Onkyo SKS-HT240 6.1 Speaker System CORRECTION

Bronze Member
Username: Matthew2582

Raymore, MO United States

Post Number: 19
OK there was a typo in my earlier message - the speakers are the new chrome beauties the SKS-HT240 from B&H Video at :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

As a former really serious audiophile distributor (used to be the UK importer for Monster, Dahlquist, Klipsch) I can vouch for the very clean and accurate sound produced by this system - at $ 349 for a SIX.1 system - they are a steal.

Hope this helps

Bronze Member
Username: Tmskilz

Post Number: 36
Matthew,
Since you seem to be a BIG fan & supporter of these speakers, let me ask you a few questions.

1) How well do these speakers handle demanding DVD's with high impact special sound effects & soundtrakcs?

2) How do these speakers handle SACD & DVD-A music?

3) How well are they shielded to minimize & protect against interference?

Your feedback & honesty would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Username: Nepenthes

Post Number: 2
Matthew,
I read your review of SKS-HT240, and I'm very impressed. I'm not based in US. It seems the SKS-HT240 is not available here. Instead, my local store here has a package consisting of Onkyo TX-SR502, and SKS-HT230, which is a scaled down 5.1 system of SKS-HT240. It sounds wonderful. It's going for below US$750. I don't quite understand why they do this, as the TX-SR502 is a 6.1 system. Would appreciate some advice, thanx!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
This reply is for : TMSKILZ and Nepenthes Sun

First to TMSKILZ questions : I am not a 'BIG fan & supporter' of the Onkyo HT240's in the way you seem to imply. I offer critical audio assessments of audio equipment and wanted to draw attention to these new speakers from Onkyo, as they represent a real achievement from a design, price and performance perspective. So many people were going overboard on the Onkyo 770 HTIB - which I have sharp criticisms of, with regard to the 770 packaged speakers, that I wanted people to know of and evaluate the 240's which are in a totally different league SONICALLY.

The 240's have extremely good dynamic and transient performance on DVD and audio sources. They are even better on SACD & DVD-A. Their shielding is exemplary.

As for Nepenthes Sun's questions. You don't say where you are writing from but if you can buy the Onkyo TX-SR502 and SKS-HT230 for $750 - you have a tremendous sonic bargain. I wish Onkyo had released the 240's here is the USA as a 5.1 system - as you know the 240's are a 6.1. system.

Sure, the 502 is a 6/1 receiver - most receivers are now - but quite frankly - so what ? Listen - the main thing is this - you are not buying a system to impress your neighbours or to be a super-spec snob (or maybe you are :-) - you buy a system which you can afford and which can provide you with a satisfying musical experience for your budget. The Onkyo receiver and 230/240 package will do that very well ! I cannot think of another system which rivals this combination for less than $1500.

Hope this helps.

Matthew

Username: Nepenthes

Post Number: 3
Thanks Matthew!
That was very helpful!
I'm from Singapore.
And no, I'm not interested in impressing my neighbours ;p
And yes, I was getting quite carried away by the specs. The retailers here don't provide very good auditing environments, so I have to rely on the specs and reviews. I've found only one store that sells this package, but the sales rep is a big fan of Yamaha, and recommended a system with RX-V550, with somewhat better specs for a bit less.
I couldn't decide between the two systems.
Thanks for injecting some earth sense there!
Nepenthes

Bronze Member
Username: Ub4me

Louisville, KY

Post Number: 11
Matthew,
After reading your comment on SKS-HT240, I went to Circuit City to check out the sound. My local CC set LS-V955 as a demonstration with a big plasma display, and they were playing Star Wars.
However, the sound quality was worse than I expected. When I turned the volume up around 65-70, it made distorted sound.
And I plugged my minidisk to play my favorite music and movie clips. But they were sounded like $150 HITB.
I'm not sure what was the problem whether it was the receiver, wires, or speakers.

If I connect these speakers to TX-SR502, will it solve the quality issue that I experienced at CC? And how much less power should I expect than SKS-HT520?

Thanks in advance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Well ub4me - I can tell you that CC is notoriously bad at setting up and calibrating systems. The SKS-HT240's are infinitely cleaner, more detailed sounding with a much more accurate bottom end than the 770's speakers.

I think you will be delighted with the 240's but if not - you can always return them. In combination with the TX-SR502 and a decent source DVD player - you will have a fine system.

Regards

Matthew

Bronze Member

Louisville, KY

Post Number: 13
I alreday bought one.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/104711.html

Thank you, Matthew.

Unregistered guest
Hi,

ub4me, I was wondering if you did buy the 240s and if they worked out well. Thanks

Sav

Izayik
Unregistered guest
Matthew E Therrien: I have a quick question for you. You state that you really like the SKS-HT240's better than that SKS-HT520 speakers of the 770 Onkyo HTIB system. When you did your assessment what type of audio equipment did you use to compare? Did you have both the SKS-HT520s and the SKS-HT240s plugged into the same receiver?... Which receiver did you use? Where did you assess both of these systems? At home? In a studio? What type of input device did you use? CD player? DVD player?

I'm just curious because I'd like to beable to assess systems just the same. That way I know what type of equipement I should ask to be hooked up to each so I can make a good judgement on which system I like better.

Thank you for your help!

Bronze Member

Louisville, KY

Post Number: 14
Yes, I got the speaker system.
So far, I love it very much.
Its out-of-box performance was poor. Because 240's low-mid range is weak due to its small cones (3 1/8"), so I had to make some tweaks.
I boosted bass all the way up in the receiver (TX-SR520), and changed crossover to 150hz. After the adjustment, I'm pretty much happy with it.
And it's also powerful enough to fill my living room (22Wx18Dx12H).
The best thing of 240 is the style. Its smallness and elegance make this speakers one of the best I've ever seen.
I still think the speakers of S770 are better for general music performance. However 240 is better for movie and classical music performance.
If your priority is style and clarity, and your budget is limited, this systme is the "ONE".

I hope this can help your question.

Izayik
Unregistered guest
So if I liked more pop and rock music as well as listen to music more than watching movies and listening to classical music, then the 770 system would be the choice for me?

Thanks for your help!

Bronze Member

Louisville, KY

Post Number: 15
Yes, that's what I think.
The HT240 has smaller cones, so they produce much less mid-low range compared to HT520's.
Even though I tweaked some for HT240, I still don't get the richful mid-low range sound of S770 speakers when I play pop or rock music.
However HT520 cannot beat 240's clarity and style.

These are just my opinions. You'd better check out those by yourself.

Izayik
Unregistered guest
Thanks ub4me.

Matthew E Therrien, are you still reading this post ? I feel that since you have a good background in audio equipment. I thought I'd try to learn about comparing systems. I'd still like to find out where and how I should sample these two speaker sets so I can make a good judgement. If you have a moment to inform me about what other equipment you used and how you sampled them. I'd like to learn about this stuff as I am just a newbie to all this. Thank you Matthew.

Unregistered guest
Izayik: I just made a post here about the 770 system. https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/68618.html

Check it out.

Username: Steelydan

Just to let you know..

you can buy the SKS-HT240's and TX-SR502 bundle at Vanns.com for $565. I just bought mine recently but have not arrived yet.

Username: Ikucera

Topeka, Ks

Post Number: 1
Scott,

Just wondering if you had received you bundle from Vanns.com (240 and 502). Any problems?

Bronze Member
Username: Steelydan

Post Number: 15
Ian,

Yes, I received them both in the promised 3 business days without any problems (I live one time zone away from Vanns). Not bad for free shipping. I was very satisfied. The speakers and receiver arrived fully intact and well packed (in original retail boxes). They were informative in letting you know of the status of your order as well via emails (including tracking info etc..)

I was so satisfied that I ordered a new onkyo DV-CP702 (DVD/CD changer) from them also and it arrived without a hitch again in 3 days. They double boxed this item which made me happy.

I have everything hooked up now and everything is working as advertised. I am no audiophile but my jaw literarly dropped when listening to the opening battle sequence of 'Gladiator'. The speakers do not look like they can handle the power but they do. The subwoofer fills in the lows and mids and provides a hefty punch(In fact, I turned it down below mid-level).

In my opinion, I dont think I could have bought a better home theater/music system than this for my price range (Receiver, speakers and DVD changer all for $750). Along with the performance, everything looks fantastic.. I chose the silver finish for the receiver and DVD and they really go well together with the aluminum speakers (although the black would look good too).

In short.. I got great products from a reliable company (Vanns.com).

Username: Ikucera

Topeka, Ks

Follow up question. Can anyone give me a link or a brief review of the differences between the Onkyo TX-SR502 and the HT-R520(comes with 770). Any help would be appreciated

Username: Turkish621

Post Number: 9
I am also very interested in the differences between the Onkyo TX-SR502 and the HT-R520.

Unregistered guest
Dear all

I live in Hong Kong and am very much interested in SKS-HT240, which is however not available in Hong Kong.

Would anyone here please check how can I order it and have it shipped to HK? Much grateful for your assistance.

Leung

Bronze Member
Username: Skarekat

Malvern, PA USA

Post Number: 11
ub4me and Scott Johnson:
How are you guys enjoying the Onkyo TX-SR502 and SKS-HT240? I too liked the specs for that combination on Vanns.com. The price too seemed perfect for me. Let me know if you have any complaints. I'm also considering that system, but I'm not sure. Your feedback will certainly help. Thanks in advance.

Username: Johne1000

Post Number: 1
After extensive search and reading people opinions-specially in this forum, I bought the SKS-HT240. I tested the speakers using the Onkyo TX-SR502 receiver, and the Onkyo DV-CP702 universal player. Also, I tested 4-years old Onkyo wooden speakers (My old set). The room is about 300 sqft, hardwood floors, and 14 ft high ceiling.
My older speakers set outperformed the SKS-HT240 by miles. My old set was not expensive either; it came in an Onkyo HTB.
I bought the new set to replace my old Onkyo set. Boy, I made a big mistake. I spent about $800 on the new set, and I was very very disappointed. My older speakers were much stronger. For example, I set the volume on my receiver on about 40 and it was so loud that I could not increase anymore, however when I hooked it up with the SKS-HT240 it was so week. And No, it wasn't the wires. I used 12/2 Gouge wires, with gold plated banana plugs. The sound quality was immediately noticeable. My older speaker sound much deeper and clearer.
For people who want to buy speakers, or put together and HT system, I suggest to stay away from this set, unless the look is more important to you.

Username: Johne1000

I have just put a HT together. SKS-HT240, TX-SR502, and DV-CP702. I have the system for 2 weeks so far. Here is what I think:
The TX-SR502 is an excellent receiver. Many features, good sound quality, the best that you can get for the money.
The DV-CP702 has very good picture quality; however I had only for 2 weeks, so I can't comment on other aspects yet.
The SKS-HT240 is a very good looking set, however it has poor sound quality. It underperformed my older Onkyo speakers. I won't recommend for good sound quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us