Recommendations please

joe shmo
Unregistered guest
I am about to put together a surround sound system(5.1).I'm looking for speakers at this point
- rear speakers have to be in-ceiling
- front should be satellite/subwoofer system
- budget around $500
I am not looking for anything great, as the budget indicates. Just a good set that will give me a nice sound.
I've been looking at 5.1 sets, but none come with in-ceiling speakers. So I figure I have to buy these seperate. Any thoughts, suggestions, are welcome. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 114
Aye, seperates... a total budget of $500 is very very limiting though, you may as well give up on a subwoofer for now.

May go with a pair of OEM Sound Design sc-791 in walls, they usually available for about 125 a pair online. that leaves 375...

Now if it were me... I would put that money into a decent pair of fronts you can grow with and add a sub later.

Def Tech Pro Monitor 100's are available for around 350 a pair and that is something you could grow with.

Even a remotely decent 8 inch powered sub is gonna run you 300 bucks, which is going to totaly blow your budget, So i would just go for mains and add as you can.

Bronze Member
Username: Mark_mcintosh

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 11
If you can find some fronts, www.partsexpress.com has a good 10" sub for around $125. I used to have one and the general consensus is that it is a great sub for the money, comparable to other subs in the $300 range. They also have good prices on in-walls if a name brand isn't a requirement. I will leave any suggestions for the fronts to others.

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
as a subnote to that, I have seen a variety of 200 dollar subs come and go over the years, some of them i was impressed with, only because of the little money i spent on them.

The weakest point in every configuration i have owned up until my purchase of a 1600 dollar bass module was the sub.

I can sum it up in one phrase:

"I never realised how empty was my soul until it was filled"

bubbahyde
Unregistered guest
Why not just get a set of Orb Mod1s for the front and their sub?

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
well, for starters they appear to be $520, which is more than the 500 he has to spend, and wont leave anything for the in ceiling rears...

Might could find some used somwhere i suppose...

None the less i havent heard a pair, so ill defer to your judgment on sound quality, But i have a real hard time looking at those satellites and envisioning much definition from them.

Bronze Member
Username: Mark_mcintosh

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 12
I agree that the Orbs are not appropriate for joe here, but you would be amazed at their sound. The detail and definition are two of of their strongest points. You won't find any used because most everyone, just like me, love the Orbs.

joe, there are tons of speakers on ebay, but make sure you read some of the "parking lot speakers" threads over in the home theater section. For your budget, that might be a good option. I am getting ready to list my Dayton sub.

joe shmo
Unregistered guest
Thanks for all your replies.
I have one more question. There was no mention about a center channel speaker yet. Can I just user the speakers on the TV for that (a nice Sony 32)? What are your recommendations there?

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
Arguably the center channel is refered to by many as the "most important speaker of the system"

As you didnt mention it in your post, i thought perhaps you had one already. Since you dont, you may want to alter my original recommendation and downgrade to def tech pro monitor 80's for fronts and go with a pro center 100 ... getting awfully tight on your budget though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us