Newbie without a clue

Anonymous

Need Help on choosing a good all around HTIB in the $300 to $400 range. Will be watching movies (of course) and music CD's. My wife also wants to view JPEG on it. I see that Onkyo is popular here. But I don't see that all important JPEG feature listed in the desription. I don't expect to blow the windows out of the house for that price. Just want something decent and keep everyone happy. Thanks

Anonymous

BIT OF ADVICXE DONT BECXOME A AUDIOPHILE, THEIR STUPID. ITS ALL HYPE REMEWBER THAT. AND 400 FOR A SOUND SYSTEM? TO O MUCH MY FREIND. LOOK AT WALMART AND PAY HUNDREDS LESS, AND STOP MAKING THE MIDDLEMAN RICH...

Bronze Member
Username: Kbk

Post Number: 19
Sure, go for Walmart and have a system that will burn up pretty soon. But seriously, go for an Onkyo HTS-570 for $$270 and a Philips DVP-642 DVD player for $69. You'll be all set.

tiel
Unregistered guest
I have a newbie question on subwoofers. Saw an rca rt2600 i believe is the model and it says the sub is powered. I looked on the back and there is no power cord only speaker wire from the receiver. How is this a powered sub? Thanks for any help.

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 39
Ok, first of all, we audiophiles take great pride in our audio appreciation. If you do not see the need to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on home audio, then don't do it; but please don't patronize those of us who see value in such investments. After all, I could just as easily rip on you for being an ignorant hillbilly who wouldn't know good sound if you were in the studio listening to it, but I choose not to say such things out of respect for your personal ethics. Please do not insult me and my "kind", as I do not insult you and yours.

love,

Audiophiles of America

tiel
Unregistered guest
Cyrus,

Can you help me on my subwoofer question? I have seen several more that say powered on the literature but do not have a power cord that are in my price range. Are these companies pulling a fast one? Many thanks for any info

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 45
Ok, in order for a sub to be considered "powered" it has to have it's own built in, powered amplifier. If it doesn't have that, then it is called a "passive" subwoofer. You may either use a receiver or a separate amplifier to power a passive sub. but honestly, powered, or "active" subs tend to be the most common subs out there. You can find some fairly nice active subs around even at nationwide retail stores. Circuit has a few velodynes and a couple infinitys that are pretty decent, Best Buy has the Klipsch and JBL subs, and if you have an Ovation near you, go hear the Paradigm Seismic Series (the name says it all).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us