Recommendations for B&W type sound at lower price

Username: Glibc

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

I've been spoiled these past couple of years (or cursed if I consider B&W pricing - 750 pounds for 5 602s... that's something like 1700 canadian pesos!). I've been enjoying 5 B&W 602 S3s (hooked up to an HK AVR8000). Now I need to purchase my own and while I found a good deal on an AVR8000, the B&Ws do not come cheap at all. I haven't auditionned many speakers but among the few that I did, I found many coloured the sound a lot (too much bass for the most part. I like the B&W sound (not much coloration, extreemly crisp, versatile in application etc..) and would like to stick with that but pricing is making it hard. Is that type of sound a trait that's unique to B&W or could I find it in some other brand? (NHT, Paradigm etc.)

Thanks in advance,

Sacha

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 953
You need to listen and decide for yourself. A speaker whose sonic signature reminds me of B&W may have no resemblance to your ears.

Bronze Member
Username: Feot

Texas USA

Post Number: 36
Been in the business a while now and never have cared for the sound of B&W. Try listening to the NHT M5 or M6 speakers, much better immaging of sound.

Bronze Member

Texas USA

Post Number: 37
my sonic reception:
20Hz - 20000Hz

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the input FEOT. Unfortunately M5s are actually more expensive then B&W 602s and I am trying to get same sound (or close to) for less... Also, I can't find a dealer in Canada to even know if they're worth that $ to my ear (not sure if they just don't list them or if they just don't export them...)

Bronze Member

Texas USA

Post Number: 40
I sell them for 750/pair or even the sb3s are better than the 602s, the 602s are way too bright sounding. SB3=550/pair all nib.

Post Number: 7
Does anyone know of an NHT dealer in Canada where I could audition a few models?

Bronze Member

Texas USA

Post Number: 43
For an NHT dealer in Canada call Intandem Marketing at 866-682-6336, they are a distributor of NHT products so you will need to explain to them that you are looking for an NHT sales person in your area. I could not technically sell to you and still be able to obtain the manufacturers warranty unless you lived in my area nor could anyone else on the web.

Post Number: 10
Did anyone notice 31 posts disappearing from this Thread? This is really odd, a lot of advice in the other messages in this thread contained good advice; this morning all but 2 messages were gone. All references to other manufacturers (KEF,Paradigm,Wharfedale,Totem,Wilson etc.) are nowhere to be seen...

This is beginning to smell like a "sponsored" forum... That or most of the posts were against the terms of use?!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Oops, false alert: looks like there are 2 threads with the same exact title; here is the other (much more complete discussion) https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/150522.html

Bronze Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 52
Check out Ascend Acoustics too. Do a search over on the home audio board to find out more.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us