XBOX - Please Help

Username: Morpheus2124

Post Number: 7
just bought the HD advanced pack and a 12 foot optical cable and hooked it up through my KOSS KS5190 surround sound system, through my HDTV ADVENT TV and the sound is incredible but it is almost a second delay from the sound coming out of the TV. I cant believe that the optical cord isnt putting the audio through faster. WHY is that?? Whats with the delay????

Anonymous

I'm not sure about the delay, but it is NOT the cable... The only thing that it could be is the TV because the xbox wont delay it either... Good luck

Raze
Unregistered guest
I ahve the same prob with the KS5190, but sending the digital cable coax into the unit.. sound is a second delayed... I think its a due to a slow decoder/processor in the Koss unit

Anonymous

i am taking this piece of S--t back. Tell your friends to never buy KOSS products. This damn thing has been boggling my mind for like 4 weeks now. Thanks you so much for responding to me. I consider myself pretty good at video/audio set-up and this thing made me question myself. I will never own KOSS again. Thanks Man.

Anonymous

RAVE, Take that system back and spend an extra $100 on a little better system. I got the samsung 600W for 249.99 at best buy. And that seems to work fine for the xbox. There is no more one second delay. Thanks again buddy.

Mr. ANTI-KOSS

Soren Kokholm
Unregistered guest
Well, I have the same system and there is no delay when Im playing my xbox(especially on live). It sounds extremely nice when you have it calibrated correctly, and if you use high quality interconnects and wires then it sounds reaally nice. If your sole purpose of owning a home theater system is for playing xbox games..then you do need to take it back. Otherwise, if your having that much trouble with it..then you seem to be having the problem. You cant possibly overlook its features to price ratio (DPL/DPLII/DD5.1/EX/DTS5.1/ES/TI Pure Path) thats a large amount more than alot of other systems. Try and find a 6.1 system that sounds better than this and has that many features especially TI Pure Path for $170. If you dont know what Pure Path is..look it up. I recommend if you still own one, or are going to get one buy a 8" or 10" powered subwoofer and hook it up via the active sub out on the reciever, and upgrade the speaker wire to 16 or 14 gauge. Then take the speaker grills off. Put in a AVIA calibration dvd, and follow it. Set your speaker delay/volume/distance accurately, and then enjoy. Its stereotypical comments like "because he stole from me, all his kind steal" that show just how much an individual understands something. If you hate KOSS products...good for you, but dont go around trying to spread hate because of your misfortune.

Anonymous

Whatever that was, i have no idea. Did not seem like one sentence was flowing together. Anyway, I have had friends buy this system and they have experienced the same thing i have. The sound was great, i had no problem with the sound in general. The movies worked fine but however the external devices didnt work right. There isnt even a delay setting for the sound on this system like others have. I even tried emailing KOSS and they told me that their products are not made for external devices like that, so i ask the question (WHY DOES THE SYSTEM HAVE INPUT AND OUTPUTS FOR VIDEO AND AUDIO THEN!!!) Any system should work for anything that has the capability to hook up with it. I went ahead and returned that piece of crap a second time and spent $100 more on a samsung system and the sound is perfect. You can plug xbox, play movies and that sound is right in sync. I hope i never have to experience a brand name that offers a surround sound system that is limited to only playing movies however every other brand allows video game set up.

Anonymous

HERE ARE SOME SIMILAR PROBLEMS POSTED ON THIS SITE. JUST ME HUH?? LOL

Home > Message Board > Home Theater > Home Theater Setup & Planning > Sound delay from cable box to surroun...

Logged in as morpheus2124.
> Check new messages
> Edit Profile
> Log in as different user
Topics | Posted Today Search Help

Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Forum Jump: Select Topic ----------- Home Audio -- Amps -- Cassette -- CD Players -- CD Recorders -- DACs / Transports -- DAT -- DVD-Audio & SACD -- Equalizers -- Integrated Amps -- MiniDisc Decks -- Mini Systems -- MP3 & Audio Servers -- Phono -- Preamps -- Receivers -- Speakers -- Subwoofers -- Tuners Home Video -- DVRs (TiVo) -- DSS/Satellite -- DVD Players -- DVD Recorders -- VCR -- TV Basics -- HDTV Reception -- HDTV Programming -- Direct View TVs -- Plasma/LCD Flat Panels -- Rear Projection TVs -- Projectors -- Screens -- Video Scalers Home Theater -- Setup & Planning -- Speaker Systems -- HTiB -- Surround Sound -- HTPCs -- Bragging Area Car Audio -- Accessories -- Amplifiers -- Disc Changers -- EQs & Crossovers -- Head Units -- Multimedia Systems -- Navigation Systems -- Radar Detectors -- Security Systems -- Speakers -- Subwoofers A/V Accessories -- Acoustic Treatments -- Antennas -- Cables -- Power Conditioners -- Remote Controls -- A/V Furniture Portable Electronics -- Cell Phones -- PDAs/Handhelds -- Headphones -- Portable CD -- Portable DVD -- Portable MP3 -- Portable MD -- Portable Stereos -- Portable TVs Computers -- Desktops -- Notebooks -- Media Center PCs -- Keyboard -- Memory -- Processors -- Mice/Trackballs -- Monitors -- Motherboards -- Networking -- PDAs -- Scanners -- Storage & Media -- PC Speakers -- Sound Cards -- Video Cards -- Cases & Cooling -- PC Accessories Photography -- Camcorders -- Digital Cameras -- 35mm Cameras -- SLR 35mm Cameras -- Medium Format -- Large Format -- APS Cameras -- Webcams -- Disposable Cameras -- Instant Cameras -- Lenses -- Photo Accessories Video Games -- Dreamcast -- Gameboy -- Gameboy Color -- Gameboy Advance -- Game Cube -- Nintendo 64 -- Playstation -- PS2 -- PSX -- Xbox Press Releases Submit Articles -- Submit Review Movies Music TV Shows Radio Suggestions? Announcements

Author Thread: Sound delay from cable box to surround sound

mike77
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 05:10 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a koss surround system and I have a comcast cable hd box. I used an optical wire from the box to the receiver and when I watch a tv program the sound has a delay out of the speakers (about 2 sec) I see the talking but the words are delayed. Any help would be great

Kevin J.
Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 05:26 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not surprised to hear that. Last year I bought a Koss KS4190 surround system with built-in DVD player for my bedroom because it had 6.1 DTS decoder and was the cheapest at Best Buy. The sound was OK when using the built-in DVD player but when I play the DVDs on an external player connected to the Koss via coaxial input, the audio was about 2 secs behind the video. First, I thought the problem was from the external DVD player. But after trying with 3 other players made by Sony, Panasonic and JVC, I still got the same problem. I also tried the optical input with no success. I then gave it away and bought another brand.

THERE IS BAD TALK ABOUT THIS BRAND ALL OVER THE INTERNET. JUST LOOK

Keith F. Koss
Unregistered guest
I had this thing for months before getting my whole entertainment system set up. Now that I finally got myself an optic cable (almost half the price of the koss system). My ps2, xbox and comcast hd dvr cable sound delayed unless I use the regular red and white connections and then they sound on time but extremely quiet (and only in stereo). I think it's too late to bring this piece of junk back. This can't be legal for them to be selling this thing as a hometheater system, it says it has the inputs but it doesn't say they really work, so I guess that's ok? I didn't realize I was scammed until I got this optic wire months later. What can I do now? Soren Kokholm since you like these so much you want to buy mine?

Aaron S Miller
Unregistered guest
If you are using the digital connection on the PS2/Xbox then obviously you want Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. IE Left Front, Right Front, Center, Left Rear, Right Rear and the LFE channle.

If you are using that set up, then turn the volume on the TV all the way down. The center channle speaker takes the place of the television speakers. In fact on a Dolby Digital soundtrack, the center channel is one of the most used speakers.

As far as why you have the delay.. Only thing I can think of would be this.

The optical cable is a much faster connection then the composite connections you have hooked up to the TV. Like comparing a garden hose to a fire hose in the ammount of bandwith. Sure there may only be mili second delays, but it is audibly noticable.

So, to recap.. If you play the PS2/Xbox through your digital reciever using a digital connection, turn down the volume on the TV and it will take care of the delay problem.

Anonymous

NO IT WON'T. Koss sucks. The system is so bad. There is no way you can even fix the delay. Take the junk back. The sound is so far off, that it isn't even worth having. Koss told me that they don't promote use of external devices to their systems - Basically saying "Our systems arent as good as others so dont try anything fancy with our system". Take the system out with garbage day and take the loss and spend alittle more money on another system.

MR. ANTI-KOSS

Aaron S. Miller
Unregistered guest
Well, as I said there will be a delay.. Let me put it this way.. I have a $1000.00 stereo, $2500.00 speakers, $2000.00 DVD player.. And a RP-HDTV.. I STILL GET DELAY WHEN USING BOTH STEREO AND TV... This is not due to the cheapness of the equipment.. This is just the nature of using a 5.1 system.. If you are really bent on using the TV volume, then unplug your center channel, and again that delay will be gone.

Anonymous

You are not understanding. WE ALL UNDERSTAND ABOUT THE DELAY FROM TV VOLUME TO RECIEVER VOLUME. WE GET IT. Thats basic. When you try this KOSS system you will understand. The delay is off for external systems. FOR EXAMPLE. When the TV shows a person saying the words "This System SUCKS", you will not hear it out of the reciever until 2 seconds later. (so basically you just see lips moving out of sync with the sound) It is off to the point where it isnt even pleasurable to watch movies. The sound is so delayed that you cant do anything. Now, i did buy another system and now the sound works fine with external devices. I already knew that the sound for the TV does not Come in sync with the reciever. That basic info that we did not need to hear. The koss system has a slow decoder in it that will not operate with external devices well. Thats the issue.

MR. ANTI-KOSS

Aaron S. Miller
Unregistered guest
Mr. Anti-Koss, I understand what you are saying now.. From what was said before it was not very clear. My appologies..

Anonymous

No need to apologize, just a misunderstanding. Please pass on the word about KOSS products in general though even though it sounds like you would not buy something like this anyway. For the young-ones, it seems like a steal but "LESSON LEARNED". KOSS SUCKS.

MR. ANTI-KOSS

Aaron S. Miller
Unregistered guest
Actually it's a shame.. Koss used to be a real great company.. They used to make some kick butt headphone.. Like 20 years ago or so.. <grin>....

Christine
Unregistered guest
I was given Koss 6.1 system for my 16 birthday and I mostly used it for listening to music from my computer going coax. It had a delay but for music it really doesn't matter. I never turn my computer or koss off. It was playing music 24/7. One day when I was at school the koss blow up! It blinded my cat and fried my computer. I lost like 30gb of music and I was forced to put my cat to sleep.

One of these days I'm going to revenge my cat's death and take down the corporate giant.

Christine

Bronze Member
Username: Sr_immortal

Post Number: 16
I dont know whether to laugh or cry about that^^^^ post!

MR. Sillyhead
Unregistered guest
I know I laughed like a whorish fiend.

swert
Unregistered guest
OMFG. I own the system as well. I noticed I was lacking in the "high freq." .

See the picture of the system at the KOSS site. Those are supposively tweeters.
http://koss-av.com/images/Video%20Products/web_KS4190.jpg

Seeing that the limited warrenty was through, I took the privilege
and opened the satilite speakers and the centers to see whats going on.

I saw what had seemed to be tweeters, to carry out high frequencies in the audio. But what it turned out is just a plastic metallic object "mock up" "decoy" , that wasn't connected to anything. To make it seem that there's something there (a tweeter), but actually to fool the buyer's eyes, like mine (catch my drift?).

What was KOSS thinking when making this product? Hope that it didn't become a habit to other products KOSS brought out. Suprised that no one has filed something against such companies, or the others that take that route, as of yet.

That was a part of my E-mail that I mailed to the koss guys.

Thats just lying to the public. Hope someone sews the crap out of them ^_^.

DR.Wood
Unregistered guest
I was looking into a cheaper alternative for a computer 5.1 setup. Good thing I came across these posts first! I make movies on computer and need a Low Latency (no Delay) system to time with the video. Looks Like I will have to get those powered Altecs after all. The Koss looked good (and Cheap) and had tweeters, so I thought. I have seem the fakey tweeters before and ripped them out and put in JBLs. The prossessor sounds like it sucks. So much for the speed of light. I had Koss headphones and put a full 150 watts RMS with "the Who" through them and they handled it, may have been resistered phone jack, but they rocked, in 84'.
About Christines Cat, how did it get blinded, Did it "Go" on the reciever? Why leave it on when not at home?

DR.Wood
Unregistered guest
I was looking into a cheaper alternative for a computer 5.1 setup. Good thing I came across these posts first! I make movies on computer and need a Low Latency (no Delay) system to time with the video. Looks Like I will have to get those powered Altecs after all. The Koss looked good (and Cheap) and had tweeters, so I thought. I have seem the fakey tweeters before and ripped them out and put in JBLs. The prossessor sounds like it sucks. So much for the speed of light. I had Koss headphones and put a full 150 watts RMS with "the Who" through them and they handled it, may have been resistered phone jack, but they rocked, in 84'.
About Christines Cat, how did it get blinded, Did it "Go" on the reciever? Why leave it on when not at home?
One more note: Tivos also delay a second.But if you hook your sound RCAs to tivo its in sync with video. If you bypass Tivo PVRs for X Box video but still have sound going through Tivo, you will have a second delay on sound.FYI

Croc
Unregistered guest
I have the Koss 5192 and I have it hooked to my puter with a digital coaxial cable and there is no delay that way, however the thing shuts down the sound when not in use and takes a second to start back up. So if my computer is making sound itll keep running but it wont make any sound at all for the first second or so of the sound.
Also its not a 6.1 system really since the back speaker never comes on no matter what you do.

Unregistered guest
hmmm.... just how much is this KOSS thing? I have a Yamaha AV Receiver which really kicks butt and I got it for around $300.

The back speaker will not produce any sound until it has a source that outputs a 6.1 signal. Most DVDs and PC sound cards only output 5.1. Yamaha has a built in DSP that converts 5.1 signal to enhanced 6.1.

Username: Kirby001

Post Number: 2
exact same problem with mine, just bought the koss 5192 6.1 system, hooked it up with a optical cable, at first sound comes out fine, but then it starts delaying, so i am going to pack it up and look at a new one, anyone got any suggestions on another one thats a good price

Username: Jovan

Post Number: 1
DO NOT BUY THIS SYSTEM.

I bought a KOSS KS5190 last March 2005. A year later the system stop sending power to my speakers. Therefore I have not sound.

Pros:
- The system sounded good with the center channel down and the bass way up.
- The DVD player still works
- Converts 5.1 to 6.1

Cons:
- The Ad at best buy said it was a 1000watts system. It's really 600watts.
- Has a huge delay with digital inputs and minimal delay with analog inputs.
- System stop sending power to my speakers after a year. NO MORE SOUND!
- Speakers are really 1 way speakers and not 2 way speakers

Username: Nwichert

Post Number: 1
FYI-
Koss Stereophones and Koss Electronics are 2 separate companies. Koss Stereophones manufactures headphones and accessories. Koss Electronics (or Koss AV) manufactures DVD players, Home Theater systems, Car Audio Etc.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us