No Surround with Onkyo HTS-770

Username: Kymist

Post Number: 1
This is my first post so please bear with me if I don't supply enough information. I just set up my new 770 and have several problems. I have connected my tv outpput audio to the video 2 input and have used a digitial coaxial cable from my dvd to the receiver. All of the video goes straight to my tv bypassing the receiver. Right now I am using the audio wire that came with the system though I plan to change it to 16 gauge later. I have gone thru the tone test and know that each of my speakers is properly connected. I have also made adjustments for speaker distances and have tried changing the speaker levels. For my speaker configuration everything is set at small and the crossover is 100 Hz. Here are my problems:

1. When using the tuner, the speakers function properly in any of the DSP modes but when I switch to any of the Surround modes, the surround speakers will only output sound if the tuner is playing music rather than voice such as in talk radio or the radio host speaking. I thought the surround modes were able to convert two channel material to 5.1 or 6.1 sound.

2. When playing VCR tapes that are Dobly Digital, all of the DSP modes work properly. However, I only get sound from the L, R, and C speakers when in the Neo 6 Music or PLIIx Music modes - no surround speakers. With the Neo 6 Cinema and PLIIX Movie I get sound primarily from the C speaker - the L & R are very muted. I observe the exact same behavior when just playing my TV.

3. When playing a DTS 5.1 dvd only the L & R speakers will work in the Dolby Digital or Stereo modes. When I press the display mode the signal format states that is is dolby d but the channel information says 3/2 - there is no 1 for the subwoofer. I observe the same behavior when I switch the receiver to the PLIIx or DD Ex modes. Thus, only the L & R speakers will work in any of the modes for DD even though I have connected the audio on my DVD player to the receiver using a digital coaxial cable. It is interesting to note that when playing CD's on my dvd player all of the speakers function properly in all of the modes.

I have gone thru the manual multiple times but maybe I am missing something. I had already called Onkyo once (waited over 30 minutes) to find out if I could just feed the audio to the receiver and send the video directly to the tv; they said that was the best way to do it.

I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us