Is DIVINCI a SCAM?

Username: Loncka23

Post Number: 2
I just got sold speakers out of an Escalade for little of nothing thinking I got a good deal. However, after setting them up I have a feeling I was mistaken. Is there any way to get 5.1 surround out of these speakers. PLEASE HELP

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11166
Only if your source is 5.1. Where are the manuals?

Either way, they are not good at all.
Clue #1 - "Sold out of the back of (insert vehicle here)"

Silver Member
Username: Basicaudio

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 113
divinci is another theater research, or digital research or dogg digital type of scam advertising or marketing. the companies might be legal, but not their acclaimed distortion of their products.
they put not only false pricing, but false specifications on all of their products.

yeah right, a 400/watt per channel at 8 ohm divinci receiver for under $300...
Not even the $7000 denon or $5000 sunfire receiver puts out that amount of rms per channel.
At least harmon kardon is accurate with their information, even though they don't make high powered receivers, a 90 watt per channel harmon kardon is an accurate reading like those made by any other high end gear such as sunfire at 200 watts per channel or denon or sony at 170 watts per channel.

If you look at the back of the divinci receivers, you see how cheaply made it is and how very little
input and output terminals it has. I don't even see toslink/optical, S VIDEO, COMPONENT, SVI AND HDMI inputs...what a JOKE!
These morons sell them for $300, you can get a decent pioneer, yamaha, kenwood, panasonic, jvc, sony for that price with far better capabilities and specs.

RCA AND PHILLIPS make better and less expensive home theater receivers.

divinci is a generic brand that is a SCAM in it's advertisement by both the manufacturer and those selling it, unless they sell it AT A FAIR INEXPENSIVE PRICE! It's pricing should be a the level of memorex, ge, durabrand, jensen and the like!

Username: G35coupe

yes its a Scam.. i personally came across this scame and yes it was out the back of a grey Honda Oddyssey van..

-it'll say $3000 msrp on the side of the box
-they'll show u a magazine with an ad placed in it, and tell u its "reviewed by famous magazines"

dont buy crap you've never heard of, no matter how convincing they sound

Username: Nebo00

Post Number: 1
I just found out that a friend of mine is going to start selling this crap to people all over quebec and ontario. He said that cost of goods sold of DiVinci speakers is less than 70$. I got f.cking scammed 3 months ago and bought this sh.t for 400$. I wish I crack some heads of these scammers one day.
Montreal

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 731
"...kenwood, panasonic, jvc, sony for that price with far better capabilities and specs..."

those particular receiver brands are nothing special in the least, and calling sony high end is laughable.

Username: Guy16

I was scammed by a guy in Washington in a Green ford mini van and he wanted 750 for a pair of two he kept saying he needed to be somewhere but he kept talking i bought one for 160 and took it home. I'm so pissed I'm going back to find him for my money back. He also wanted me to go to the bank and draw some money. I was actually getting pissed about it and then my buddy said lets just do it and well i did. :-( bad idea. Plain and simple don't buy speakers from anyone or store you don't know!!

Username: Rickcain

Its never a good idea to buy anything out of the back of a van unless its drugs.
Its amazing the scam still works but I guess America is the land of the scam, heck people pay $4.00 for a cup of coffee at Starbucks and don't seem to flinch one bit.

Username: Skinman20

Wiinder, Ga Us

just got me for 200s out of a denalli in georgia

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14253
"unless its drugs. "

LOL...That's funny!

Username: Speakerdeal

im a speaker guy and i still pay way too much for coffeee.

Username: Speakerdeal

yes i sell those speakers too>>>>>

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2067
­
My drug dealer drives this truck....
­
Upload
­

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14428
^^^

Username: Shidoshi

Corona, Ca

This is probably the worst SCAM out there. I too have been targeted. However, not knowing it was a scam, the guy was pretty nice, in a work (construction) truck w/all the tools, pulled up while I was getting gas. I took a look at what he wanted to sell, sadly, only because I was already thinking about getting a new system. I talked him down to $100. Thought I was getting a DEAL! I knew better even then. Got home, opened the box and bam! no remote. Which makes the unit worthless. The D-7 DiVinci. I don't even get to hear how crappy it is. SAD. Anyhow...tell everyone you know. Don't feel bad about getting scammed. Tell your mother, girlfriend, wife, friends, tell them to call the cops if you get hit up like this. This has to be illegal. I felt bad thinking this guy 'stole' it from where he was doing construction. I even thought about going back to ask if he knew where I could get some good "E" (xtc - ahem!) thinking he must be a druggy or a dealer! How funny when I read these reviews. Oh well...it's just $100. And now I'm wiser...

Funny...after his sad story about he got 'paid' with these systems and just wanted to get rid of them before he got home or back to work or wherever he was heading off to, I told him he should E-bay these instead of selling them so cheap. Now I know why he kept refusing and changed the subject quickly. Oh, he was begging me "Whatever you have, I need to sell it!" blah blah. If there are any Law Enforcement people reading this...can you try to do something useful for a change and take these scammers for a ride? to jail? thanks.

Lastly, and the funniest part of all, as I walked back to my car, he asked if I wanted to get a beer!!!! OMG!!! good thing I didn't get too close to him...he might have stuck me with GHB or something!!!

done.

Username: Cruisers390

Fort Worth, Texas

So now that we all have some "cheap" white van speakers has anyone tested them to see just what they can be used for? Kid's gameing TV sound(X-Box) or if I can get say one the higher end Tuner/ Receivers that will accept th Di Vinci plug ins has anyone tried them for some feedback?

Username: Lancelot908

They were screwing people on Linden mall in NJ yesterday,I became a victim of their work. silver nissan armada probably, story goes: we are delivering these products the order was 4 pieces, in stockyard they loaded 5, we have one extra but if we go back they will just take it back; they had t-shirts of their company, showed you doctor hand written invoice order, advertisement in a GEAR magazine. -looked to me bunch of guyz need extra money for beer. - yeah it cost me $700 -is there a way to track cell phone number for free? - their number is 551-486-5779 someone catch those thieves!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15375
$700??? Wow, they got you good!

Wasn't it very convenient that they happen to have a magazine with them at the time they were trying to convince you the apparent high end quality of their product?

They appealed to your GREED. At the time, you weren't thinking about the people they were screwing over for the "great deal" you were getting weren't you?

As long as it does not affect you in a negative way you were fine with it. And now that you found out you were played for a sucker, you call them thieves. You are a classic description of a hypocrite!

Username: Pebblie

wow i wish i looked at this sooner
i just got the d7 out of a blk truck...andd i bought it for 360. ughh this sux...i kneww i shouldve just went straight to school. i dont think its missing any parts. i have the remote and everything...the only thing i didnt see ws the direct link cable for the ipod/mp3...

I guess I g0t played too. but it was pretty...and that dumb 3299 msrp is what got me...

and funny is that the guy said i owe him a beer if we ever see eachtoher again.

Ha! if i see him again Im gonna have people with me and get my money back!

Username: Manthissucks

i got scammed out of $250 today. i feel so bad. no remote. boooooo. why am i so greedy.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 16393
I've been approached by the white van guys before. Thankfully I never handed over money.

And I was 18 at the time. All they said they wanted was some tiddy bar money. I told them I had no cash on me. "No problem, we'll follow you to your atm".

I was outta there!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15859
LOL!

Username: Pebblie

haha...
i cant complain too much...mines works ok.
lol cuz unlike most of you guys...i got the remotee
w0o0o0ott

Username: Gmacri90

haha yeah well i got scammed or maybe they got scammed the other day. i got sold a pair (retail 2gs) for 100 bucks at the palisades mall in west nyack ny. they sold it to me out of a green chevy astro. 2 guys. same story as everyone else. they had to go and there boss is going to take them away if they bring them back. magazine and all.. well it wasnt to bad im trying to sell them for 500 bucks =]

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 175
Making you 5 times worse than the guys in the van Gian Macri!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15880
He' just trying to sound tough to cover up for the stupidity he already did.

Username: Money_man

Stacy, MN USA

From what I see, The to guys in a white van (same story over and over) got scammed instead of me. I have been reading about this for a while now. These guys were real idiots.
I am retired with physical logical disorders. I live in a small town in up north Minnesota with about 500 friends whom possess the same quality.
First they pulled my neighbor over as I was going by. 30 seconds later he called me, 45 seconds later they pulled me over.
They new my name so I played along.
Said they just sold him a set for $600.00
I was able to convince them to take a check for $500.00 after they followed me to a closed bank,I mean no longer a bank.
I have been waiting for this day to come.
I will release the outcome if they are dumb enough to come back for there cash.

Username: Nogreed

to all these people I will say that its your own greed which took you there as you bought this believing you are getting it way cheaper. I met these guys yesterday at Airport Rd in Wendy's parking in Mississauga. Same old story that the warehouse loaded 4 instead of 3. I just told him that i am not comfortable in buying anything off a van as it might be stolen property. He tried his best to convince me that its a great deal but I did not listen and today after reading this all I think I made the right choice. so beware, these guys are here in GTA also

Username: Divinci

They got us too. If you have a sighting in GA I would love to tag team a sting op to get them back. Live n learn I know but come on ppl. We're in a recession It was going to me a Christmas gift for our Dad. We all went without last year, and this was exactly what he wanted. 250 burned. ;(

Username: Btizle

I am so pissed and embarrassed. I thought about driving around with a bat and a gun until I found them... The sad thing was my gut told me not to do it... They got me outside of a grocery store. If I ever see one of them again, I guess I will try to fight them or something. They got me for 200 dollars... SO DUMB! Anyways... This was in Charlotte, NC... Same old crappy story to. Yea the magazine... They were driving a Hummer which made me think they had money.

Username: Verezy

Niagara Falls, Ontario Cananda

I bought a skid of dvd players, speakers, etc at a liquidation auction and found a Divince D-505 system in the bottom of the skid. Thought I struck it rich. I called Divinci in California and ordered a remote. But the damn thing, the volume always shoots up to 70db upon turning it on, and you can;t stop it till it reaches 70. Does anyone know where I can find a proper manual for this system. And by the way, My system sounds sweet! And I only paid 175.00 for the whole skid.

Username: Borkru

DiVinci is a total scam. These two guys (one caucasian and a latino) try to sell me one. I called a friend to have check the brand and model online. The white guy got upset and jumped back into his car, but the latino came to me and told me he would take anything... I thought the "home theater" was stolen so I backed off. I called the police and provided the description of the car (black Cherokee) the description of the scamers and of course the Florida license plate number...Just in case these guys try to scam somebody else in Boca Raton...

Username: Grungy44

I'm in Quebec, and same story here: two guys in a white van saying they are bringing speakers systems to their boss, but for some unknown reasons, there have too many of them in the van. So they are trying to sell the extra ones before their boss notices.

I have no extra money nor extra room in my appartment for a 5.1 system so I passed. But my friend bought one for about $350... Anyways, we wired the speakers to his amplifier (a very good one) and at least they work correctly. I guess they'll give him a couple of years before blowing up. So it's not THAT bad...

But one thing is sure: DiVinci systems aren't worth near $500. Oh yeah, the guy also offered to have a beer with us next time we meet. I guess we'll never meet him again after reading all your posts.

Username: Dgrayzanic

Well, here's the real deal: DiVinci IS a legitimate company. Buying them out of a van is NOT the only way to purchase their products. Actually, DiVinci does NOT allow their products to be sold that way. If you could find out the name of the "parent company" that is selling them out of vans under false context, Divinci would probably revoke their contract. The dealers are supposed to have a retail storefront in order to become a dealer.

Yes, their "suggested retail prices" are absurd. I have no idea why they do that. That aside, nobody is paying anywhere near those prices, so who cares? Their stuff actually sounds very good (for the price). Most of the actual drivers themselves are made by Eminence, and are of very good quality. Cabinet construction is not the best, but the finish is nice, and if you don't beat them up too bad they should last a long time. The electronics (such as crossovers) are of better quality than you might expect, but the internal speaker wiring is inadequate in my opinion. I have been pleasantly surprised with the quality of their receivers as well. They are plenty powerful, although I'm sure that their specifications are far higher than their actual capabilities. They could definitely use more inputs, but they are really designed to be "all-in-one" kind of systems anyway. I just don't really think that they are meant to compete with high-end component systems.

Bottom line is: The DiVinci products are actually a very good deal for the price. If you get scammed for a high dollar amount, then I apologize. But, if you get it for a fair price (which shouldn't be too difficult) then you should be pleased. Replace the internal speaker wiring with something more appropriate (thicker gauge), and you have a very decent system for very little money. The cost on any DiVinci product for the dealers is under $250 for any given system, and many are closer to $170 or even less than that. If you get it for under $300, I'd say that you'd have a very hard time finding more features for a comparable price. Anyone who says that DiVinci systems sound terrible is just not making a fair comparison. I truly think that most of their products sound very good. There are a few exceptions, but I'm not going to get into the specifics right now. If you want to know which ones are worth buying, ask me in this forum, and I will post my opinions of each system. But really, most of their stuff sounds far better than this forum is giving credit for! Most of the posts in here haven't even set up the system before they began complaining about it! Please, go assemble and set up your systems! I think you will change your tune very quickly when you realize what you have and how much you paid for it.

Yes, I am a DiVinci dealer. No, I don't have any vans, cars, or trucks used in the sale of their products. We sell them ONLY in our stores at a very fair price. I do have 3 of their systems in my home, and I am very happy with them. I have been very pleased with my dealings with the company itself. They are very pleasant, and very easy to reach. If you would like to ask them anything about a certain product, their number is:
909-923-4518.

I didn't even realize what kind of a reputation DiVinci was getting until a customer told me that people were selling them out of vans "stolen", and that it was a scam. I did a google search and found this forum. I just wanted to set the record straight... I hope this helps someone!

Username: Cfcam11

eh WHY ME?!! i got screwed.. but its not as bad as some of u others. i paid $160, at the moment im feeling retarded and embarrassed. I was smart enough to get their license plate number but i really don't know what good that would do.. i gave them the money, it's not like they stole it from me(even though it really feels like it). ahhh i want my $160 back! that was hard earned money.

i wonder if it would be right to sell it.. i dont know the real retail price of a divince 6.1 surround sound but if it works ill sell it for around $100-160. anyone looking for a new set of speakers??

Post Number: 5
LOL.. David G, you truly sound like someone who is stuck with quite a few of these garbage units trying to convince people that they're 'decent for the price'... Which price do you speak of??
The price on the box? or the price they're scammed for?

- Can you tell me of a store that sells these?
- Name some units i should compare these to?

lol, anyone who read that post, beware its a full load of BS...
lol the remote control doesnt even have a logo on it... it just has the word "remote control" written on it... a sign that its garbage made to scam people.

Post Number: 6
Here is a video of some guy that got scammed... watch it so you see what kinda garbage it is... You might find the speakers under different names as well (all fake)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84MwyE1KH4M

Username: Dgrayzanic

Post Number: 3
Hey, user "G35", I was simply trying to give everybody some honest information. I hardly think that the imprint on the remote control is any indicator of quality! I never tried to say that these were fantastic products at some outrageous price value. I even told you what the dealers pay for them from the factory so people would know what kind of profit margins these "vans" are trying to scam out of people! You're going to insult me for that? I was under the impression that this was the purpose of this forum... guess the info is not appreciated. Look, there are plenty of "generic" or store-brand type products that are decent for the price. And yes, I truly do have DiVinci products in my home and I am very pleased with them. I have no idea which other stores sell these products! It's not like they give us a list! We sell them at Wired Industries in Ohio. There is another dealer here in Ohio called Lupica. I would compare them to something like the Best Buy brand "Insignia" or something like that. If you want a $2000 audio system, go buy a $2000 audio system! Don't buy one out of a van from some dishonest dealer for $300, and then try to compare it to a $2000 system and get pissed off! It's a $300 system, period. If anybody else wants any honest info about this company or it's products, feel free to contact me privately. I'll keep my big mouth shut in the forum since the honesty is not appreciated. And, no, I'm not "stuck" with anything that I'm trying to convince anyone is decent! We order these a few at a time as we sell them. Did I try and sell you anything? No! Did I even give the name of my store (until now, because you asked)? No! Because of that exact reason! I didn't want anyone to think I was just trying to sell the stuff. I was just giving you guys the truth... So sorry.

Username: Justin_ritter

Ya guys i just got the exact scam i knew it was and i still went with it i am an idiot i mean i set it up and it works and all but there is no juice coming out got the remote too. They said it was worth the 3599 bs and i got it for 500 it happened not more than an hour ago in burnaby bc outside of vancouver in a green suv a nice new one.

Bronze Member
Username: Levelzero

Post Number: 68
David G,

Have you reported these incidents to DaVinci? If so, what have they said? Are they going to follow up with the dealers and make sure they have store fronts, and perhaps do background checks or something?

Username: Jethrot

Comparable to insignia?!? good god no! I own a an insignia t.v. and sound system and its way way better than that divinci crap. The problem with the speakers isnt the gauge of wires but the speakers and drivers them selves. They are horribly low spec. one of my buddys got scammed by some jerk in a white gmc denali and he couldnt shift the speakers for 10$ to the local pawn store. the specs on these speakers dont even compare to that of the set of my insignias. The factory sells these for parobably 50$ a set, maybe less and these guys in their vans come down to prices like 120$ if your lucky. What makes you think they'd sell something worth as much as a 300$ for 120$?

And how about being hard pressed to find comparable speakers for under 300$? I'd be hard pressed to find any speakers that are as crappy as those for sale at any reputable establishment not matter the price, even the 75$ hardware store special is better than those.

Username: Forrysnet

Bakersfield, Ca Usa

My husband just got scammed with the DiVinci Home Theater system D-7. Manufactured price of $3,229.00. He paid $300.00. I questioned the brand when he told me about it because I believe you get what you pay for. He wanted me to look online & I found this site & also E-bay is selling them ,new for 139.99. Damn there goes the HDTV he was going to get to go with it. Now that he got scammed he'll never buy} the damn thing!

Silver Member

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 471
It is certainly not up to me but I can't help but thank and commend the intelligence of all of you who found this site. To me that is a great way to learn a lesson. Now comes the easy part, set up the system you bought and try to enjoy it (and don't buy an HDTV from the back of a van )!!!

Username: Yermalabuena

I got taken by this "scam" as well. Some beat up work truck, and a couple of guys outside a grocery store. I got a 5.1 sourround sub/receiver with all speakers (remote included) :-) and a pair of towers with built in 10" subs for $550. I got a cell phone #, liscence plate, and had the guy come in with me to the bank to cash the check, just in case I ever needed to track him down. It did sound pretty damn fishy. That was a couple months ago and I just found this forum. I can't say that I'm terribly dissapointed with the product though. I can shake the plates off the shelves upstairs. It took my brother 3k plus to get that same performance out of Klipsh (2 towers + receiver + sub). Sounds like this isn't exactly worth the MSRP, but I'm happy with my purchase. I'm in Utah, and it sounds like this identical scam is going on across the country. I'd like to know where the hell these guys are getting their training. Anyway, if you can buy the speakers for cheap, and check the box before forking over the cash, I'd say its worth it.

Username: Emcee_p

I was just arriving home yesterday and I was approached by a van with the same situation, I checked my account and i had 262 in it and I had about 20 bucks on me, the guy said he would take that so I ended up giving 280 away for this crappy system that does not even power my phillips speakers at full volume, I mean come on that is just false advertising in my opinion! I figured with all the "magazine ads" I mean who the heck are these guys anyways? I know this for sure, If i am ever approached again like this, I am busting heads no questions asked I will throw them out of the van and demolish every little box and amp in their viehicle so no one else is able to get ripped off like I did the other day. I wish I would have gone online and checked first, I figured with all the repuatible specs and what not, it was a legit system. Not LEGIT period, I guess I am one of the fortunate ones who did not lose over 300 bucks but close to it... BEWARE OF PEOPLE SELLING STEREO EQUIPMENT OUT BACK OF VIEHICLES - - THIS HAPPENED IN COLDWATER MICHIGAN SO BEWARE

Username: Sarajlija

so this guy pulls up beside me today and tries selling me this sh*t for $800 saying he installs them proffesionally and they loaded one extra. I didnt really need the system so I phoned up my buddy who did told him about it over the phone while the guy was waiting so I got the price down to 300 and went to meet up with my friend while this guy was following me in his GMC suv. While driving to my buddy's place he checked this out on the internet and seen that it was a scam from this site so once we got there I hope this makes some of you happy. Let's just say this guy learned his lesson in Regina Sakatchewan and lets leave it at that

Username: Dave3456

was approached by the white van at a gas station in raleigh, nc. guy flagged me down figured he wanted directions or something, then started a story about how him and his partner are delivery guys, and the shipment had been signed for but there were 2 extras stereo systems that would otherwise be given away, and he's doing me a favor by selling them for cheap.

ok pretty much sounded like a scam already but I know a good surround sound system when i see one, id take a sony for cheap. First thing I asked was what company he worked for, he brushed that one off immediately.

he swings open the sliding door of the mini van with a bunch of boxes back there, and takes out a catalog from a fedex envelope and shows me the $3,000 price tag. Thing looked like walmart junk. "You never heard of Divinci? they're awesome" he says, then his partner goes on a kick about the one in his bedroom and how great it is with its 15 million watts or whatever.

he was very desperate, asked me to make an offer and I declined. as I drove away i saw him talking to several others at the pumps.

I don't know if the police can do anything but it's definitely fraud by false representation.

Username: Boati

yeah just paid 260 for d7 home theatre driving around parking lots looking for the goof. after reading all this my friend is buying it from me for 240 so my loss is minimal. it does sound good though

Bronze Member
Username: Vm8444

Post Number: 30
sounds good?

compared to what bose!

you just got sc..wed
I did install these for someone and I really left oh too quickly ,
sound atrocious

wasn't davinci a painter?

theaudioguy.ca

If anyone really wants to know, Leonardo Da Vinci (not Di Vinvi) was a painter, sculptor, inventor, engineer, mathematician, and more. Also, he also is a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. ;)

Username: Javad

Just got scammed in North Vancouver BC. My father and I bought two of them for $500. The guy told me he had two extra ones that he did not have to give to his boss so he could sell it to us. He wanted $1000 for one..Unfortunately we had $500 on us and we said that we want both of them. so $250 for each which sounded good at the time...However after doing some research I see that it was a scam...They guy was soo convincing showing us the MSRP for $3500 and an add showing the price. He even told us that he is sellin them for cheap cuz these are expensive speakers...I haven't hooked them up to listen to them but it's a lesson well learned. Watch out for White Trucks and Vans...They are out to get yoooooooooooou.

Username: Oasis

I'm a big Denon fan! Guy at work says "I can get you one of those." He shows up with a Da Vinci - claiming it's better than the Denon, and has a msrp of $3500.00. I opened it up and almost s**t myself - couldn't stop laughing. I said what's this crap?
Can't wait to print this string, take it to work, shove it in this guys face, and tell him where to go.
Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Monkey_man_jack

Santa Maria, California United States

Post Number: 552
all of this is a perfect example of why you should not be so cheap and buy it out of a store or online, on a trust worthy site

Username: B1gmike

wow. first of all. never by anything from anyone with out checking it out first. if it sounds to good to be true. it probly is. but i dont thank it is a scam. i got the same system d7 from this guy in a van at fort bragg NC i got home and WOW.!!! IT IS GRATE. the sound is really good. he did try to get me for 600. but i didnt know where he got them. and didnt really wanna know. i was in the market for a new system. i check it out took every pice outta the box looked at all the wiers and plugs. i did notice there were no hdmi cables or plugs. but he wasnt selling me a tv or dvd player. it was a seround sound system. so there is no need for HDMI. i told the guy i only got 200. he took it and off i went. one satified coustmer here at fort bragg NC.

Username: Kro

El Paso, Texas USA

First of all learn to spell. I have a friend of a friend that wanted me to hook one of these up for them. I was given the same story about how it was attained. I didn't think anything of it since I worked at an electronics store before and know that theft goes on. When I saw the system I knew something was up since they said they got it for 600 and they saw that the price was supposed to be 3k. It had no video INs or OUTs and no high end audio INs and OUTs.

Anyway, I wired the speakers threw the attic and hooked them up to the system and got nothing. I ran all the standard checks before trying the speakers on an old system and sure enough we got sound. They had the system for a few months and now it's dead. Enjoy your shitty system while it lasts.

first of all. you probly paid the whole 3k for the system. your friend is a crack head and got you to buy them. lolz im pleased with my system. now hows my spelling? is that any better for you?

Post Number: 6
I'm pretty happy for you if you like the system you bought, but for what I've heard (after many months of playing), even if they were "acceptable" at first, they have totally deteriorated since then... It's a shame they are plugged to a high-end amp. Hahaha!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2438
­
Anyway, I wired the speakers threw the attic....

Threw?
How about through.

Username: 2fingers

Indianapolis, Indiana US

Ok,it happened to me today in Indainapolis,In. as I left the Sears store. An expert salesmen approached me and asked if I wanted to buy a home theater system from the back of his red Chevy pickup. He said that he had gone to pick up two systems for this bar and who ever had given him the two had gave him a few extra ones. Well I was in a hurry to get back home to get some tickets for a Eric Clapton concert that I really didn't take the time to analyze the whole deal. He got me for 220.00. I would like to put nair on his kahonneys ( I hope I spelled that right for the spelling police) and I might just be able to find him to do that. Like the old saying buyer beware!

Username: Idontknow

Pittsburgh, Pa

Well i seem to be the latest addition to this wonderful world. Ignorance was bliss at the time. It was the same apparent routine; magazine ad, valued at 1299.00, some story about working for the distributor company and he had couple left over from a job in columbus, oh. And if he didnt get rid of it, he would just lose it to seniority. At first he was asking how close i could get to $500. I laughed and said no way. I replied with maybe.. MAYBE 200. he said, "i'll tell you what, if you see me around town, just buy me a beer or two." i thought wow this is sweet, i've been looking at home theaters, and im spending about the same price i would have. I told him that i wanted to see inside the box. He cut it open and showed me the speakers, so i bought it. he gave me a "receipt" that contained his number and company and price so i could get the 3 year warranty on it.

But what exactly am i getting scammed about? it appears that i have 6 operating speakers? i dont have a receiver at the moment. but why is this a bad deal? Do they not work?
I didnt buy a system that needed a remote.

But just in case, luckily enough my gf was in the car and she wrote down his license plate number and took a picture of his blue saturn ion. hint hint. so hopefully that would be of use if the authorities need to be involved.

Can someone explain
thanks

Pittsburgh, Pa

Silver Member

Post Number: 761
More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers

Username: Yermalabuena

Update on the system I bought back in July. D7 with two additional towers. I bought an Onkyo (reputable brand) receiver for Christmas to get some good surround effects out of all my crappy speakers. I've been listening to music and watching movies with it since then. Still nothing "wrong" with it. I'm sure to an acoustical snob it sounds like crap, but I'm really not that descerning. Music sounds better than it does in my car, and movies are better than with the TV speakers. Bottom line? Cheep stuff, low quality, and if you didn't pay much, you basically got a fair trade. It just makes some people feel stupid to think they got a great deal then find out they got cheep stuff for a cheep price.

Pittsburgh, Pa

PS
Im selling a 6 piece DiVinci speaker set for $200 if anyone is interested!

Username: Ninefoothoagies

Post Number: 10
Im selling a 6 piece DiVinci speaker set for $200 if anyone is interested!

Was it a single speaker before you got it home?

Username: Karim_montreal

I was about to get scammed as well~! I saw a guy in a black chevy SUV who approached me outside a mall (for people from Montreal.. he was infront of Dollarama the one accorss from Bombardier on Marcel lauren blvd)

He had an interesting story... my manager just bought one of those for 2200$ and store made a mistake and gave me 2 so am selling this one for quick cash.. I don`t really care how much I get for it.. (I was suspicious .. why not just port on craigslist.. yet I was still greedy :-| )Then he showed me a magazine that said the retail price for them was 2999 US$. He was smart to say.. I know ATM machines only give u 500$ in one shot so i`ll be willing to accept as little as a few hundred bucks.. I bluffed and said I only have a 100 bucks in my account now .. what do u think? he said OK but as I prepared for leaving with him to my bank I asked how did the wireless work? cause they were the 6 speakers wireless.. and he said I dunno rehcargable or plug to the wall.. I figured a brand i haven`t heard of... probably the sound would have been crappy cause its wireless as well..however a 100$ at stake wasn`t that big of a deal but still its money! So I called the deal off and he was really pissed.. then I saw him approaching other people in my rear mirror.. now that I read this I regret not reporting him to the police.

Username: Guy101

i love my DiVinci kit it is dv7010 got it new for 120$ it is more beter thing my toshiba sd-v55ht. my frind came to my house and he was like you got f*** i was like no man it is f***ing good. so he sits doing and i play world at wer ps3 he sed what the f*** that is good sound so for all you guys that dont like it go to walmart and by a 300 shi* kit and call me you well see that the DiVinci kit is a good kit my name is guy 819 688 1131

Username: Guy101

i give yous 80$ for your kits

Pittsburgh, Pa

how close can you get to $200?

Username: Alt1901

I got a license plate number, can I trace this guy back and "politely" get my money back.

Pittsburgh, Pa

Post Number: 4
The best/ only thing you can really do is call the police and file a report. hopefully the transaction took place near video surveilence and the police can recover the video footage.

Username: Phillykill3r

They got me about an hour ago, i got the d52 for $100 havent set it up yet but i guess if it works its not THAT bad, BEWARE MALLS of PHILADELPHIA PA.
I just hope that i will see him around so we can have that "beer"...

Username: Von

they just got me for $300 a few hours ago with the same damn story. i decided to look it up after i discovered some of the parts where missing. i'm pissed. i tried riding around to find him but i couldn't. i feel so stupid

Username: Human543

got taken today for 200 while i was at work. white buick rendevuz in grand rapids. i will be looking tonight and tomorrow. they didn't tell me it didn't have an amplifier with it, and i didn't think to look, so that's my bad. the wire is way too small to safely put almost any power through it. that size wire is for very small super low power stuff like headphones, it's not even safe to have in your house. it's the same worn out story here, they had extra, they need to get rid of one, and boom, i'm out a good amount of cash and they're "going to the topless bar". you think they wouldn't want to scam a guy with acess to a cordless nailgun and extensive knowledge of cars, and they don't know what i drive, so i can tail them if i could find them. someone's losing a security deposit on a white buick if i do.

Silver Member
Username: Monkey_man_jack

Santa Maria, California United States

Post Number: 557
is there really this amount of people on a Home theater forum, that don't know anything about Home Theaters?

why would one even be prompted to buy something out of the back of a van or car? clearly you get what you pay for....I can't even say this goes towards Home Theater people, it's just plain common sense

Silver Member

Post Number: 799
Since you will see that the vast majority of posters here on this thread are newbies they have found this forum doing a search for DIVINCI because of that nagging feeling that they may have been "taken".

Pittsburgh, Pa

Correction: this nagging feeling you speak of was actually a simple search to find out more about this equipment. When all the results found for this brand name turned out to be nothing more than just that, it raised more questions. Only to be answered here with a little more research. So i hope you enjoyed yourself
Jim Bay of Livonia, Michigan
with your attempt at solving the worlds most crucial problems one at a time.

NOOBS FTW!!
i understand that your next post will be full of incompetent remarks including such of how much bigger your phallus is than your other male lovers in the Detroit area.

Username: Lbrooks

Port Saint Lucie, FL USA

just got scammed today. Two guys pull up to me while I'm at a Bank of America atm, says he installs these systems for work but they got one extra and his boss will just take it for himself if he finds out. So he wants to sell it to me. Man, I knew it looked fishy and I told him that but I was thinking since we were right in front of a bank of America with its security cameras and what not, that he wouldn't dare. Well he did dare and I withdrew $260 for a Divinci 6.1 system. This happened in Port Saint Lucie, FL. I started out by offering $100 & he convinced me to raise the bid but I'm thankful for all you guys out there sharing your experiences. Did I mention this guy said he would even install the system for six-pack of beer?

Username: Waneford

Just got scammed today (sucker born every day) in Jacksonville, Fla. at the town center mall on the north side. Two guys in a white van........same story.....two many units on hand and need to unload one at a rediculously low price. I paid 200 for the set.
Are they even worth setting up?

Username: Evitajr20

Garfield , NJ US

Same thing happened to me today just a few hours ago. I totally got scammed. But I am normally a sucker, sad but true. Two guys told me they had an extra one in there van that there boss didn't know about and they didn't want to have to take it back so that there boss can keep it for himself. So I bought into that sh*t and asked how much they wanted. He showed me how much it was suppose to really cost and then after asked for $1500 I said HELL NO! Then went to 1000 then 700 then 500 I was walking to my car after I said no. As I was leaving out the gas station he literally jumped in front of my car and dropped the price to 250 I said ok, I was in a rush to get back to work. I thought I had a good deal here. As I am sitting at my desk I go look this product up in google and saw the title "Divinci White Van Scam" I wanted to put a friggin whole in the wall. I was so upset. My boyfriend laughed at me when I told him what happened. Now I laugh it off but I see it like this people like that will get whats coming to them. They forget about there best friend KARMA and she is definitely a B*tch! Thats my story}

Username: Twin24life

EVERYONE!! I can't believe this has been going on for over 3 years, well maybe more. I want everyone to know, I am going to do something about this! I have an interview with my local news station this weekend. My husband was a victim, we promised each other we wud never fall for another scam again, a few years back we had a few boys come to the front door selling Celebrity gossip magazines, my husband wanted to do something nice for me and ordered a years subscription for almost $200 bucks, never saw the magazines, and my husband was out of $200.

Well same story, Blue SUV, 2 guys, selling price for a DiVinci 5.1 Innovative Sound & Bass Precision Theater System (with bar code & price) (FAKE Honey!!) =(.................$3,229.00.

The guys wanted $1,000.00. My husband thought the system was stolen, he wanted to buy it and re-sell it for a few extra bucks, (I know.... my Husband has bad ideas, lol) My husband said "No way!" to a thousand, the guy went all the way down to $600.00.

My husband talked him down to $220.00. If I was there this wud not have happened, how cud something be priced for over 3 grand, and my husband buys it for $220.00??? First red flag is guys selling something out the back of a van!!!

Wud you buy meat or fish out the back of a van?? lol....NO!!! So don't go buying electronics out the back of a van!! Or anything for that matter!!!

Anyways, the guys left a cell number, it was active since my husband called him while he was standing in front of him, the guys did have a visible license plate, but my husband didn't realize this was a scam, and didn't plan to get the plate number.

So he gets home to show me this theater system, and we googled it to see what he cud sell it for on eBay, or Craigslist, well sites like this one came up saying it was a scam, my husband does feel silly, I was livid!! I wanted to call the police, but instead I took the damn thing myself to a local pawn shop, the lady asked me if I got it off the back of a truck, I said I dunno....well I knew.....she said no pawn shops will take these because they are all basically CRAP!

Oh btw, to sum of the comments above, ours did come with a remote, it came with everything, I haven't plugged it in yet, but I'm sure it works, it's just not worth $220.00, $600.00, 1,000.00 or even 3,229.00!!!!! I wud say it is probably worth $50.00-$90.00, it's just like any cheap home theater system you wud buy at like Wal-mart.

Oh that's another thing, I can't even find a store that sells these, and I can't even find a price that they wud be sold for.

Soooooo I'm going on the news! I do not plan to give my name, or my husbands, I will give my state, and the city where my husband picked it up from, but I will not give out the city I currently live in.

I have already spoken with the news team, and they plan to launch a full investigative report. I want as many ppl as possible to know about this scam, $220.00 isn't too bad and it is a lesson well learned, (again) but I know $220.00 is alot to other ppl who have been scammed.

I feel really bad for the ppl above who didn't get a remote, had missing parts, and who spent well over $500.00, if you paid anything more then $100.00 you got ripped off.

This is illegal, and they can serve jail time for fraud, & theft. I don't think any of the ppl including my husband are idiots or that they are greedy for taking what sounded like a great opportunity. Everyone wants to get a good deal on things in life, so to those of you who got scammed, don't feel bad, embarrassed, greedy, and don't let sum of the comments above get to you.

Ppl who have been scammed TELL everyone you know so this doesn't happen to others, the more ppl who know, the better chance these guys will be caught, and will be put out of business!!

Thank you to all of you who took the time to read this, after my interview this weekend, I do plan to contact the police.

Lets get these scum bags off the streets & out of our communities!!!

happy owner of the 5.1 system. been 4 mounths sence i got my system. i payed 200 for it. sounds grate. you sud hook it up. try it. dont be the one that cast the first stone.

Username: Spazticzarj

Naples, FL USA

wow this is pretty intense... everyone seems to be gettin scammed... me n a buddy got approached while goin' into a UPS store LOL he said he was headed over to the ritz carlton to install one and that he had one outta 2 that was an xtra... soo me and a buddy looked at eachother after he gaves us the same bull and didnt think ..... we bought it for 200 each lol! soo we looked online hopeing it wasnt a scam but it looks like it may have been ... but what boggles me is if its a scam why did ours have the factory safety straps still on it??? it said divinci all over it even sounds like a low end bose.... im not too upset if it was a scam cuz frankly it was my own stupidity soo gettin upset wont help... i just gotta figure out how to sell it for the same price as i bought it lol!

Post Number: 4
you wont sell it for the same price. it only worth 150 at the most. i would hook it up and see if you like it.

Username: Jinto

Yep they got me too. for $100, 5 speakers, 1 good looking sub, and NO Amp LOL. My wife and i were tired from driving and went to fill up the car, got aprocked by a lone guy in a black truck with 4 of these things in the bed of his truck. Well same old story, ended up being out the $100. Just hooked them up (only 2 speakers and the sub) to my little CD player, and thought they sounded alright, (after i looked them up and learned i was scammed) then i reconnected one of the normal speakers to the right side and did a comparison, while they did sound alright, the old ones were definitely clearer and sounded better. *Sigh* well at least i can say my wife is not mad at me as she was all for it since we needed a new system.... only problem is this set does not come with an AMP so i have to spend another $100 or so for one... i think i just go buy like a philips from Wal-mart or something LOL. O well Live and Learn Right

Username: Reallystupid

I just got scammed like fellow members....I thought I was smart but I guess there are smart scammers out there...
During the Red light stop on Rt 46 in Parsippany NJ
today a Grey Honda Oddesey Van Lic VRK-31M (or N) stopped next to my BMW and asked for directions and then asked if I have a minute by the 2 men in the Van. Without thinking any further I stopped and they showed me all the Divinci Speaker systems and catalogs with the sticker price of $1999 to $3999 and said they can give me these home theater systems for what ever CASH I had...and I had $350 to surrender to the scam...
PLEASE DON'T FALL FOR THESE SCAMMERS LIKE I DID and be safe!!!

I guess we should always post the Lice plate info so that some day Police will take an action.....its a long shot but lets hope they do before any one else gets scammed.....

Username: Melt

Just got fooled. I feel sooooooo stupid.

I was on cremazie in Montreal and this guys at the red light tells me he works for Kebecson and has extra home theaters for cheap. They are worth 2000$ and can give it to me really cheap. I negociated 250 $ . What a fool! The box contains a bunch of speakers.

He too wanted me to pay him a beer if I see him. He even gave me his cell number in case in need help to set it up. Cell has no answer of course.

He said last time he brought extra units to his boss, all he did was pay him a 6-pack of beer... so this time, he preferred to just sell it. He also looked worried that I would call Kebecson.

What a good actor. What a scam. Man was I fooled. At least, I learnt something that did not cost me too much... I will always remember that one.

And that's the thing with getting scammed like that: we often feel ashame and because of that, we don't do nor say anything. So they keep going.

Username: Techny

BAAH!! I'm down in Atlanta on business. A fast talking dude and a good looking blonde chick in a blue full sized tahoe or suburban caught me while making a U-Turn in a BANK parking lot. They flagged me, I opened my window and he said, "hey, you want to buy a home theater??" I said, I can't do anything with it, I'm from out of town. They told me they worked for "Sound Division" in Buckhead and were even wearing their baby blue polo shirts! Seemed somewhat legit - I'll bite for a minute as I had nothing but time... They popped the hatch, and had four units in the back of the truck. Fast talkin' but not enough for this NY'er. I was just wasting their time and the funny thing is, they really thought I was going to buy this thing!!! I was taking THEM for a ride!!!!!! (man I hope they see this post. Hey Farrel (chick) find a new racket!!!! You lend no credibility just because your a woman.) Here was their story: 'we work for sound division and we're going to an install. they loaded too many of these units - it's the boss' car - and if we get to the install site and the installer sees these, HE will take them back!!!" (LOL). I wanted to say, bro, ever hear of Canal Street in NYC? Think I haven't heard this crap!!! I continued to play along. (I even said, "isn't that the Alfa Romeo logo? - there was an AR logo on the box posing as one of the "awards" the unit had won! LMFAO!!) They were like, give us 500. It's a 3000 setup. Ever hear of Nakamichi? Bang and Olufson?" I go yeah, but never DaVinci and I know quite a bit about A/V gear. I was like I don't need it. I have a Denon rcvr at home. He goes, nice unit. (like you know). They were then getting desperate as it started to POUR! They were wiping their boxes down with a SHAMWOW - ANOTHER SHAM!!! They also showed me a magazine article conveniently turned to the page w/ the DaVinci ad. SUCH crap. After spinning THEIR wheels for a while, I was like, I don't want it. I don't need it. He goes, I'm going to keep looking and asking people (as if to say, 'your loss!') - we already wasted a lot of time and we have to get to this install. Yeah. OK. You go to that install. Don't F with NY'ers, punk - we're too smart and I'm so glad that I was right AND I'm glad I helped to vindicate everyone on this board. I got your $500 right here!!!

Username: Ert2008

They have made it to Dayton, Ohio. I just got scammed as well. Oh well, Learned a lesson. Same story you guys are sayin basically..Acted like he was making an installation and had too many so he was selling them. Said he was an electrician from Kentucky and had a Kentucky Drivers License. Rusty Iseral License # 104-185-303. Exp 1/13/2013. Born 12-31-1961.....Didnt think to get his Plate number.

Username: Ncjohns1

i was just scammed for a set of 6 speakers retail price "1,999" for $200 i did happen to get the license plate #, is this illegal? if so does anyone know how i can catch these mf's?

Username: Boca

Hi,

I got scammed very badly in the Publix at Boca Raton by a guy named Anthony. His numebr is 954 667 4345. Lets all call him !!!!!!

Username: Delboud

Detroit, Michigan

Sooo yeah happened to me today in Belleville michigan while i was going to school for a exam (i actually live in Detroit)

some dude in a black trailblazer stopped me and said did I need some sounds, i said hell ill look (im from detroit, this is the norm for me...)

he had like 5 huge a-s-s boxes of them then showed me a magazine like everyone else and threw it, i said i dont got 300 but i got about 100 in the bank

he said ok and parked, i ran to the atm and got 60 out (once again this is the norm so i know something was up... but i needed some for my girlfriend apartment lol)

i popped the trunk and he dropped it in and gave him the 60 and he didnt check... i floored my impala :-)

when people drop their price from 700 to 100 their stolen or fake... im kinda mad that their fake opposed to stolen but whatever i wasnt completely hustled

Username: Sheraaz

My dad was scammed with these speakers... BUT I didn't know that... I actually just set up my speakers today. and surprisingly they are actually pretty good. He paid about $200.00 which i didnt think was to bad. We hooked up out speakers to a Sony DN1000 receiver and they sound good. Obviously not amazing. But the subwoofer works well and the center speaker isn't too bad either. The remote is pretty cheap but we don't use it anymore because of the universal remote. Maybe we got lucky with a good system? Our model was DV-606? I didn't see any complaints online about those. I watched Transformers and Star Trek on blu ray on a PS3, with the Sony DN1000 receiver on the Sony KDL 52V5100. Seemed to work fine. Hope this is useful to anyone... I'm still a bit pissed about it being a scam though...

Username: Sheraaz

BTW They made it to Illinois... Gah...

Username: Dan30

I got scamed in mich by a guy in a new red f250 club cab with a black cover on box it looked like a 2007 i got his plate number and cell too if got you let me know ill give you his info

Bronze Member
Username: Rmammerschuber

NY USA

Post Number: 40
Looky here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Divinci-Surround-Sound-System-800-watts-NIB_W0QQitemZ2505728 26895QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers

No need to wait to ne approached by the next (insert vehicle here).

Just head on over to eBay and "buy now" for $399

Username: Klute

Mississauga, Ontario Canada

Wow. I never imagined that this was such a booming business. It almost sounds like a franchise similar to the old door to door vacuum cleaners or encyclopedia salesmen. My only nagging concern on reflection is that I've contributed to an underground economy and vow to never do this again. If this is going all across the USA and Canada, this must be well organized. They can not all be "hot".

I bought one as well. Same MO as everyone else. I was in the market for a sound system and his pitch in the parking lot was timely.

The only way I would buy it was conditional upon him following me to my house and installing it on my new TV. I know nothing about electronics. Although pressed for time he agreed and an hour later I had a wonderful surround sound system. He even should me how to use the remote.

I am perfectly happy with my unit but went on line to locate a new remote as our dog destroyed the one I had.

Any advice? I have a DV-606. A legitimate source only....please don't send a truck.

Username: Csq2

I was 16 (now 18) and with my friend when this 20 year old guy in a black Dodge Magnum pulled up in front of us. We were so excited and thought we won something. The guy said he had 5 Da Vinci speaker sets that he got from his "company" and said they were worth $3000 a piece. He showed us a brochure and said he would sell one of the sets for $200. Then, he asked if he took us to the bank how much money could we withdraw. I said I had $60 on my debit card and he said nothing and drove away. My friend and I were like WTF?. What's even more funny was that the box said "MADE IN CHINA" in large letters. I mean something that expensive can't possible be made in China. I can't believe this happened in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Yes, Canada...

Username: Mics

Windsor, Ontario Canada

i got scammed.... me being hard up for money right now just got scammed thought i could flip it but just doesnt work :'(

i hate how things like this always happen to people like me... im a good guy i take care of all the girls in my life(no im not rich, i just look after them like sisters)

i wish the police would own up to there jobs and doing something about this... its pathetic, like really... a guy not much older then me sells me these divinci speakers and run away with it... i was so excited to get a head just a little bit more and i end up getting scammed :'( i guess it just goes to show you charma isnt on anyones side, good or bad

I don't blame you for being scammed. Most people don't have too much knowledge when it comes to loudspeakers. They think 5.1 surround sound is good when a pair of good quality bookshelf speakers can cost twice to three times as much. I'd like to see them scam a real audiophile, who knows his speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
amen cj

...and mike why did you bite?
you could of came here and inquire on what to buy budget etc..

oh well lesson learned move on.....

peace vm

Username: Mics

Windsor, Ontario Canada

thats just it... i thought i did know my stereo equipment :s

o well lesson learned... just glad it wasnt like $5000 scammed from me like my brother...

only reason i bit it was im like 900 in debt to my parents so i wanted to get out of the hole as quickly as possible... lesson learned... work for your money... dont talk to strangers number one and when having a good day ignore all a$$holes

Username: Tigriscub

Wow, i feel a lot better now. Im in Salt Lake City, Utah and was approached by a guy in nice suburban. He was well dressed, collared shirt, slacks, very clean so i figured he was legit. Said he was an installer and they put 4 extra systems in his truck, they weren't on the invoice and tried to send them back but couldn't for some reason, now he wanted to just get rid of them. Same story as every one else, he tried to convince me that it was a $3000 system and he only wanted $500 for it. He seemed to be in a hurry and flying through all my questions. When i told him i only had a hundred bucks he took off like a bat out of hell, i figured i offended him somehow. As i was driving back to work, i thought to myself, 'I should have gotten them, it was an awesome deal' Then i remembered a few years ago when i was living in Denver, someone pulled the same thing on me with a set of speaker towers, they were an off-name brand i never heard of (Millennium or something like that) and i ended up buying them out of the back of a van. Come to find out they were a scam, hardly worth the 75 bucks i paid a piece, but hey the speakers worked fine.- Still feeling bad about not buying the system, i just wanted to see how much they were worth, so i googled it. Well, well, this is what i found. I took a nice big sigh of relief. I am one of those people that hates letting a good deal pass me by, but I just have to keep telling myself, there is no such thing as a good deal. If you don't pay a a lot for it, there is a reason. The more money you spend (at a legitimate store) the better the quality of the product. And that is what we forget, and the reason we get screwed like that.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2659
­
I am not pointing fingers or naming names, but I swear most of the posters on this and other 'white van' speaker threads are the scammers themselves, just having fun with the rest of us writing their "confessions".

No way would so many take the time to confess what idiots they are, unless the posters are actually posing as "victims" for the amusement of their felonious contemporaries.

­

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
john you'd be amazed bro

Username: Sweetpea10

I just got scammed a couple of hours ago. I really can't believe how it went down. All i can say is those guys are good. So I am going to give my system to a good cause just to shake off the negative vibes.

Username: Steele9th

What about Image Reference? Anyone heard of this company?
Are they any good?

Google "Image Reference". If there isn't a legit website, then they are a fake company. You can always tell that these speakers are not expensive hi-fi speakers from the cheap plastic used.

Username: Scammedforlasttime

I got scammed too. It was for 369.99 for the 6.1 divinci speakers. I got a ride atleast, -20$ for a cab. I honestly think when this happens to you, its a serendipitous event.

One time this happened to me and a bunch of friends in italy, but we got the bag switched out on us, so we ended up with salt for around 600$ instead of camcorder & laptop.

Username: Steele9th

So, if the unit didn't come with a remote it's useless? Can you get a generic remote to use with it? Thanks

Username: Crixe

My friend and I where approached in a mall parking lot by a guy in a GMC SUV, giving us the same "story" about having too many blah blah even pulled out a few thousand in cash saying he got these extra units gave us a story saying his boss wouldn't pay him anything for it. That I believe is true, I'm betting these guys probably buy these units at cost of maybe 50-100 dollars and don't get refunds. I figured it was weird when he was spouting off all these specs and reading the box I was like "yeah.. no" I work in a best buy I see speakers all day, but I also have a few pairs of shitty logic-tech speakers. Mind you I really didn't expect much more out of these I even said at best we can rewire them and run new speakers using the cases for the looks, because lets face it they at lest match. We went down to the police station talked to the police basically what they told us was a story about his own brother who got a pair he gave a rather fair testament to it, saying in essence yes it's a scam but if you don't pay over 200 you didn't do too bad. The speakers aren't fantastic rewire the insides if your a bit willing you can easily convert them into better units. We thought at worst the units where stolen. But that wasn't my feeling my feeling was more these were not even half as good as he said we basically refused because my friend is kind of stingy with money but I said hell for 200 dollars it's latest a nice set of speaker boxes. And we have some high end RCA at home that we are fingering on swapping out. We got a remote with it yeah no amp but that's not really surprising.. it's a speaker system.. They don't normally come with amps people.. You can go down to your local hardware store buy some speaker wire rewire the things in about an hour close it up and be happy you got a pair of at lest nice looking speakers. Main things to know these speakers aren't high end. Your not going to be blasting these things full volume without cracking same for any cheap speaker set. I could tell they weren't great the picture had pixelation on the cover so I knew they where probably worth a hell of a lot less then the price but I also knew that at best the guy was an actual "sales man" probably for a company like I've seen all over these third party hire on's where there job is simply to get you to buy something and use there own money to get in the door. The speakers out of the box are meh. They are made of plastic and foam with a PB base "wood" they have a mat black finish and it's just a stain on so don't get them wet or it will run. For 200 bucks they are still speakers. That's basically all I have to say about this.

Username: Jeremy49917

I found out how to catch these guys and get them convicted. If you are in Utah please call me ASAP 801-971-3940 Jeremy.

I'm in Utah myself. I'm guessing the guy that got you was around the Salt Lake Area, seeing as your an 801 the Salt Lake Area code. I actually talked to the cops. Even with his plates it's a civil suit the cops won't do anything but give them a ticket. In the end if you really want to make a deal out of it you can always subpoena them to court if they don't show well then you can do more. But according to federal law you can only sue for the cost of your time that you spent because they did not show up to the summons. "In the US, a disgruntled buyer may file a complaint with the state Attorney General, alleging that the seller intentionally misled him to believe he was purchasing high quality goods from a reputable manufacturer. They may also report the seller to the Internal Revenue Service or their state's Department of Revenue." - wiki. Feel free to give me this advise Jeremy I'm not looking to phone you even though your in the same area code as me.

Username: Bbqpope

I'm in Chicago now, but bought my DiVinci surround sound system out of the back of an Escalade in Bakersfield, CA about 4 years ago. Hold onto your pants, folks... couldn't be happier with it. the speakers are still in great shape after this long. everything worked right out of the box, it has all the basic inputs such as DVD5.1, audioCD, and a TV input. only problem is no remote. was setting it up in my new place and decided "dammit!... i want a remote!" so i jumped online to search and found this forum. sure, buying from the back of a van is a no-no. sure, i don't really know jack about audio or home theater systems. sure, for $350 i might have been able to get something better. but if i don't know the difference and it still works great and i didn't have to pay taxes, i'm friggin' happy. sorry to everyone who got the shaft on this, and who knows? maybe my system will take a crap out of nowhere but i've already gotten years of enjoyment out of it. i just can't believe how many of you didn't talk them down under $400! it's out of a van! i probably could've gotten it for an even $300. that's my only regret.

Curtis, I hate to say this, but $350 is above the SSRP (scammer's suggested retail price). The SSRP is $200, which most scammer's seem to be offering if they are "nice" enough. My friend and I were offered the same set for $200, yet we still refused.

Username: Codehpro

haha i know someone that just bought these in Utah a couple days ago he was waiting for the windhover bus in Ogden idk how much he paid but he sure got ripped off from what i have read the box says 3k+ and the guy showed him and add with the spec and everything had a van or whatever he took the stuff from and showed him a big wad of cash

Username: Shaylal

yup... taken for $250 in WV out of a white van. It was the week before my wedding, and my fiancee ran up on this guy selling speakers. He spent $250 of our damn honeymoon $ on this bullshit. I'm so pissed

Username: Schleprockk

I would like to thank all of you for posting on this thread it saved me getting scammed for I too ran into this dishonest thieving duo yesterday evening at a truck-stop in Monroe Michigan they were in a white or light silver SUV they all of a sudden got in a hurry when I didn't recognize the brand name of the Divinci home entertainment system and said I was going to google it. I showed them the article said no thanks it's a scam and I don't want it. They then left out of the truck stop in a hurry. I wouldn't be surprised if they read and follow this thread. Hopefully this thread puts a serious damper on their income for they are nothing more than theifs

Bronze Member
Username: Rmammerschuber

NY USA

Post Number: 76
Gotta love that mobil broadband wifi ability.

Heh in all fairness these guys are just trying to make money but this system is worth maybe $50.00 at best.

1st rule of commerce; If it sounds to good to be true then....

Username: Elwoodpleebus

ToronotCanada

I got my DV-606 out of the garbage! It was complete with all original items except two of the speakers were used. It looked like they were taken out to connect to a stereo system while doing drywall as they were full of drywall dust. The box was all dusty inside and out but everything else is wrapped in plastic.

I was able to replace the blown drivers for less than $10. Overall the sound is not bad. It definitely produces "room filling" sound. I think it might be 10W per channel. Even if you got burned buying this product, it might be worth setting up on a spare DVD player for the kids or with an MP3 player.

The manufacturers web site has all of the brochures and owner's manuals at http://www.ptstitan.com which is now a parked domain.

Does anyone know how to get the North American FM 200KHz and 10kHz step sizes or know where I can get a manual?

I'm going to use it in the bedroom and it would be nice to have the tuner working with the correct step sizes.

P.S. I own a couple of vintage Sansui receivers and some decent speakers but sometimes you CAN get by with junk like this if you're on a budget and only occasionally use it.

Username: Scharen9

I think the lesson here is, buy sh*t off the truck, and you get what you pay for.

Username: Bellbury

Wow! Am I psssst. I just drove half way across the city to pick up a pair of DiVinci DV-1420 tower speakers. A guy gave them to me for nothing, but I think about the wasted time and all the fuel that I wasted for these speakers, so I guess some of you others are really livid. I would not recommend connecting these speakers to anything that you want to keep as the impedance may fluctuate down to as low as 2 ohms which to your amplifier is a near dead short. These speakers are going straight to the electronic recycler, because I have a conscience.

Username: Hotrod2236

haha this guy try to sell me some the other day he said his name was rusty and he had i to many and if he took it back then they would just take it had the invoice all all that crap i told him i didnt want them but he keep tryin i was look i got 30 buck to my name ill give that to ya he got pissed and left said he was goin to put them in for some guy but all crap this happen in eastern kentucky so watch out

Username: Copper1125

I just got scammed yesterday in front of shoprite along Route 1 in Woodbridge, NJ. I paid $200 for those speakers. It isn't a white van anymore, its black. The windows were tinted. Anyway, If there are any police or friends of police here in this site, there License plate was B20 AEZ. Lets try to catch these crooks.}

Username: Scharen9

all of you who complain about being scammed need to take a step back. they didnt take the money from your wallet, you CHOSE to purchase these things out of a strangers van. Knowing full well it might be stolen or crap. My brother sold these for a while, the company is legit, it costs them 200 per set to take them out and sell them. the only illegal part about it is, you are not supposed to solicit in the places that they do.

Color doesn't matter, depending on where they sell it they could be fined for not having a license to sell product on that property. But you would be at fault for buying the speakers a sales man can talk all the spin in the world to up-sale a product that's what they do but junk will be junk. How illegal what they are doing depends on state to state laws. File a report with the local police. Hope they get caught that's the best you can do. In the end it was your choice to buy not them. As Salesman said it's just illegal to sell in places take my roommate for example he bought a pair at a mall parking lot he didn't pay 200 dollars for them but still. I would have been pretty bent out of shape if I had dropped that kind of cash on something as pointless as that. Be smart about what you buy and remember you get what you pay for 200 dollar speakers are 200 dollar speakers. A single audio set at best buy will run you for a 5.1 around 350 for a name brand. High end speakers can cost 200-300ish each and bookshelf bows can run you 200ish a pair and you'll be a lot happier with the sound. Remember if you can't try it, return it, replace it if it's broken then your the one who's SoL not them. Buy from reputability companies not trucks. If you want a good deal buy last years models on clearance prices in Feb-July.

Username: Jeremy49917

Lying to make a sale is nonetheless lying and cheating. I hope your brother can find decent work someday. This stuff is bad for the soul. It's stealing for cowards. Say it's peoples own fault makes you sound like a rapist that blames the victim. You may sell this crap to the wrong person someday and find yourself screwed and proper.

Username: Elio_motors_freak

Just bought one of these used at a Goodwill store for $15.00 It did not come with the remote control but otherwise works great. I would say it has pretty good sound considering it's analog limitations. If I can find a universal remote for it I will report on it's radio features. Until then, there is no way to operate the tuners.

Username: Blazeaglory

This happened allot around here back in the day. Early to mid 90s Westminster CA. Could buy 70s style wood/ metal Pioneer amp from goodwill for 10$. So we'd come up on car subs like 12" kickers with no box. Well these speaker van guys would lay in wait and try to sell these very nice looking 12" home audio speakers in tower with mid and tweeter etc... Always starting at 150 for the pair. Well we'd offer 20$ for each cabinet so van guy says $50 for both without subs. Then he'd literally unscrew and remove sub and we'd all get our boxes home and put our kickers and Rockfords in and hook up to our 10$ 25 year old amps and MAN those cheap boxes would BUMP SO HARD! The mids and highs were actually okay and the boxes had knobs to control the levels.

I had 3 different amps and 4 "cheap" boxes, 1 in each corner of my bedroom in 1992. One day a neighbor came to complain of the pictures falling off his living room walls. I said to him, "wait don't you live like 5 houses down?" Lol

Username: Hdmagick

I bought a Signature Series 5.1/7.1 DiVinci Surround Sound System out of the back of a green jeep in 2010 for $150. It is an analog system which requires an analog DVD player to source the audio from. Only 2 companies make true analog 5.1/7.1 DVD players. Panasonic and OPPO. OPPO is a state of the art, high end DVD player. It has 7.1 separate audio out terminals for each channel. Therefore it requires a SS system with 7.1 channel analog inputs. If you want pure, clean surround sound with incomparable separation and clarity, analog is the ONLY way to go. Every claim made by DiVinci on the packaging was true. 140 watts per channel with no distortion. The Subwoofer is only 12" and is mounted on the side of the remotely controlled amplifier unit. The bass is surprisingly strong and thumping. When I first hooked it up I did have a problem but I don't exactly remember the issue. I packed it up and sent it to DiVinci in California and they fixed it and shipped it back no charge in less than 2 weeks. It has worked flawlessly for the last 10 years. I also bought a pair of Digital Research tower speakers in Mahogany also for $150 from the back of a truck. The are heavy with 4 ohm speakers, a 14 inch subwoofer and 2 midrange and 2 tweeters. The sound quality is incredible and no distortion. I have never even turned my 40 year old Sony Rec/Amp up over 3/4 of max. They rattle the windows. Don't listen to everything you hear. Sometimes people don't have a clue and talk out of their a hole. Find out for yourself. Most of the time you won't go wrong.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us