Understanding Small vs Large

Bronze Member
Username: Viiofix

New Haven, Ct. New Haven

Post Number: 18
It is probably as simple as it's called but is there a benefit in setting the Center (small) as opposed to Large ?

What do most of you have your Center set at ?

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 682
Since most center channels start falling off around 100 Hz or even higher, it doesn't make much sense to send low fequencies to that speaker.

"Small"

Bronze Member
Username: Viiofix

New Haven, Ct. New Haven

Post Number: 19
Thank you but I'm not sure how to interpret your statement (sorry) are you saying Small is the way to go or are you saying " It doesn't make much sense to set my Center (Small)" ?

As Denzel Washington said, "Explain it to me as if I were a 5 year old" <-- Joking of course

Username: Mmastin

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 2
I think he was answering your second question. Meaning he has his set to small.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 849
Sorry Caro, I didn't notice you had come back with a question.

The "small" vs. "large" settings are a part of the bass management that surround receivers use to send the appropriate signal to each speaker. If everybody with home theater surround systems had true full range speakers all around---that is, five (or more in 6.1 or 7.1 systems) speakers capable of deep bass sound---there would be no need for crossover or small/large settings. There would be no need for subwoofers either. But since the commonly used small center and surround speakers cannot reproduce deep bass, then we program the receiver to send the bass signal for those channels to the main front speakers, or to a separate subwoofer.

In other words, it makes no sense to send a deep bass signal to a speaker incapable of reproducing that signal, so by setting the center to "small" we send the bass signal to a speaker that can reproduce it.

Yes, my center is set to "small", as should 90% or more of the people with surround systems.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1391
Large, and with three-screen JBL control 5's performing at the front, the sound is totally indispensable.

With my set-up, the fronts like I said are set to full spectrum sound, and thou there are technical restraints on any loudspeaker, the EQ's that I employ cut some of the extreme low frequencies, to prevent excursion, and the deep low end is sent to the JBL 4645 professional sub bass, where the lows from the mains, centre split-surrounds, and the Baby Boom channel are all mixed together via an audio mixer.

Confusing as it sounds, I've been running it this way for the past six-years with total success.

So the answer is, I don't use the THX crossover, well due to some errors in the final playback of the circuitry, I do however use the THX circuitry for the timber matching process, decorrelation etc, and the basic re-equalizer, as this just a bit more excitement to the movie.

Also may I add, it is paramount that the home cinema user, uses matching loudspeakers at the front, and if at all possible buy some active X-over units and EQ's and do it the (B-chain) configuration, your get more, more, more fun out of it.

Ashley

Bronze Member
Username: Ayeshaslover

Durham, Nc Usa

Post Number: 14
general rule: if the speakers woofer is less than 6" then it is small.

Silver Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 165
Yep, and people generally set a speaker to Small when it can't go down to 40Hz or lower.

Username: Matt_whitlock

Post Number: 8
Great discussion topic. To learn more about bass management for different types of setups, check out this article:

The 'Bassics' of Bass Management

Bronze Member
Username: Zorro

Post Number: 46
This is a fairly large speaker with dual 6-1/2" woofers.
How would you set it?
Thanks
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/csi5/

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1047
"fairly large speaker"

Not large enough for deep bass.
Set it to "small" assuming your main speakers are capable of deeper bass than this center speaker, or if you have a sub-woofer in the system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us