Help! Denon AVR-3300 noise, static, hiss

Username: Captn_hector

Post Number: 1
Hi, I've been having some rather odd intermittant problems with my AVR 3300. Everything works fine, EXCEPT maybe 1/3 of the time, the output sound will be accompanied by a rather loud (independent of output volume) hiss/noise/static. When it starts it sounds like... oh... a car revving at 15,000 rmp. But not THAT loud. Switching between output modes (Direct, Pro Logic, etc) helps, but the problem eventually comes back.

By spraying various components with Dust-Off, I've isolated the problem to the amplifier. For some reason, hitting the middle of 3 black tabs at the top of the vertical circuit board in this image with a blast of cold air solves the problem for maybe 10 seconds.

Now, with any luck that one little piece of electronics is the faulty part. Question is, what the hell is it? Is it some funky resistor? Why would it have 3 prongs? Can I buy it anywhere? Has anyone had this problem and solved it?

Thanks for the help!

-h

Post Number: 2
hmm so I believe I've solved the problem. That one part was in fact the culprit, but after fiddling around with the damn thing it turns out to be a bad sodder.

So I guess I don't need the help I was yelling for earlier, but anyway, compressed air seems like a good way to quickly diagnose a problem!

Post Number: 3
So I've been trying to pull the board out so I can resodder the connections, however I can't separate the board itself from its parent board without seriously damaging it. How does one go about removing boards of this type? I do this all the time for computers, but they're massive in comparison.

Thanks!

-h

Username: Alf

Harrisburg, PA

Post Number: 1
Below is a copy of an email I just sent to Denon describing something very similar. Let me know what you think.

Denon AVR-1804

About a year ago (almost to the day) while watching a movie in Dolby digital 5.1 surround all of a sudden the sound degraded, high pitched squeal, static, etc. Virtually unlistenable. I did the normal troubleshooting, check cable connections, swapped out dvd player, reset processor, changed cables, etc. nothing worked. I took it to the shop (still in warranty) they ran it for weeks without issue. It came back working well for a couple weeks, then crapped out again. Then magically healed itself. It is now a year later (to the day) and the identical problem has recurred.

Someone on www.hometheaterforum.com suggested heat may be a factor. The temperature in this room doesn't get above 80 during the day, but this happened at night when it was cooler. I didn't have a problem all winter. The unit is fairly well ventilated. In fact, I've had a fan blowing on it all day and it's still happening.
The problem only occurs with a digital signal. When I use the cheapo red/white cables to the V. Aux on the front of the unit with an analog signal, no problem.

Now the unit is out of warranty and I see that it's also discontinued. I like the product, but I need it to work consistently.
Is this a known issue? Can it be fixed? Humidity an issue? Please help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us