Sony HT-DDW760

William R
Unregistered guest
I am in the market for an affordable small home theater audio system and am wondering if the DDW760 is a good way to go. I have searched the internet and found little info about the product, which has me worried about taking the plunge. I have gone to a few stores and listened to various systems and been generally pleased with the sound of Sony products. I liked the Onkyo HT-770 a bunch but the speakers are just too big for the application (small living room with the TV not the focal point). I also listened to the Onkyo HT-570 and thought it sounded pretty bad (but the size and price are close to right). Among many others I listened to the Sony HT-DDW660 and thought it sounded good enough; however, the total lack of connectivity is a real downside (but for $200 who can argue). I have not found the HT-DDW760 in a store so I have not been able to listen to that specific model. Here are a few questions that any assistance would be helpful:

- Is the Sony HT-DDW760 such a new system that there are no ratings, discussion, etc online or does it just not sell.

- Being that the HT-DDW760 is selling for about $250 and seemingly has more features than the 660 model, where else might they have skimped to only have increased the price by $50? Speakers?

- Is it reasonable to assume that the speakers on the HT-DDW760 sound as good or better than the HT-DDW660 speakers (again the price is only marginally more).

Unregistered guest
I have the exact same situation and questions as William R. Anyone know the differences between the 760 and the 660?

Unregistered guest
I have ordered a 760 (hasnt arrived yet). In a nutshell, the difference is that it is a bit more powerful (500W against 420W I think) and it has more additional audio inputs (5 versus 2), which is quite handy if you have other sources, such as your computer, or other devices. It also has an active subwoofer, instead of passive as in the 660. The low frequency response is much better.
I've done the whole research and have found this to be the best alternative in the market for this budget. And also, you may want to get it from Crutchfield (www.crutchfield.com), they give free shipping, making it the cheapest option.
Hey, if you do end up buying from them, make sure you tell them you got a referral from me, as I may get a discount in future purchases! :-)
(e-mail me back for contact info if you do)

My two cents!
Rod

Anonymous

I have just bought the Sony HT-DDW760 home theatre system. I am very pleased with the acquisition. I have the Philips DVD 727K DVD player. I am new to the latest theatre systems having toyed with Quad systems & decoders in the 70's. The system works well - good S/N. I have a large room 6mx6m and the power is adequate.

I have discovered notes and chords in my music which I have never heard before. Classical music is pure & clean. The bass is not muddy and the treble not tinny. In short - it is the best hifi investment I have made. Its just a pity it has taken 30 years for sound to become so pure... The wait was worth it!

Username: Glenmans

Post Number: 1
I have just bought the Sony HT-DDW760 home theatre system. I am very pleased with the acquisition. I have the Philips DVD 727K DVD player. I am new to the latest theatre systems having toyed with Quad systems & decoders in the 70's. The system works well - good S/N. I have a large room 6mx6m and the power is adequate.

I have discovered notes and chords in my music which I have never heard before. Classical music is pure & clean. The bass is not muddy and the treble not tinny. In short - it is the best hifi investment I have made. Its just a pity it has taken 30 years for sound to become so pure... The wait was worth it!

Username: Quegyboe

Post Number: 5
I just recently purchased the same Sony Home Theater in a Box myself. I think the system is a great bang for the buck. The sub doesn't break any bass records but the price was right. Setup was easy and the remote is great in both ease of use and style. The wires included in the package are poor quality but they work well enough and can be replaced easily. Overall, if I had to make the choice again, I would still buy the Sony system and I will recommend it to anyone who asks about it.

jothenoob
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know how this model compares with the Panasonic SC-HT05?

annoonn
Unregistered guest
It is exactly same as 660 in functionality, features except a) 500 vs 420 watts, b) powered Sub Woofer, and c) MORE INPUTS.

the 660 i had sounded fantastic..returned because of 2 input limit.

18 ga wire for surround speakers will have significant drop off so use some 16 ga. wires for rear speakers.

chop of extra lengths of speaker wires (if using supplieed 18 ga cheapo ones) to minimize drop-off to front and sub woofer.

sound quality drops with 18 ga wires only if wire lenght exceeds 20 feet.

Unregistered guest
I have recently purchased the HT-DDW760 based on hearing the HT-DDW660 on in-store demo in Circuit City. In all, I listened to a 1000W Koss system (not in the same ballpark, quality-wise and sounded very coarse and brash in the upper reaches of the volume scale with over-amplified mid-frequencies to obtain decent volume), Yamaha YHT-150 (excellent sub for its size but $300 system), Onkyo HTS-570 (pretty good sound, very nicely put-together receiver) and the Panasonic SC-HT05. I didn't really want to spend much more than $200 and the $300 systems I listened to weren't significantly better than the best $200 systems to warrant the extra expense. In the end, I narrowed it down to the Sony HT-DDW660 and the Panasonic SC-HT05. I listened to both systems side-by-side using the same demo CD. The Panasonic may just have the edge in pure sound quality... the bass is tight and punchy from its active sub and the overall sound is very detailed. Also, it plays comfortably at high volumes without distortion (600w total output). The Sony HT-DDW660 had a similarly detailed sound and had slightly 'flabbier' but impressively deep bass from its passive sub compared to the Panasonic. Volume (420w total output) wasn't quite as high as the Panasonic and the sub struggled with bass-heavy tracks at high volumes with the driver audibly hitting its end-stop and 'fluttering'. In terms of price, the Panasonic SC-HT05 was on sale at $225 and the Sony HT-DDW660 at $180. I came away thinking 'if only the HT-DDW660's weaknesses (ie. a bit more volume and a more robust sub) could be addressed, I wouldn't hesitate'. Then, I discovered the HT-DDW760 online and read the spec sheet... more inputs, 80w more total output compared with the HT-DDW660, a 'proper' 2-driver centre speaker (the 660 uses 5 identical cube-shaped speakers) and, most importantly, an active sub. I couldn't find the HT-DDW760 on demo anywhere, but found it in-stock at Datavision Computer in NYC (20 subway ride from home) for $220. For me, it was a no-brainer and I knew the $40 extra spent on the 760 would be money well-spent. I've had the system installed for a couple of weeks now and it's very impressive for the money. Sure, you can make the sub panic if you turn the level control up too far with bass-heavy material played at high volumes, but it has more control than the 660 and a little more headroom in the volume department. A nice added bonus with the active sub that comes with the 760 is that the cable connecting the sub to the receiver is a separate RCA cable connecting the pre-amp stage of the receiver to the power-amp on the sub. With the 660, the speaker cable is hard-wire to the sub, making a cable upgrade a tricky proposition (you'd certainly invalidate your warranty). The living room in our apartment is approx. 15' x 12' with hard floor and the volume and bass from the 760 is more than adequate. Music would sound better played on a dedicated HiFi system, but the 760 does a decent-enough job. In fact, the limiting factor with this system (probably true of many HTIB's using such small units) are the under-sized front speakers; they tend to struggle at higher volume levels and I get nervous about turning the volume up past the 55 mark (max is 70) in case I blow the front speakers. However, for the money, I can't complain and it would be a nice upgrade to swap-out the supplied front and centre speakers for bigger units in the future.

For the money, I would definitely recommend the Sony HT-DDW760, but make sure you audition the Panasonic SC-HT05, too!

Unregistered guest
i have seen two systems one is onkyo ht570and the other one yamaha nsp 100 with yahmaha htt 5730 i am really consused can anyone help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us