Hooking DVD directly to 5.1

Username: Chewwong

Curitiba, Parana Brazil

Post Number: 2
Can someone tell me how to hook up a dvd player to Creative Inspire 5.1 speakers? The DVD has 2 audio RCA output (left and right channels), but the Inspire 5.1 has 3 sets of channels ( front, rear, subwoofer and middle). I don't intend to buy a receiver since the sub-woofer speaker has internal amplifier for all the 6 speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 497
use the mini-phone line in on the Creative Inspire. You will need an adaptor from mini phone to RCA or coaxial jacks.

Curitiba, Parana Brazil

Post Number: 3
Thank you very much Berny. Indeed I had connected the VCR to the 5.1 Subwoofer through an adapter. But my problem is that I only get the front speakers and the subwoofer working. How can I get the rear speakers working too? The DVD has only one pair of RCA output for L & R channels. It also has a coaxial digital output. Is it possible to connect the coaxial digital output to the speakers so that I have all the speakers working.

Thanks again.

Chew

Silver Member

Post Number: 501
unless you have a VCR that is capable of decoding Dolby Digital or DTS, you can only use the L/R output of the VCR, and it will not put out a signal to drive the rear speakers. You need pro logic to get that effect out of the VCR. The DVD player however, to get all the speakers working, you have to connect it to the speakers using the mini phone to coaxial adapter.

Curitiba, Parana Brazil

Post Number: 4
Do you mean I have to make a split in the RCA outputs so that I can connect to all the inputs ?

Thanks again.

Chew

Silver Member

Post Number: 506
you can do that on the VCR but use the digital output of the DVD player.

Curitiba, Parana Brazil

Post Number: 5
Thanks.

This may be my last question. Is there an adapter that converts the stereo out (from the digital or the RCA) from the VCR to become dolby ac-3?

Chew

Silver Member

Post Number: 507
I haven't encountered VCR tapes that is digitally encoded with 5.1 or ac-3. Same with the VCR machines.

Curitiba, Parana Brazil

Post Number: 6
I am terribly sorry, all the while I was mentioning VCR, that is actually DVD. Can you please clarify my doubt about the adapter?

Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 509
okay, here we go...
you need to check your mini-phone adapter. It is not a stereo plug, if it has three divisions you have the wrong plug. You need a plug that looks like it is mono, much like a microphone jack. A digital signal is sent through 2 carrier paths not three like a stereo.
The digital output jack of your DVD player comes out of only one jack, usually orange in color, ignore the others or you will confuse yourself even more, as you did me.
Check your DVD player and look at the output during the set-up phase. Audio should be set to digital output and/or DTS if the option is available, not stereo or PCM. What DVD player are you using anyway?
Don't bother with the L and R jacks, you don't need it, don't even plug into it. Do not in anyway split any of the RCA outputs.

Let us simplify this:
DVD digtal output (use digital coaxial to miniphone adapter)connect to Creative Inspire 5.1 using the digital mini-phone input. That is the only connection you need.

DVD player - go to audio set-up - go to output or signal out(whatever your display says) - select dolby digital and DTS. Turn off stereo/analog output.

Done! ( I hope-)

Which begs the question, where are your instruction manuals??? Do you even bother reading them? They really are there for a reason you know...they are not packing materials.

Curitiba, Parana Brazil

Post Number: 7
Of course I read the manuals, but there are of no help in this situation.

The Speakers system was initially used together with my S.B. Live 5.1 sound card in my computer. On the sub-woofer, there are only 3 inputs, the front, rear and centre/subwoofer. I believe there may be other models that permit direct digital input and if that was the case, I would had connected straight away. maybe I will have to invest some more money to buy a decoder to improve the sound.

Anyway, it was my very nice of you giving all the information.

Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 515
I did some research on your creative inspire 5.1. And from the specs, it indicates that it has 1 miniphone digital input. Unless I'm looking at the wrong set! The decoder you are talking about would have to be a receiver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 516
oops, let me take that back...
here is a website, courtesy of one of our members, landroval...
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=136&product=9 468
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us