Center channel not working...

jdallen23
Unregistered guest
I have an old Sony DVP-S530D Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro-Logic DVD player. I recently upgraded my home theater reciever to a Panasonic SA-XR50. The Panny is a DTS 96/24, DTS-ES, DD-EX decoding unit. When I connect to my reciever using the 5.1 outputs I get no sound coming from the center channel. The surrounds, L&R, and sub all play but there is no dialogue/sound at all coming fromt the center channel speaker.

I have connected it up using the digital output and all of the signal is correctly represented to the corresponding speakers. However my dvd player automatically downsamples to 48kHz using the digital output and I would prefer to have the option to hear the high rez signals output from the analog jacks when available.

Is this because of a possible conflict in the way that the DVD player is decoding the information and once it reaches the reciever it is trying to decode it again?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 109
Make certain you set up your DVD player to output Dolby Digital or DTS.

Username: Jdallen23

Post Number: 1
Thanks for the reply. These settings have been verified. It is strange to me that this is occuring.

I still have the feeling that it is because there is a decoding conflict between the two players as I have changed out cables and checked to see if it was a faulty connection.

Perhaps the center output died conincidentally when I changed the reciever out, doubtful I would imagine though. I will do some more troubleshooting tonight/tomorrow.

*This just gives me a good excuse to buy a new universal player. =) Although, I would rather get this figured out so I don't have to spend that much cash right at the moment, with a wedding coming up. Hey, maybe we can register for one!

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 142
One other check: substitute another speaker for center channel and see if it works.

Aaron S Miller
Unregistered guest
And another option is most A/V units have a "Test Tone" on them. Just run that and see if sound comes out of all 6 speakers.

I don't think there would be a conflict as far as which unit is decoding. When you use an optical/coaxial cable the decoding is done on the reciever side, when you use the indivual "analog cables" and hook them to the reciever, decoding is done on the DVD side..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us