How to hook up Tivo and get better sound

Username: Docelboze

Post Number: 1
I recently got a TIVO and now I'm having a problem with my sound setup. Basically when I watch premiums (HBO etc) and they do Digital Sound I have to CRANK the reciever from the usual 50 up to 20 (0 is the highest on my reciever) or worse to hear at roughly the same volume.

Here's my components:
Scientific Atlanta 3200 Cable box (WOW cable)
Humax DT800 Tivo/DVD-RW
Yamaha HTS 5480(?) reciever.
Toshiba Rear Proj TV.

From "the world" to my cable box I use of course have RF/Coax cable.
From the Cable box to the TIVO I use Svid/L/R analog cable and the rf/coax.
From the TIVO to the Reciever I use Component Vid and L/R Audio and a Toslink Optical Out also.

If I am grokking things correctly the problem is When the Cable broadcasts in Digital I get damn quiet sound through the L/R audio. The reciever is strictly getting analog audio of course so that is prolly part of the trouble. Since I have the optical out from the TIVO shouldn't I be getting a Digital signal from there? Or am I just flat wrong on that?

The cable box has an Coax Digital Audio out but tivo doesn't have Optical IN. If I plug that into the reciever directly (how it was before the I got Tivo) I get video/sound out of sync (I think vid is behind, but I didn't pay that close of attention)...

So Suggestions on how to get optimal audio on this kind of a setup? Is this cabling, a problem with my Cable box or software config? Am I just screwed since TIVO has no digital audio IN?

Thoughts? Directions to look? Crude Remarks?
Thanks in advance!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us