Those with Onkyo experience please chime in.

ScottofMichigan
Unregistered guest
I have a few questions I would like someone with a little patience and time to answer. First of all I have the Onkyo 770 system, and probably like most of you have tweaked and messed with the settings over and over again to achieve the perfect settings. My first question is this, from what I have read speakers of this size should be set to "small", but I have read on here by many they you should set them to large...is that correct? What is the difference really. I've tried both settings on the Matrix (lobby scene) and cannot really tell a difference. This is however my first dive into home theater so my ears may not be as trained as some of you. My next question deals with db settings. I currently have the fronts set to 0db, the center at 2db, and the surround backs at 6db...is that about right as far as where they should probably be set? Next question deals with the sub crossover setting. I've kept mine set at 100Hz, is that about right for this system and how much do you keep your sub cranked on the back of the sub? My final question I would like answered is what is the purpose of connecting component video to your reciever. The reciever is for audio purposes. I have my dvd digital audio going to the reciever and the video from the dvd going to the tv. I have no video connected to the reciever. Is it simply for like controling menu funtions with the onkyo remote? A lot of questions I know but I would truly appreciate your help in helping me understand these things better. Again thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 48
I have the same (ok similar, HT-S777, 770 with DVD) system. And I too messed with the settings upon setup. (I'm a settings freak :P )

From what I learned in setting up three of these systems is that the default settings are a pretty decent start. For most, this will be sufficient. I did not see a huge difference in setting the fronts to Large as some suggest, but I did see a difference when I set the OptiResponse Equalizer to ON.

As far as the level settings, this should be done after the speakers are mounted and you have replaced the, sorry to say, crappy wire that was included with the system. The levels should be adjusted to allow each speaker to appear to be at the same listening level. This can be done at the setup menu (preferred since it is saved) or during a movie from the remote (settings temporary).

Again based on your acoustics, your sub is probably good from 100-150hz. Have a lot of fluffy stuff you may need more bass, set closer to 150. Lots of hard surfaces, the mains will supply plenty, set closer to 100.

Connecting any Video sources to the receiver is a matter of simplicity and personal preference. When you switch your inputs the video follows. But like most of us, you probably don't have everything producing video on the same signal level, so you end up changing TV inputs anyhow. Your setup is probably good the way it is if you, and those you love, can follow the steps to change sources.

ScottofMichigan
Unregistered guest
Well I did replace the crappy wire from the get go with 16 gauge speaker wire, I also replaced the sub wire with a much better wire. If I may ask, what db level do you have everything set at on your system? As far as our room it is rather small with carpeted floors a couch and lazy boy (cloth material) all within close proximity to the mains 7 ft or so. So if I understand correctly a lower crossover (say 80hz or lower) sends more base to your mains where as a higher crossover (120hz or higher) sends the majority of base to the subwoofer? If that's the case it would seem that a higher crossover would be better suited for this system since these mains don't produce a lot of base. One thing you didn't mention is what db do you set your sub at? Do you set it high/lower/or the same as the other speakers. How high should I set the sub on the back of the sub (the little dial)? Again, thanks a bunch.

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 52
I have a 16x34 room with Acoustical drop ceiling and carpet. Sweet spot is a drop pillow couch with opposing loveseat and lazyboy. Walls are concrete and wood paneling, mostly squared wall hangings and decor. Typical TV/family room with home gym at far end.

Couch is at 14' from 55" tv, so TV area is 16x16. With all that said. I have my settings;
Front Small 14'
Center Small 14'
RRear Small 8'
LRear Small 8'
CRear Small 16'
Xover 100hz, dial at 1/3
I use the system test to set levels so they sound like the same speaker. Sub is set at 0

Onkyo user
Unregistered guest
Best test to do is first measure the distance from the speakers to your listening position. You'll probably want someone to sit down on the couch while someone else measures the distances by tape measure or a good eyeball guess.

After you input those distances into the receiver, run through the Speaker Levels under Setup. Then close your eyes (as the listener on the couch or whatever position you prefer) and try to equalize all the sound levels with your mains setting the benchmark. There's no good "dB" setting since each room is different with different acoustic properties. But as a general rule, you should put the "dB" levels of the left, right, and center surrounds higher than those of the fronts and center. The subwoofer should also match the similar sound level. Place the subwoofer in the corner of the room if at possible. You'll have to adjust the dial setting on the subwoofer to see if it'll distort at higher settings. In my opinion, you'll be better off setting the "dB" levels high on the receiver than to adjust the dial setting on the subwoofer. My theory is that you'll want to send as much signal output as possible (without distortion) and amplify it accordingly rather than send out a small amount of signal from the receiver and try to amplify it to the max. This theory works when dubbing tapes from CD's and what not. You'll want the best possible signal from the source and then amplify it, not vice versa.

rlkje
Unregistered guest
The optiresponse equilizer changes the volume of the test tone that is used to set speaker levels. If you set the speaker levels with optiresponse turned on, the surround information will be played approximately 6 db louder than normal.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us