Need 5.1 Sound on 2.1 Budget...Help!!

Username: Zach

Post Number: 3
OK, I know I can't get true 5.1 sound out of a 2.1 system; however, I'm looking for something that still sounds good.

Here are my requirements:
- 2.1 speaker system (2 main speakers and a subwoofer)
- Good receiver that can "emulate" 5.1 sound with 2.1 speaker system
- $750 total budget

Is this do-able? Any system recommendations that anyone could recommend would be most appreciated.

I read somewhere that someone recommended a Yamaha HTR-5830SL 5.1 receiver and the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 speaker system (which is essentially for computers, but some folks apparently use them in a low-end home theater system). Sounds like it might be a good system, but wanted to run it by some of the resident experts here first!

Bronze Member
Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 85
"Emulating" 5.1 is BS, there really is no such thing. A good stereo 2.1 will give you good performance and you can add the 3 speakers later. I'd go w/ something like an Onkyo 502 or 503 plus an Orb Audio Classic Two or Classic One. The online speakers companies are going to give you the best value in the price range by far. It will be a million times better than Klipsch computer speakers.

Username: Zach

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the advice Monologue. I'd really like to hear those Orb speakers as I've only read good reviews about them.

As far as the Onkyo 502 or 503 is concerned, would you say it they are as good as the Onkyo TX-LR552 model? My wife likes the slimness of the receiver (as with everything...the less noticeable the better for her!).

Bronze Member
Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 87
I'm not that familiar w/ the differences between those two models...I think at this point most of the models that are about the same price are about the same quality, and it's good enough to get more than decent sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us