the setup menu from the movie itself.
After that you press 'select' on your controller, which pops up the ps2 on screen dvd menu. Here you can choose some kind of setup icon, which gets you into a new screen with four icons. In this screen there's an audio icon.

Pressing this icon gives you a menu, where you can see that your digital output is turned on, but DTS is turned off. Switch DTS to 'on' and you get DTS-sound instantly.

Make sure your receivers audio in is put on 'auto' (I got a Yamaha receiver).

Good luck!

ScottofMichigan
Unregistered guest
Okay all of you with a PS2 listen because here is the answer to all your problems. First of all, to turn on DTS on your ps2 this is what your do. While watching a movie hit the circle button twice in a row. Make sure you hit it two times. If you hit select and go to the setup options DTS will be shaded out and you can do nothing. Okay now that you have hit the circle button twice, go to setup and then the audio options. You will now be able to turn on DTS. Now as for watching movies in DTS rather than Dolby Digital. First obviously, the movie must be encoded in DTS, then you must select DTS in the DVD menu before you watch a movie. This option can be found in the main menu under audio options or sometimes it's under language options. Almost all movies assume and select Dolby Digital as default. This should fix all your woes.

ghuke
Unregistered guest
I too have Chad's original problem of not being able to get Pro Logic II to work in-game on PS2. Watching DVDs on PS2 is fine - they are in DTS or DD. My reciever has a Pro Logic II light but this never comes on for any games that say Pro Logic II on the back. I have the same problem with the Gamecube which also supports Pro Logic II albeit via L & R RCA instead of optical like PS2.

emarelem
Unregistered guest
Most amps cannot detect a Pro logic signal because it could be a valid Stereo signal - some new amps can.

Dolby Pro Logic (1 II IIx) will not be detected in the same way as DD or DTS because if you are using SPDIF (Optical or Coaxial digital connection) the Pro Logic signal is just sent as a normal stereo 44.1Khz/16Bit PCM signal and will play as such on a 2 channel amp. Whereas a DD or DTS signal is completly different and an AV amp will quickly switch to avoid damaging your speakers with very high amplitude/frequency digital noise.

What you need to do is tell your amp that it has a Pro Logic source by selecting PL or PLII Movie mode (not music mode) and listening for sound from the back speakers. If there is some then it is definately working.

Vindictive
Unregistered guest
I about ripped my freakin hair out (wait, I don't have any) trying to get in game surround to work. I did figure out how to make it work on DVD's, but the in game stuff WILL NOT WORK. It's rediculous. I'll try to set the receiver to PLII, and see if it picks up the signal enough, but it's really frustrating. It really reminds me why I haven't played my PS2 in months and only play xbox. Stupid PS2.

Unregistered guest
hello all is it me or my ps2 all i get is discs error can't play games or moves can you help

Gaf
Unregistered guest
hi, my playstation 2 will not play dvd's that are in DTS format. under the setup settings, the DTS feature is already turned on. i try to set the features on the actual dvd under the audio setup menu and it still doesn't play. what can i do now??

Gaf
Unregistered guest
hi, my playstation 2 will not play dvd's that are in DTS format. under the setup settings, the DTS feature is already turned on. i try to set the features on the actual dvd under the audio setup menu and it still doesn't play. what can i do now??

Gaf
Unregistered guest

Family Guy
Unregistered guest
As Emerelem pointed out, everybody can enjoy Dolby Pro Logic II if you have the normal AV jacks. The receiver light WILL NOT come on AUTOMATICALLY (this applies to ALL the game systems). All you have to do is SET THE RECEIVER to Dolby Pro Logic II. The light then comes on, the receiver decodes you disc, and voila... you'll hear sound from your surround speakers and woofer.

pizamp
Unregistered guest
i am having a hard time watching the aviator on my ps2. first time watchng a movie on it ? could someone walk me through it please?

willzwap
Unregistered guest
hi there fellas. good thing i found this forum.
i think you guys are great.
im experiencing some problems playing DTS on my ps2.
i have turned the DTS on on the system settings and when i play a movie with DTS, it has no sound.
there is no prob with DD 5.1 and 2.0 bcoz they are playing well.
i really want to play a movie with DTS coz the sound is really good.
btw, my receiver is a JVC and it's DTS compatible.
i've tried other dvd player before and the DTS works.
tia for help guys. chill out!

Unregistered guest
thank you guys for posting your findings on this forum. it's been great reading all these solutions. i have the smaller redesigned PS2 and it's smaller than i thought it would be. anyways, the problem i have is only with DVD playback. DTS, DD5.1... can't get 'em. i never use the dualshock2 as the remote so, how can i access these options and keep them on during movies. i read that you can save your dvd settings to the memory card which is great. but how can i activate, save and switch between DTS and DD 5.1. i had no problems with my xbox. on xbox, my receiver would scroll left to right saying "DOLBY DIGITAL 3/2.1. on ps2 movies, it just says "pro logic II" even if i've selected a different audio set up. help!

Unregistered guest
thank you guys for posting your findings on this forum. it's been great reading all these solutions. i have the smaller redesigned PS2 and it's smaller than i thought it would be. anyways, the problem i have is only with DVD playback. DTS, DD5.1... can't get 'em. i never use the dualshock2 as the remote so, how can i access these options and keep them on during movies. i read that you can save your dvd settings to the memory card which is great. but how can i activate, save and switch between DTS and DD 5.1. i had no problems with my xbox. on xbox, my receiver would scroll left to right saying "DOLBY DIGITAL 3/2.1. on ps2 movies, it just says "pro logic II" even if i've selected a different audio set up. help!

ouija
Unregistered guest
i couldnt watch the aviator either and then the same w/ hotel Rowanda. why? needless to say my wife is kinda upset about it since i convinced her that getting PS2 would give us another dvd player. as is now i have to unhook the svid and optical connect and switch them to th eOLD dvd player. someone needs to contact sony about this.

Lewis
Unregistered guest
Great information on this site. Have recently bought Herao PXD 5.1 speakers for my PS2. The sound is great apart from a high frequency background whistle. Can anyone help please ?

ofblong
Unregistered guest
[quote]Just managed to do it. If you start playing a movie, first choose 'dts' in the setup menu from the movie itself.

Make sure your receivers audio in is put on 'auto' (I got a Yamaha receiver). [/quote]

I used this solution. the guy frommichigan does the same exact thing. I dont know where he got that it doesnt work by hitting select but it sure as heck does.

Unregistered guest
Hello,

I have just bought a Jazz J9928 5.1 Private Digital Home Theatre System(you can check it out here http://www.jazzspeakers.com) but I have a problem. I want to use it especially with my Sony Play Station 2. As you know PS2 can both play dvd games and films. I have no problem about watching films and I enjoy the 5.1 ch sound. But I cannot do it with ps2 games. For jazz J9928, a number comes to screen of central speaker which indicates the version of sound, 321 for dolby digital, 311 for dolby pro logic and 200 for stereo. Whenever I play games, 200 appears on the screen. I connect my system to console via the optical cable that was in the box of speaker system and enable Dolby Pro Logic sound in game audio menu, but it doesn't work. Can you please help??? How can I get 5.1 ch (DOLBY or DOLBY PRO LOGIC) sound in my games? My system does not support dolby pro logic II. Can this be the reason? But PS2, itself, cannot support dolby pro logic II, either. It only suppots Dolby Digital and DTS. Please help. Thanks...

Unregistered guest
Hi,

Anyone having trouble getting DTS working with ps2, try this:

1. Insert a dvd with dts sound and start it normally

2. Stop the play with the O-button. Go to the setup-menu and check if you can alter the DTS-setting at the Audio Setup menu.

3. If not, press select as long as the menu is still showing. When it goes away, press the O-button again (maybe a few times) and check if you can alter DTS-setting this time. If you can, press the start-button to play the dvd, select DTS-sound from the dvds language/audio-menu and enjoy the better(?) sound. If not, repeat step 3.

This worked for me after the second time I went through the menus.

Hope this helps.

Ben25
Unregistered guest
Great , i've tryed ScottofMichigan
solution, it doesn't work. But scaithenn
's solutions works perfectly on my new slim ps2 (bought 12/05). post just before this one.

Thanks to you all.

Username: Dfg1983

Post Number: 1
When I tried the "O" Button solution, it did not work the first time. What fixed the problem for me was using the "O" button solution to select the signal before you select the audio signal on the DVD; other wise DTS was grayed out.

So

1. Loud up the DVD
2. Go to your sound options for the DVD but do not do anything
3. Tap the "O" button twice to bring up the PS2 DVD menu
4. Select setup
5. go to the audio tab
6. Pick the audio option of choice, for me it was DTS (You can turn both on so your receiver can decode either signal you choose from the respective DVD
7. Pres play on the remoter to recess your inserted DVD.
8. Choose the corresponding audio option on your DVD
9. Play the dammed movie and enjoy!

Hope this helps.

Username: Dfg1983

Post Number: 2
Number 1 should of course say load sorry

Username: Danieltiger23

Post Number: 1
Yeah thats all good & well. But how do you play a game in 5.1??

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11411
If your game is made in 5.1 and if your PS is connected to a receiver or a device that can decode 5.1 signals.

Post Number: 2
So if your game is in Dolby Pro Logic 2 what sound should you get from what speakers?? As ive got all 5 going just not the sub.

Thanks

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11418
Dolby Pro Logic II processes stereo into 5.1 surround. It is supposed to be at full bandwidth. If your game is in DPL2, you should be getting 5.1 surround as well.

Post Number: 3
So why is it then i can onlt get 2.1 or 5.0 on all my games that are in DPL2??

By the way thanks for your help Benny.
Daniel

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11420
How is the PS2 connected to the receiver?

Post Number: 4
Its hooked up via the optical cable.
Ive got all my speakers set to large & the sub wont go. But if i set all speakers to small the sub will work the rear speakers wont.
I have been told this is because the PS2 isnt in true surround.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11422
You have to go into the audio settings of the PS2 and set the output to digital.

Post Number: 5
I have already done that its set to optical on.
As for any other audio setting there isnt any. Only when i play a dvd through the PS2 thats in 5.1 i can get them all going by changing the audio settings there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us