Onkyo SKS-HT200's (speakers bundled w/ ht-s760) VS. Fluance AV-HTB

Seth
Hi all. I recently purchased the HT-S760, and have been fairly satisfied with its performance so far. I have a pretty decent ear (classically trained violinist) but have only my Klipsch promedia 4.1 system for direct audio comparisons (I really like the Klipschs.) The Onkyo system sounds great with DVDs in everything except human voice, which is an important part of movies. Voices sound somewhat muted, distant, and lack presence. On vocal music, this problem is even more pronounced. The system also lacks the general clarity of my Klipsch speakers, but the vocals are the most glaring problem.

First, has anyone else with this system noticed this problem?

Second, if I move to the Fluance AV-HTB, can I expect a dramatic improvement in audio performance (i.e. if you've heard both, can you say the Fluance system is a lot nicer?)

Thanks in advance for your help, and any words of wisdom to this audio neophyte.

dean-l
Unregistered guest
Yes you are right about voices. But I think it is more about the center channel than "voices".
If you look inside the rear portals you'll notice some "insulation" behind the tweeters on the front speakers but not on the center. High end sound is better on the main speakers. Remember, as much sound comes out the back as the front(theoretically) because of the (relatively) cheap design of the enclosures I have a theory.

I'm planning on adding insulation to the sub to help with the occasional "bomminess" I believe the "direct" rear sound out the tweeters due to lack of that little bit of insulation creates a "hollow" effect in the enclosure. So I'm going to try to add some if I can reach it. Otherwise I'm just going to stuff some in to absorb some rear reflections.(not worried about loosing base anyway) Also change your sub setting (on rec) to 100hz and sub mode 1 to take pressure off the other speakers. They don't handle that low bass well at all.

You're Klipsh should sound better. If you were TRULY wooried about sound you bought the wrong speakers. But they are amogst the best in the below $1500 or so HTS's.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us