Onkyo ht-s760 receiver going shutting down randomly!!help

Jottle111
Unregistered guest
Maybe someone on this board can help me with this problem. I'm having a heck of a time with my ht s760 receiver. I have taken it into two separate authorized repair centers and neither one of them has been able to locate the problem. Essentially the receiver intermittently goes into amp protection mode and shuts off by itself (even when nothing is connected to it). If the unit is cold and I turn it on, it will shut off after 5 minutes consistently. then if I turn the unit back on after it has automatically shut down, the unit will work fine for the rest of the day. If the receiver is shut off for a couple house and gets cold, then the next time I turn it on (say the next evening when I get home from work) the unit will shtu off in amp protection mode again. This is pretty consistent but does not happen all the time (hence the repair centers not finding anything). I've called Onkyo to no avail. they recommend me sending my receiver (I pay shipping charges) to their regional repair center in Utah. I refuse to do this because the cetner may just send back the unit with the same lack of results. Does anyone know if I can convince Onkyo to give me a replacement? This is getting ridiculous. Or do I just have to keep going back to the repair centers until one of them finally sees the problem? It's so intermittent that this may be unlikely. Anyone know of any other options I have?
thanks.

Username: Visakk

Post Number: 3
Hey I too have a similar kind of problem with my SR601, have u been able find any solution for this..?

Jottle111
Unregistered guest
Siva,
I sent my receiver in for this freakin repair three separate times. I didin't have it for over 2 MONTHS. No matter how much description or instructions I gave the reapair techs, they still were unable to recreate the problem. As it stands, I just moved recently and the receiver has no shut down since. I really think it's just intermittant and cannot be identified. This is ridiculous service and since Onkyo's warranty only provides for repair instead of replacement I surely won't buy from them again. It has been the most aggravating problem I've ever experienced. I doubt if you take it in they'll be able to reproduce the problem. But your problem may be different than mine. I'm willing to bet it's a defective board or power supply. good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Daddyrabbit

Post Number: 48
Siva,

If the receiver hasn't shut down since you moved it might actually be understandable that the Onkyo repair techs could not duplicate the problem (points maybe to a power issue in your old place?). Had they rushed three replacements that did the same thing because of source power would anyone be any happier? While 2 months is a crappy turnaround time give the guys a break, If you can't currently replicate the fault how could they?

Jottle,
In the vein of above, have you tried to let a friend out of your house or power district use the amp for awhile? If not maybe try a UPS or power conditioner. Poor wiring and "dirty" power can cause an amazing range of "ghost" problems that seem to be non replicable in a different location.

Luck...

Unregistered guest
I lost a power supply after only two years on a TX DS575. $200.00 to repair. Not happy.Will never buy another Onkyo. Replaced it instead with a Denon AVR 2803.

Jottle111
Unregistered guest
So Louis, do you think this is a power supply problem? I have moved and the receiver is doing the exact same shut down behavior it did in my old house. I am reluctant to send it in a fourth time and have them tell me (falsely) that I'm making this stuff up. The receiver is tempermental and I just wish there were a way to have them replace what they "think" might be the problem without recreating the problem over and over. Any advice?

Dave from Ohio
Unregistered guest
Amp protection mode: My TX DS575 also turns itself off, especially at intense moments of dvd or if I send cd music to two rooms. It's like the system overloads and turns itself off, which basically makes the receiver pretty worthless. Is there no fix other than throwing it out and buying another receiver/amp?

Tim_inMA
Unregistered guest
Dave from Ohio...I have the exact same model as you and experienced the exact same problem, but in the following setting: I recently hooked my PC up to my receiver using Xitel's ProHiFi Link (TOSLINK Optical Connection). Everything worked fine until I tried to crank it up a bit using Soundgarden's "Burden In My Hand." Moderately loud seems to work fine. Louder than that causes the shut off. I've never had this problem with any other source turned up.

Hongxing
Unregistered guest
Hongxing from California, I bought my Onkyo HT-S760 about 18 months ago, experiencing the similar issue, it only happens at the time we turn it on, after it's on (may need try couple times), it works fine.

Jottle111
Unregistered guest
Hong and others,

I have finally had my unit verified and repaired. It has taken six months!!! and 7 visits to different repair centers before I could recreate the problem in front of the tech. Repair centers will NOT do a single thing to the unit unless they can verify the problem with their own eyes. Unluckily for me, the damn thing never shut down while under their care. Ultimately I was able to have a tech look at it with me when I hooked it up and it shut down in 5 minutes. As time goes by, the unit will start shutting off >3 times in a row before staying on permanently. I"m picking up my receiver this week and they said the problem was a loose connection with the AC in the back. This is most likely the cause of everyone's issues here on this thread. If the techs say they can't find an issue, tell them to run the reciever through AC checks and to check all the power connections. I'm willing to bet this is a widespread defect with this unit. good luck all.

Unregistered guest
my onkyo 676 keeps showing "PCM fs 48 khz" problem, but I do not have any video game equipment attached. Does anyone have any advice on what to look for or how to correct?

Steve Berry
Unregistered guest
Hi Becky,

Just curious, do you have a digital coax or optical cable plugged into the receiver from, say, a DVD player? If so, I'm wondering if the cable might be bad? Again, this is a real novice longshot, but I thought I'd try to help.

Steve

steves engineroom
Unregistered guest
I have repaired a few 575's and they suffer from dry joints on the power amp board also they go into prot mode with this fault some have failure of a supply line resistor in the psu which causes the unit to power up for a moment then go into stand by
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us