Another hooking up my PC to HDTV post

Username: Voodoome

United Kingdom

Post Number: 1
Hey everyone,

Very new to all of this so please excuse my total ignorance.

I just bought a Samsung PS42S5H 42" HD ready plasma and a Samsung HD-850.

I have tried hooking up my PC to the plasma with the standard vga connector and this works fine.

However I want to connect using DVI-HDMI and have the appropriate connectors. However, when I try to do this I get a very fuzzy display, not blurry, the pixels just seem very jagged in appearance.

As I'm in the UK, the only way to play HD content is through a pc so I assumed DVI-HDMI was the only way to go.

Now the Samsung native resolution is supposed to be 1024 X 768 but my Radeon X800 xl reads it as 1980 x 1440, which is obviously not correct, but when I try to change it to 1024x768 it doesn't fill the whole screen.

Could somebody please explain to me what I'm doing wrong and how I could possibly fix this.

Again, sorry for the lack of knowledge on the subject.

Username: Krusto

MO USA

well I just went through simular problems.
1st I want to say that there is more way's I'm sure to do this, but I found that you have to compromise on your settings to fill screen. Aspect to ratios..
What I had to do with mine was drop my x800 to 800x600 and then go to my tv remote and do a auto screen configuration and after that it set my screen centered on the 62" that I have.
Yes I can get mine to do full screen but when I try to run a game or other software I fing that it does NOT show the whole screen like it should.
So you may find that you have to sacrifice in areas to get the best results. Also check your video HZ that you are running to Plasma Specs, DON"T run your video refresh rate to high match it for you plasma to insure you won't ruin you screen. Also on mine I change my video format I think to 720 zoom and my pc looks great.
So if you run a game or program you might try to use your plasma's autoconfig on the vidoe to get it to sorta calibrate for the program if its off a bit.
Hope it helps .. Post me back if needed..

Username: Voodoome

United Kingdom

Post Number: 2
I'll try this over the weekend and see what happens.

Thanks for the help

Unregistered guest
i have a Sanyo 42" EDTV and hooked it to my pc using a vga converter with HD inputs to the tv, the picture is great, however i cant read a damn thing,ie..( icon labels on desktop ) i am new to all this AV stuff and am scheduled for a visit by the computer place i bought the puter from @ $50 an hr. If someone can help me with this, i'd appreciate it and save me the further expense.

Username: Krusto

MO USA

Post Number: 2
Well I am not familiar with that EDTV, but in your manual it may tell you some specs that can let you know what kint of format you should have it in.
Most say PC monitors do 800x600 or 1024x768 you may have to try these type of formats if it supports them. Also the Converter sounds like you are going form TV to PC instead of the other way around.
Fortunatly I have got a variety of formats and option, and YES it is confusing for me as well. I have thing on there I never even use.
They now have far better features on the models I have and they are even 73" screens. 62" is nice but i tell ya it seems like Wal-Marts 52" I look at are a Joke. well anyways I know it is expensive on service calls and sometimes they tell ya you can't do that etc. I was Lucky with my retailer on delivery and setup 300.00 for 3 hours and 2 people. All I had to do is tell them where what goes and roll the carpet up to run the speaker Cables. hope to add a set of Klipsch ref-35 tri's and move my ref 25's to the back. but for now it is plenty of clean sound all around.
Post me I hope it goes well.

Username: Larryinmich

Grand rapids, Mi U S of A

See my profile. I run a high $ cable about 35 ft from computer to 42 gateway plasma tv. Use an A B switch to change from my comp mon signal A and send it down to plasma B. No config hassle, no pain, great pic. Output cable is same as monitor cable but specially configured for length and to avoid signal loss. Cost about $75 US.
To use it with the plasma, I ran it thru the 15 pin RGB input on back of the plasma. I then switch from TV to RGB input via the TV's remote.
The icing on the cake is using an RF NOT IR system for my keyless mouse and keyboard. It has a 30 ft range and passes thru walls. SO I can sit downstairs at the gateway, set my screen at a 4:3 ratio, and surf the web on a 42" TV. Try that with your setup. The mouse also has what I call a 4d aspect, in that it can be programmed to react to gestures, like moving it in a circle in the air!!!!! Believe it is a Belkin, as is my AB switch. Hope you have all working by now....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us