6600GT to Toshiba CRT HDTV via DVI-HDMI Cable, pitcure is grainy

Username: Jcasteel

Post Number: 1
So that's my basic problem. I'm running XP pro, not MCE. I just picked up a nice DVI-HDMI cable, as the toshiba only offers HDMI. I'm not really looking to make this into a full on HTPC. I just want to use the PC as a dvd player and from what little info I could find, figured it should be a pretty high quality one at that. But so far it's lacking. I've downloaded the NVidia codec, tried media player and a few others, tweaked driver settings. But even still, things just don't look as good as I'd expect. The picture quality is definitely not as sharp and crisp in movies as the CRT monitor that's connected to the other port on the 6600.

Anyone know what I might be doing wrong or am I just expecting more than this setup is going to deliver?

Bronze Member
Username: Arrow224

Post Number: 24
The problem lies it the type of TV you have. A CRT. Any pictures you put onto a crt from a computer will always be grainy. This is because of the resolution of the tv. Try turning the res down to 800x600 or 640x480 on the video card. The windows desktop should be grainy, but dvd's should be fine.

TV's also have a different architecture to CRT moniters. That is why moniters are so much clearer than TV's when it comes to computer displays.

pechi
Unregistered guest
Jason, any new results with your 6600 gt to your Toshiba. I am actually thinking of doing the same thing with my 6600 GT. DO you have the latest Nvidia driver 71.89?

Anonymous

Hello ppl

crt's are still better than lcd/dlp/lcos as far as color reproduction and clarity is concerned...i m not sure where a gets his info...but the the 6600gt is a great card and has the hardware for dvd..you need to use theatertek to get a good picture..plus the reolution input of your htpc must match the native resolution of your tv...

without theatertek, it is pointless...and make sure you are runing the open mode

go on over to avs forum and get the scoop by searhing for the 6600/theatertek ...

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us