Dolby surround prologic II

Bronze Member
Username: Siva_19742002

Post Number: 12
Hi all,

i want to know the difference between dolby surround prologic II and dolby prologic II.
If i want to get tv audio in surround sound , should i have to buy the home theater system which has dolby surround prologic II feature?.
Thanks

Username: Reddfoxx

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4
Here's a bit of reading for you.

http://hometheater.about.com/od/beforeyoubuy/a/surroundsound_4.htm

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 808
"i want to know the difference between dolby surround prologic II and dolby prologic II."

They're the same thing.

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 6
Sorry to burst your bubble John, but they are not the same.

Surround Sound 101
All surround sound systems, regardless of the technology or number of speakers used, are trying to accomplish the same thing: make you feel more involved in the action. And just about all of them have more things in common than not.

Dolby Digital 5.1

Dolby Digital 5.1 is a surround sound format offering as many as six distinct sound channels that can place a sound effect anywhere in the viewing area. The name 5.1 means the system is made up of five full-range channels (front left and right, centre, and right and left surrounds) and a channel that just carries bass for use with a subwoofer (the .1 in 5.1). This .1 channel is called the Low Frequency Effects channel and adds a sense of realism and depth that makes everything from explosions to music more exciting. Dolby Digital is an all-digital format, which means it can only be found on digital formats like DVD and digital TV broadcasts. But most Dolby Digital receivers and decoders also include Dolby Pro Logic II decoding, so you can still enjoy your VCR tapes and TV shows in surround sound.

Dolby Pro Logic II

Five speakers are used to create the surround sound environment, and this system can create a very convincing surround effect from just about any two-channel source.

All Pro Logic II systems have two settings: one for music and one for movies. Put in your favorite CD and you'll be amazed at how natural the surround effect is. The voices are where they should be and yet the music envelops you completely. The Movie mode is designed to let you get results very much like a Digital 5.1 system from analog sources like videotapes and TV broadcasts.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 812
Thanks for your input there Gilles. Maybe you should put your reading glasses on. Let me iterate siva's original question:

i want to know the difference between dolby surround prologic II and dolby prologic II.

Personnally, I like the Lexicon/Harmon Kardon Logic 7® matrix system better than DPL II.

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 7
Hi John,
I apologize. I guess I read her message and understood something different.

Username: Kevin060780

Post Number: 1
Try playing a cd using dolby prologic 2 .It doesnt sound right at all.Bad blend.The sound kinda fades in and out at times like what you would here on a cheep tape deck.It's not my reciever I own a kenwood , jvc and sony and same sound qaulity.not bad but sound can be very un even.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 436
It is your receiver(s). I have used PL2 for CDs and find it more than adequate if you like multi-channel music. The sound is not "uneven", although, admittedly, I don't really know what you mean by that. Make sure your speakers Db matched, because that is the only explanation for multiple receivers producing the same effect, unless they are all cheap receivers. As to the quality of a receiver, I had a cheap Yammie and found PL2 to be unsatisfactory, but on my AVR 635, it really produces an excellent sound.

John, I use to be a huge fan of Logic7 too, but find it affected by lossy-compression more than PL2.

Username: Kevin060780

Post Number: 2
Pro logic 2 hmmm.I dont see what the big deal is to be honest.I have three different home theater recievers(one for each room of the house) and when I select pro logic 2 modes to play music cds all i get is terrible sound.The volume and overall blend is wrong it sounds uneven like listning to a cassette that has been left out in the rain.As mentioned I have tied different recievers and all 3 sytems do the same thing I wish I knew why.the DTS,dolby digital, and dsp modes work great whats the deal with pro logic 2??

Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 9
Hi Siva:

Please go to this Dolby Link and you will see Dolby define the differences between the two modes.....

http://www.dolby.com/professional/pro_audio_engineering/solutions_surround.html

Note that in one of the modes, (as shown in the diagram from Dolby) the rear speakers are in Mono mode. Hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us